The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Jacksonverse Elves during the Balcoth reign of terror

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 1 2018, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 10 (4764 views)
Shortcut
Jacksonverse Elves during the Balcoth reign of terror Can't Post

I know Gondor and the Eotheod was the main protaginists of the war, but in the movieverse, do you think Thranduil may perhaps assisted Men by sending a small squad lead by Legolas and Tauriel during the war? Because surely Thranduil did see the threat from the easterlings as very significant to his Woodland realm.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 1 2018, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 10 (4745 views)
Shortcut
Balchoth? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I don't think so. After the death of Thranduil's queen and the end of the Wood-elves' war with Gundabad, I doubt that he took any further interest in events outside of the Woodland Realm. If the Elves of Mirkwood had given aid to the Éothéod then I doubt that the Rohirrim and the Men of Gondor would have later possessed such suspicion and terror towards Galadriel and the Elves of Lothlorien. Jackson's version of Thranduil is too cold and withdrawn to have done as you suggest.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 1 2018, 8:09pm

Post #3 of 10 (4742 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn, the dunedain and Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

So if there were some encounters between the Woodland Realm and the world of Men, it must be after the Battle of The Five Armies right? Perhaps in the movieverse, Thengel with Aragorn met Thranduil? It would been great to see interaction between high ranking men and elves in future adaptions, because that was surely lacking in the jacksonverse.
I do hope Amazon includes some parts of the movieverse into their prequel adaptations. I feel actors like Lee Pace in my opinion was casted perfectly as Thranduil. Especially the looks.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Jan 1 2018, 8:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 1 2018, 9:30pm

Post #4 of 10 (4731 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil in the Movieverse [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, by the time of the War of the Ring Aragorn seems to have met virtually every important person between the Grey Havens and Minas Tirith--with a few exceptions such as Boromir and Faramir. I would not be surprised to learn that he had visited the Druadan Forest at some point and knew either Ghan-buri-Ghan or his father. We know that in Jackson's Middle-earth, Aragorn had encountered Thranduil sometime before the Battle of Five Armies; we just don't know the circumstances of that meeting other than that Legolas was not present. The Elvenking might have been on a hunt and came across the young Ranger somewhere in northern Mirkwood. Aragorn might have infiltrated one of the Wood-elves' woodland banquets only to be discovered while already feasting. Tongue

I find it hard to imagine any circumstances, though, where Thranduil would have had occasion to meet with King Thengel of Rohan. They just have too little in common, and no outside interests that would bring them together. It's more likely that we might see Thranduil and Aragorn both in Dale with Dáin Ironfoot and King Bard or his son and successor Bain, perhaps during a celebration on an anniversary of the Battle of Five Armies. I can imagine Strider showing up for that.

I'm not counting on Jackson's films being directly referenced in the Amazon series, though there might be at least a few nods to them. I suspect the showrunners will recast where roles are repeated. Actors from the films might cameo in the same roles or different ones.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 1 2018, 9:33pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 1 2018, 11:19pm

Post #5 of 10 (4713 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil was very insular - he did not concern himself with events outside his [In reply to] Can't Post

borders - other than some trade with Laketown etc.

In fact, most of the realms of the age were very inward looking. Galadriel and Elrond may have had duties on the White Council but the time line is very long between events. Rohan, barely seems aware of them. The Shire and Bree also are almost unknown. Of course, the dwarves were famously insular.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 1 2018, 11:25pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 1 2018, 11:51pm

Post #6 of 10 (4701 views)
Shortcut
Insular Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of course, the dwarves were famously insular.

Although, ironically, the Dwarves were dependent on trade with the outside world for foods, textiles and other necessities, selling their crafts and services to acquire what they did not produce for themselves.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 2 2018, 12:17am

Post #7 of 10 (4698 views)
Shortcut
Taking some liberty [In reply to] Can't Post

Since this is the Jacksonverse, and seeing how he likes to changes thing, I wouldn't say it's impossible that Thengel could have met with Thranduil with the company of Aragorn in the Woodland realm. Perhaps discussing the skirmishes of orcs and dunlendings attacking their homes.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 2 2018, 3:23am

Post #8 of 10 (4688 views)
Shortcut
Still unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since this is the Jacksonverse, and seeing how he likes to changes thing, I wouldn't say it's impossible that Thengel could have met with Thranduil with the company of Aragorn in the Woodland realm. Perhaps discussing the skirmishes of orcs and dunlendings attacking their homes.

Jackson's Middle-earth or not, the Dunlendings aren't a threat to the Woodland Realm, they are hundreds of miles from Northern Mirkwood. And its not as though the Horse-lords would form an alliance with the Wood-elves; Thengel had enough to do just gaining the confidence of his own people.

You seem very invested in this notion for some reason. Are you thinking about it as a fan-fic? It really doesn't work any other way. Sorry. Unsure

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jan 2 2018, 5:23pm

Post #9 of 10 (4625 views)
Shortcut
Fan fiction surely [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a thought I had about Thranduil interaction with the higher lords of Men. I guess til will never happen, because there won't be any ME movies from the Jacksonverse.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 2 2018, 5:32pm

Post #10 of 10 (4622 views)
Shortcut
So, not asking as a Loremaster. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see. I didn't get the impression that you were running a role-playing game campaign for either The One Ring or Adventures in Middle-earth, but one never knows. On the other hand, the standard rpg motto is: Your table, your rules! Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.