Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*looks around, pulls keys out of pocketses* Let's open the doors - it's the last-of-the-year Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 5:46pm

Post #1 of 50 (860 views)
Shortcut
*looks around, pulls keys out of pocketses* Let's open the doors - it's the last-of-the-year Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, one and all, to the final Fiesta of 2017! It's quiet around here, but I'll put out some sandwiches (tuna, egg, ham, chicken salad, and others) and some hot chowders (clam, fish, corn and potato, even chicken veggie) for those trying to shake off the chill.

I awoke to a clear but frosty 6 F(-15 C) this morning - how sparkly the stars were, when I walked under the trees to the mailbox to retrieve the newspaper in the pre-dawn hour! The winter air is so crisp and clean.

So what are your plans for this weekend? Tell us how you're going to ring in the New Year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2017, 7:33pm

Post #2 of 50 (788 views)
Shortcut
It must be quiet around here if I am first! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's good - I like the sound of those sarnies. Smile

I have no plans apart from continuing to play nursemaid to Mr Midge. He is healing up pretty well, but a nasty bite on his side is needing a bit of extra care. We have been out for a couple of little walks. He is keen as mustard, which helps me. I must admit I am hyper-vigilant at this stage, but hopefully that will fade.
All going well, the stitches on his face will come out in the middle of next week. We are both pretty tired of the dreaded cone...

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 8:11pm

Post #3 of 50 (784 views)
Shortcut
Are our Northern Hemisphere people still abed? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mr and I managed to find almost the only place in New Zealand where it rained over Christmas :) We still had a lovely time in the mountains, though, walking among beech forest and along lakes and streams. We got wet, but that didn't matter.

Home again, and back to sunshine (though by the forecast that won't last). It'll be a quiet New Year for us, nibbling on goodies and watching DVDs.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 8:14pm

Post #4 of 50 (775 views)
Shortcut
Very glad to hear little Midgey is healing well. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like he's in remarkably good spirits, considering the trauma he's been through. He certainly couldn't have a more attentive nurse.

Best wishes to you both.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 29 2017, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 50 (772 views)
Shortcut
busy de-decorating [In reply to] Can't Post

is that a word? Anyway, I've been packing away ornaments and the Christmas dishes. Tree still up with lights; we'll leave that up for a while along with the outside lights - it's so dark at our latitude in winter that I think the holiday lights should stay up until Valentine's Day at least! Also washing the sheets from the guest beds, although we're not quite done with company - my niece is skiing with her dad's family today & will be visiting friends in the town she grew up in north of here, but back on Tuesday for one last evening with her auntie & grandpa before flying back to NYC Wednesday.

I told my niece & nephews this holiday "remember all those trips I took you on when you were little? Well, you have 4 years to come up with the trip you are going to take ME on when I turn 70!" They've jumped enthusiastically on this, floating ideas like hiking the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainier (a 10-day trip!), trekking across western Scotland, renting a camper van and touring Iceland . . . you can see that they understand that I have no interest in urban getaways OR hot places!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 8:54pm

Post #6 of 50 (762 views)
Shortcut
Those trips all sound fab! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your niece and nephews obviously understand you very well. :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 9:48pm

Post #7 of 50 (755 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that cone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which must be put up with...the poor pup! So glad to hear he's healing well and going for walks and has got his spirits up!

*Hugs* still to the two of you, may 2018 bring you both lots of blessings!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 9:55pm

Post #8 of 50 (751 views)
Shortcut
Seconding what Kimi said! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tell them yes, you'll do all of those! What's the Wonderland Trail like (steep, moderate, lots of vistas)?

I like having the lights from our small tree on all the time, it's so nice to come downstairs to on dark mornings. I realize that the decorations are "traditionally" to be taken down 12 days after Christmas, maybe we should all start the trend of leaving them up until there's a decent amount of daylight once again! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2017, 9:59pm

Post #9 of 50 (753 views)
Shortcut
Rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

Warm rain, I hope! That's a delightful way to spend the holiday, out-of-doors in pleasant places.

And will you be snacking on home-grown goodies on New Year's Eve? Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Dec 29 2017, 10:35pm

Post #10 of 50 (755 views)
Shortcut
-15C is crisp alright... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't experienced that since I lived in Scotland. That crunchy sensation when the hairs in your nose get frosty... yuk! Leftover sandwiches here too this evening - brie and walnut for me. The cheese needs using up before it stinks out the fridge! Next big thing is a family trip to see a 'Peter Pan' panto at a nearby theatre on New Year's Eve; it will be interesting to see what the grandsons make of it. As long as they are not seized with a burning urge to fly and try launching off the top of the stairs afterwards, we'll be okay! It might take their minds off Lego and Pokemon for a while... happy weekend, folks, whatever you end up doing!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 30 2017, 1:26am

Post #11 of 50 (745 views)
Shortcut
-21C right now, [In reply to] Can't Post

Itís extremely rare for the temperature to dip below -5C at this time of year in these parts. I like the crisp, dry air too, but it almost hurts to breath! Staying inside as much as possible. Happy new year everybody!

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 30 2017, 2:12am

Post #12 of 50 (740 views)
Shortcut
lots of up and down [In reply to] Can't Post

often 3,000 feet a day as you are basically going around the mountain which is like a big stump with a lot of roots radiating out (ridges, that is). But you can't beat the views! I've done portions but not the whole enchilada.

My plan is that the younger folks will carry most of the gear Wink

https://www.nps.gov/...wonderland-trail.htm

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 30 2017, 2:12am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 3:57am

Post #13 of 50 (727 views)
Shortcut
I just looked at the elevation profile map [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely not for the faint of heart - or hiking experience! What a magnificent "walk in the woods" that would be, to do the whole thing.

Yep, definitely the young'uns should shoulder the loads, leaving you free to fully enjoy the trip. Wink

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 30 2017, 4:03am

Post #14 of 50 (728 views)
Shortcut
"like a big stump with lots of roots radiating out" [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of Tolkien's map of The Lonely Mountain.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 4:04am

Post #15 of 50 (734 views)
Shortcut
A question: [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the difference between a standard play, and a panto (is that from pantomime)?

(I've seen pics of Ian McKellen and Adam Brown in funny costumes for pantos.)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 4:06am

Post #16 of 50 (729 views)
Shortcut
I thought your area [In reply to] Can't Post

went into deep freeze during the winter!

Yep, staying inside except for necessary outings (grocery etc.) It's a good time to do organizing, write letters, and just sip tea and read. Smile

A very happy New Year to you too, Sir D!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 4:26am

Post #17 of 50 (726 views)
Shortcut
Some photos from our trip: [In reply to] Can't Post

Photos.

Seeing a collection of my books on the shelf of a provincial library was a special treat. :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 4:45am

Post #18 of 50 (722 views)
Shortcut
That "hobbit hole" looks to be rather breezy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

High tea whilst looking at Mt. Doom? Hm, maybe there ARE hobbits around there!

I can imagine you trying to hide a huge grin when you realized the locals were reading your works! Tolkien was nervous about sending his stories out into the wide world; it's a dangerous business, letting your books go out of your door: They step into the Road...and there is no knowing where they might be swept off to. Cool

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 7:50am

Post #19 of 50 (707 views)
Shortcut
That's what my mind went to also. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 8:01am

Post #20 of 50 (710 views)
Shortcut
Draughty [In reply to] Can't Post

was my thought, too. I don't think they'd enjoy the cars and trucks driving through, either. :)

My books are in quite a few NZ libraries (and rather more US ones), but it's still a special frisson when I see them on a library shelf. It's nice to think of their being chosen and going through the whole acquisitions process. I worked in a library for a while (in IT, not library science), and I have a lot of respect for librarians.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 30 2017, 3:04pm

Post #21 of 50 (689 views)
Shortcut
Thank you derny! [In reply to] Can't Post

... and yes, in deep winter, say mid-February, temps occasionally dip that low, but itís unusual for December. In fact, we had a few days above 0C just before Christmas. There are a fair number of green Christmases in my rememberies, though aesthetically I prefer there to be some snow about.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2017, 3:25pm

Post #22 of 50 (688 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, where to start?! [In reply to] Can't Post

A panto is usually based on an old traditional tale, Puss in Boots, Robin Hood, Aladdin, Cinderella etc, sometimes given a modern/topical twist with music, songs, jokes and so forth. Standard ingredients are an overdrawn, hissable booable baddie, an even more overdrawn, outrageously clad Dame (invariably played by a man) and in the more traditional ones, a male romantic lead played by a woman. Slapstick humour by a comic duo/trio is essential e.g. disastrous baking/decorating scene with a lot of mess, as is audience participation. Children - and indeed grown-ups - are expected to yell, boo, hiss, cheer etc. For example:
Dame: 'I can't see the wicked baron anywhere. Can you see him, children?'
Children in audience: He's behind you!
Baron hides, Dame turns.
Dame: Oh no he isn't!
Baron pops out again.
Children: (louder) Oh yes he is!
etc...
Good family fun, when you can let your hair down and yell at the performance! Unlike an ordinary play, where such behaviour would probably have you ejected from the theatre.
Here's a link: https://www.floralpavilion.com/en-GB/shows/peter%20pan/events/2

(This post was edited by Greenwood Hobbit on Dec 30 2017, 3:29pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 30 2017, 5:44pm

Post #23 of 50 (672 views)
Shortcut
not quite that pointy [In reply to] Can't Post

or isolated, as it's one of a mountain chain . . . but it does dominate the skyline

http://m2.i.pbase.com/...tandardemailview.jpg

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2017, 5:51pm

Post #24 of 50 (670 views)
Shortcut
Fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds perfectly delightful - and for kids of all ages!

It's too bad we've tended away from that over here, we could use more fun interactive shows. So this explains Sir Ian in an outrageous dress, and Adam looking like the tooth fairy! Laugh What a blast for the actors, as well!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 30 2017, 6:07pm

Post #25 of 50 (663 views)
Shortcut
{{{Mr Midge}}} and {{{his mama}}} [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad he's doing so well. I'll bet he's latched onto you like the lifeline you are! Bless his fuzzy heart.

Are you having to bathe the wounds with a peroxide/water mix? I had a cat that was horribly mauled by a dog, and her wound was extensive on the whole back left leg... from tail to toe her muscles were exposed. The vet had us clean her wound with the peroxide/water mix several times a day, and it was amazing to watch her slowly heal. She could... like Mr Midge... soon walk! I think that getting them up and around speeds up the healing faster... as it does with us muggles ;)

*warm hug* I'm so very happy! You sound better :)

Happy New Year!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.