Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! December 28

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 28 2017, 3:19pm

Post #1 of 6 (1701 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! December 28 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers! HAPPY NEW YEAR... ish!!!!! ;)

Here we are at the end of days for the year 2017. *contemplates* Wow... it was certainly action-packed!

So how many of you are going to embrace your own personal Walk to Rivendell as a New Year's Resolution? Now is the perfect time to give it a try :D Pick a path (chart or personal) and just start putting one foot in front of the other (figuratively speaking ;)

I'll be starting a new chart as I have just finished Merry's 578-mile ride with the Rohirrim. Dernhelm and he essentially remained invisible to the Riders as they made the journey to the battle of Minas Tirith. The tale of their heroic achievements is well-known from the charge onto the Pelennor to Dernhelm's confrontation with the Lord of the Nazgul and Pippin finding an injured Merry lost and wandering the streets of Minas Tirith.

Now, I think I'm going to join the Captains of the West in their ride to the Black Gate using Karen Wynn Fonstad's Minas Tirith to the Morannon chart. A 138-mile ride with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf and Pippin. I think I'll hang out with Pippin. He's finally reunited with his friends... especially Merry... only to be TORn away from them once again. The two of us have PLENTY of stories to share :) Plus... I know how to ride within an army and alert him on how breaks and food stops work. I can't wait to show him the lembas wrap I wriggled from Legolas ;) shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

See you on the Road and we'll talk again next year :D

If you'd like some help keeping track of your progress in the Walk to Rivendell Charts, just PM me and I'll be happy to figure out where you are and help you keep track as you move along :) Or take a look at the resources at the end of this post. I give you a step-by-step of how I like to keep track of my progress. The hardest part of using the Charts is to decide which one to start with!

TORn Walk to Rivendell and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

gramma's charts
This the link to TORn's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond charts for Bilbo's return journey from the Lonely Mountain. Please let me know if there are any corrections or suggestions you have for them :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 28 2017, 3:26pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 5, 3:08am

Post #2 of 6 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! January 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

Here we are hiking into 2018 :D I don't know about you *looks around* but this really resembles 2017 to me. ;)

I hope you're having fun with you mileage gathering. Enjoying the journey is the most important part!

I've had a pretty productive trek so far in my new chart. I have joined the Captains of the West as they travel from Minas Tirith to the Morannon... giving Frodo and Sam a chance to continue on their effort to reach Sammath Naur, the fiery Mountain. I've been doing some deep cleaning as I clear out many books I haven't looked at in 15 years and tossed around some furniture. The walking is being done on the treadmill since we've had an average -20 windchill outside all week!

Do tell on how you're faring and how you're accumulating your mileage :)

SEE YOU ON THE ROAD!

My Progress: 29 miles
Cumulated 29 miles of the 138 miles into the Minas Tirith to the Morannon. The Captains (Pippin & I) have made good time. We're already not very far from the Crossroads.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 11, 3:06pm

Post #3 of 6 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! January 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

I hope you've been enjoying your journey and finding creative ways to accumulate your mileage. Let us know your favourite way of getting your mileage. I'll bet you'd be surprised how many things you do throughout the day and week that qualify for mileage. House cleaning, shoveling snow, gardening, shopping with all that walking up and down the isles and carrying loaded bags... all of these take physical effort and can really add up.

I've been doing some demo and rebuilding of floor-to-ceiling shelves I first put in about 15 years ago. I'm completely redoing all of my livingroom layout and build-ins in anticipation of having my fireplace built this Spring. I'm SO bummed they couldn't get it done for this Winter, but I know it's coming... so I'm getting ready! I have over 200 dvds and about 100 cds... so the need for shelving is huge! We're not even talking about my non-Tolkien-esque books! I've pulled and donated about 5 shelves of NON-Tolkien books. Hence... my progress was pretty good.

Best of luck on your journey... and I'll see you on the Road!

My Progress: 32 miles
Cumulated 61 miles of the 138 miles into the Minas Tirith to the Morannon. The Captains (and Pippin & I) have passed the Crossroads; but we stopped and paid it honour by making what repairs we could to the statue of the King. It was decided to have the heralds start shouting the announcement of the coming of the Lords of Gondor... but soon changed it to the King Elessar.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18, 12:39pm

Post #4 of 6 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Postcard from the Pelennor Field [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to put my Postcard from the Pelennor Field in the mail after we finished the battle ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18, 1:08pm

Post #5 of 6 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! January 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope you're enjoying your Quests and that you're still putting one foot in front of the other (so to speak ;). The very neat thing about progress is that you can go at it at your own pace and in your own way.

I get the most satisfaction when I FINALLY achieve a goal that has eluded me no matter how hard or long I've worked at it... which I've been working at for a couple of years now. Losing that darn 10 pounds. I seem to just be at the threshold of getting there and feel SO astonished that it's right there within my reach... then things happen that sets me back. It doesn't matter if it's by just a bit or a lot. It's the setback, again, that deflates me and causes quite an internal uproar and external melancholy. But I soon shift gears and go at it again. *sigh* And I know I'll get there! In the meantime, the doctor says I'm in excellent health and physically strong (at 65yo). So there's some real good coming from the effort ;)

So if you have a Mt. Doom that you're climbing, use your Walk to keep you on the Road. One step at a time... you'll get there and toss that dratted Ring in the abyss!

*waves fondly* I''ll see you on the Road! :D

My Progress: 30 miles
Cumulated 91 miles of the 138 miles into the Minas Tirith to the Morannon. The Captains (and Pippin & I) have successfully fought off an Orc and Easterling attack AND the Nazgul have just flown over our camp. It's going to be a long night!

If you'd like some help keeping track of your progress in the Walk to Rivendell Charts, just PM me and I'll be happy to figure out where you are and help you keep track as you move along :) Or take a look at the resources at the end of this post. I give you a step-by-step of how I like to keep track of my progress. The hardest part of using the Charts is to decide which one to start with!

For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

gramma's charts
This the link to TORn's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond charts for Bilbo's return journey from the Lonely Mountain. Please let me know if there are any corrections or suggestions you have for them :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 1:11pm

Post #6 of 6 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! January 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

I hope you're having good times and great satisfaction with how you're coming along on your Quests :) I'm excited that, here in Michigan, we're halfway through Winter! *geeky hand clapping* Except for the nearly 2 weeks of sub-zero temps, it's been a pretty mild one... but February and March tend to be the real ride of Winter at its most potent!

With that, I'm still spending most of my time on the treadmill and working on inside projects (building shelves, laying floor tiles, plaster/painting walls, finishing kitchen cupboards, etc.)... so the accumulation of mileage is different but consistent.

How are you coming along? Are you following one of the site charts or are you blazing your own trail? One step at a time will get you there! :D Let me know if you'd like some guidance on how to track your progress on the charts. It's quite fun to walk with the Fellowship and see what they confronted and how far they travelled each day.

My Progress: 32 miles
Cumulated 123 miles of the 138 miles into the Minas Tirith to the Morannon. The Captains (and Pippin & I) are getting closer to the Black Gate. After the Nazgul passed over, Aragorn released some of the riders with encouragement and honour.

See you on the Road!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 25, 1:15pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.