Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did Sauron joined the battle in the War of The Elves?

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Dec 23 2017, 4:56pm

Post #1 of 6 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Did Sauron joined the battle in the War of The Elves? Can't Post

I imagine if he did, his servants would carry him in a mobile throne chair just like Xerxes from 300?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2017, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 6 (1490 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know of any evidence that Sauron took a personal hand in the War of the Elves and Sauron. This would have been before he had the other Great Rings in hand, so his generals were likely to have been mortal Men: Easterlings and Haradrim for certain; I'm not sure that he had been able to enlist any corrupted Númenóreans at that point in time.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Dec 23 2017, 11:30pm

Post #3 of 6 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Battle of the Gwathló [In reply to] Can't Post

Unbeknownst to Sauron, Admiral Ciryatur had more forces at his disposal and had landed a strong force at the small Númenórean harbour at the mouth of the Gwathló River. This new contingent fell upon Sauron's rear from the south-west while Gil-galad's Elves and the other Númenóreans attacked from the north. Sauron's army was completely routed and he barely escaped himself
http://tolkiengateway.net/..._of_the_Gwathl%C3%B3
So it seems he was present some parts of the war.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Dec 23 2017, 11:31pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2017, 11:48pm

Post #4 of 6 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

The question remains as to whether Sauron ever personally fought in his war with the Elves, but he does seem to been physically present at the least rather than leading from his stronghold. Cool

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Dec 23 2017, 11:56pm

Post #5 of 6 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he was involved physically, but I can imagine his slaves carried him sitting in his dark throne chair, just like Xerxes in 300. I don't he would just march together with his army? Maybe he did walk to lead his disorganized orc army.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Dec 23 2017, 11:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 24 2017, 3:08am

Post #6 of 6 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Sauron could have ridden a horse.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.