The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings from New Zealand!

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2007, 4:06am

Post #1 of 15 (513 views)
Shortcut
Greetings from New Zealand! Can't Post

Just wanted to pop in quickly and say hello from Auckland; we arrived this morning (well, Tuesday morning here) - shuya has updated the blog with some photos and a quick report. Tomorrow it's off to Matamata to see Hobbiton.

http://whereischristy.blogspot.com/

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 13 2007, 4:37am

Post #2 of 15 (333 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, look out for my son [In reply to] Can't Post

and his wife and 14-yr-old stepdaughter, who are visiting right now and are with Red Carpet. I know they're going to Matamata one day this week, but don't know which day. They live in Texas. He was with me at the 2004 One Party, and all three of them are serious fans.

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 13 2007, 5:33am

Post #3 of 15 (322 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Fabulous pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

IMHO, anyone who makes that flight either to or from New Zealand (or Australia, or any flight of approx. 11-13 hrs.) deserves a medal! It's hellish! Pirate

I'm glad you got to go to Kelly Tarlton's. It's a bit 'smallish' but has such unique aquatic life there I think it's well worth it. (They had a great white there when I visited, but I understand they have to be let go after a relatively short period becuase they don't survive well in captivity).

I didn't notice *any* Burger Kings in Auckland. Then again, I was on my "pre-" honeymoon, so it's quite possible I may only have had eyes for a certain Kiwi I was visiting. Wink

Glad you landed both safely and in style. Enjoy the biggest city in New Zealand!

*hugs* to you both!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Timbo_mbadil
Rivendell

Mar 13 2007, 8:07am

Post #4 of 15 (299 views)
Shortcut
Rrrrrr – envy! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherness represents that which bourgeois ideology cannot recognize or accept but must deal with (…)
Robin Wood 2003, p. 49. "Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan – and beyond". Columbia University Press, New York, Chichester, West Sussex.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2007, 11:18am

Post #5 of 15 (336 views)
Shortcut
Um...that's you standing next to Orlando Bloom? OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy, did you ever have a great time at ORC! And the pics of NZ are great. Love the blog! What's the air and weather like, down there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2007, 6:18pm

Post #6 of 15 (295 views)
Shortcut
Trust me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw several BK's downtown. Not to mention McDonald's, Starbucks, KFC, Borders bookstores, etc... In many ways it's just like any other big city, and I don't think it's really hit me that i'm in NZ yet. I think once we get out of the city it will seem more 'Middle Earth' like. Smile

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

shuya
Rivendell

Mar 13 2007, 6:20pm

Post #7 of 15 (286 views)
Shortcut
Will do! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I remember him from the Oscar party - I'll definitely keep an eye out!

My Travel Blog: Where is Christy?

Follow deej and me on our trip to New Zealand (3/11-3/28) and then continue on with me to Australia (3/29-4/14)!

shuya
Rivendell

Mar 13 2007, 6:22pm

Post #8 of 15 (298 views)
Shortcut
The weather... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a bit rainy - showers off and on. The weather lady on the news last night made it sound like today would be miserable - I'm really hoping she was wrong! The air has been cool and clear - I can't wait to get out of the city and into the countryside!

My Travel Blog: Where is Christy?

Follow deej and me on our trip to New Zealand (3/11-3/28) and then continue on with me to Australia (3/29-4/14)!

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2007, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 15 (291 views)
Shortcut
The weather is pretty much the same as it is in Georgia right now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a little warmer - it rained most of yesterday in Auckland, and I guess it's going to be a little rainy in Matamata today, but hopefully it will clear up soon.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2007, 7:02pm

Post #10 of 15 (280 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about the weather. [In reply to] Can't Post

After weeks of hot-and-fine every day, it seems to have decided to pack up the day you arrived.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, anyway. Just keep up that positive attitude!

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2007, 8:15pm

Post #11 of 15 (284 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with the weather! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see/hear the thunder storm over Auckland last night? I apparently slept through hours.

You're going to have such a blast on your trip. Enjoy! Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

darlorian

Mar 15 2007, 6:48am

Post #12 of 15 (289 views)
Shortcut
Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, I'm new on the boards here but just wanted to say I am watching your journey fondly. I was at ORC too, although not lucky enough to be at the club. In February and March of 2005, I made the journey to NZ too. Just my hubby and me, and we only had two weeks. So instead of driving we ended up flying between cities. We didn't get to Auckland, so I will enjoy it through your blog!

We started in Wellington and then went to Queenstown. I hope hope hope you are going to spend some time in Queenstown and I can't wait to see it again through your pics! My GOD it was the most beautiful place I've ever been. If you go - no, you must go - to Deerpark Heights, be sure you have dollar coins so you can get pellets for the goats!

I have 2500 pictures from that trip! Wish I'd had a cool blog like yours, too! Have fun and I am so happy for you!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 15 2007, 7:07pm

Post #13 of 15 (265 views)
Shortcut
very much enjoying your blog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to share your trip that way - brings back very vivid memories of my trip with L.Ron last year. Fabulous. And of course, driving on the left and dealing with roundabouts is easy for us Brits.. Wink

Stay safe - have fun!!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 16 2007, 9:27am

Post #14 of 15 (253 views)
Shortcut
I'm so delighted with your blog! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like every time I get to sit and read it, I get waylaid... so I haven't posted on it much. But I'm copying EVERYTHING and sitting in bed at night reading it just before I drift off to sleep. So between reading about you guys in NZ, seeing the pics, and reading LotR... I'm having some pretty amazing dreams!!! THANK YOU! :D

I wish I was there with you! *spasm*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 4:58am

Post #15 of 15 (290 views)
Shortcut
Me too ... [In reply to] Can't Post

though my internet access has been sporadic at best and non-existent at worst for the past four weeks! However I'm now settling down to flat-hunting and job-hunting in Wellington; am here in the internet cafe for about the sixth time in three days to write a job application letter. Eeek. It's suddenly turned into a gorgeous day after a few miserable ones. :) NZ is lovely, though, whatever the weather. Nice change from busy old London.

I'll put something here shortly ...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.