Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
LOTR - Saga a TV Mini-series

Ronster

Dec 23 2017, 1:22pm

Post #1 of 5 (3023 views)
Shortcut
LOTR - Saga a TV Mini-series Can't Post

I have been thinking about this deal that was struck recently with $250 million just fallen into the already hefty coffers for the franchise for a TV series and then an idea that suddenly sprang in to my brain and I thought it was so good I thought I would post it here to see what people here thought.

Similar to what Francis Ford Coppola did with His Godfather Trilogy releasing the first 2 films with many extended scenes and was made as a TV mini-series.

I think that this method of releasing an ultimate version of Lord of the Rings could very well be fantastic. in 1 hour episodes.

Possibly one of the things that limited the films in some regards was that both story exposition and violence were cut to avoid R rated or 18 Censorship ratings. At least it may have been toned down in some respects not in any huge way but albeit slightly and in some manner.

So basically without knowing the length of assembly cuts of the films entirely but the first tight assembly cut for FOTR was around 4 hours.

There is also scope to obviously extend the second film and the third film also. But it also could work very well in an episodic format.

It is a possible different way to see the films in a different format. And may have pro's and con's to that but ultimately I think it could be extremely interesting in this format.

There must be a budget for that surely?

What do you think?

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 23 2017, 9:55pm

Post #2 of 5 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Before this TV series idea came up I had been thinking about that also - Mainly just because I wanted to see what else was cut haha Cool

I though "Hmmm - They could probably squeeze out a full tv series using the Ultimate LOTR's Edition"

I wonder if they put back everything worthwhile how many 45 - 50 min episodes they could have...?

Ronster

Dec 23 2017, 10:28pm

Post #3 of 5 (2966 views)
Shortcut
At a Guess 50 minutes episodes 13 with a longer pilot [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Before this TV series idea came up I had been thinking about that also - Mainly just because I wanted to see what else was cut haha Cool

I though "Hmmm - They could probably squeeze out a full tv series using the Ultimate LOTR's Edition"

I wonder if they put back everything worthwhile how many 45 - 50 min episodes they could have...?

Well I read FOTR first cut was 5 hours I am pretty sure PJ explains the original assemblys on the EE DVD.

But what I think would be interesting is things not being paired down in reshoots or for example things that were repeated were removed and violence toned down.

So in a different format dialogue being repeated would not always need to be removed as it would suit the format for instance the prologue and then the council of Elrond would probably crossover but in a TV series this would not be of concern of dialogue being repeated.

been studying FOTR a bit and noticing a lot of shifting between night and day in a bit of a nonsensical way that could be sorted with a bit of re-editing also.

I am sure there is quite a bit of material I would imagine about 90 minutes of worthwhile solid stuff and possibly abandoned sequences also special effects shots that were never finished things of that nature.

I think it could be potentially better and if it were to ever be altered not so much updated then a further extended edit in the form of a mini series I think would be the way to go.

(This post was edited by Ronster on Dec 23 2017, 10:35pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 24 2017, 5:50am

Post #4 of 5 (2948 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just give us the Ultimate Editions!! Smile

Ronster

Dec 24 2017, 8:31am

Post #5 of 5 (2936 views)
Shortcut
What is an ultimate edition? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just give us the Ultimate Editions!! Smile

One could argue what an ultimate edition should or would consist of.

Certainly it would be beneficial to improve blue screen and green screen shots where they look blatently different contrast between the elements.

But more live action footage i think is what people want and more story. Especially the full uncut prologue for instance.

Interestingly i came across a video that was "what if lord of the rings was rated R?" Basically at the battle of Amon Hen somone put blood spurts for fighting the Uruks and it was like it should always of been there. One can only assume that it has been toned down and CGI blood splurts were left out in post but they do appear in some instances in the film as it is but most of the time blood spurts are indeed missing.

Improving some effects would also be beneficial and again it is more about models lighting and contrast than anything else. Rather than redo with more modern CGI but to make the exising CGI blend better. Although would not be against some replacements that look of the time it was made.

Although simply have deleted scenes on a disc would still be good it would be better if they were finished in terms of any effects color grading and sound to make them feel professional. Not Pre-vis intermingled with blue screen shots although it would still be interesting to see them this way also it would be more interesting to see a finished version.

Take for instance the Slime Balrog this would be interesting to see a snippet of this and not really much more than that as the story should still be recounted by Gandalf but in a time condensed fashion.

But the ambush on Isildur should be a full sequence and not time condensed for instance or trimmed for time as it is short anyway but still cut.

So that is kind of the scope i think would make it worth while and say for the two towers film in a TV format you would not need to cut back and fourth to different threads so much. It might be better to handle these threads a bit more seperated.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.