The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Could Ar-Pharazôn defeat Sauron?

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 20 2017, 9:32pm

Post #1 of 10 (2466 views)
Shortcut
Could Ar-Pharazôn defeat Sauron? Can't Post

If Sauron decided not get captured, and forced his army to defend Barad-dûr from the numenoreans, would he succeed? Could Sauron, his army defeat Ar-Pharazon military? And if the numenoreans destroyed his army, how could they destroy Sauron?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 20 2017, 11:19pm

Post #2 of 10 (2449 views)
Shortcut
I think Ar-Pharzaon would win [In reply to] Can't Post

And more easily than the Last Alliance of Elves and Men won. If you consider that in both situations, Sauron had the One Ring and huge armies. It took the Last Alliance years and many losses to defeat him, but it did. I think Numenor would have done it more quickly and with fewer losses. (And Sauron seemed to think so too.)

InTheChair
Rohan

Dec 21 2017, 9:39pm

Post #3 of 10 (2367 views)
Shortcut
Depends on what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ar-Pharazôn could probably have taken Mordor, though if Sauron had withdrawn to the East it is questionable how inclined Ar-Pharazôn would have been to keep large forces nearby.

And of course even if Sauron had stayed and offered resistance, and had been physically defeated and killed (separation from the body) as he was by the Last Alliance, Ar-Pharazôn would have kept the ring.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 22 2017, 11:24pm

Post #4 of 10 (2327 views)
Shortcut
Supernatural forces? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did Sauron had any supernatural forces during the time of Ar-Pharazon? I mean how did he managed to take on the high elves kingdom without any immortal beings? Was his convential forces too big and massive for the elves to handle?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2017, 12:39am

Post #5 of 10 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's Resources [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did Sauron had any supernatural forces during the time of Ar-Pharazon? I mean how did he managed to take on the high elves kingdom without any immortal beings? Was his convential forces too big and massive for the elves to handle?

If your armies are large enough, you don't need much in the way of the supernatural. The Nine first appeared as the Nazgûl around SA 2250, well before the time of Ar-Pharazôn. Presumably they would have led Sauron's armies against the Númenóreans if he had not instead surrendered.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 23 2017, 1:21am

Post #6 of 10 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Outcome? [In reply to] Can't Post

Would the outcome be any different? If Sauron decides to use the ringwraiths together with his army to crush Ar-Pharazon militarily?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2017, 4:01am

Post #7 of 10 (2300 views)
Shortcut
Probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Would the outcome be any different? If Sauron decides to use the ringwraiths together with his army to crush Ar-Pharazon militarily?

Sauron probably did not think so or he likely would not have humbled himself in surrender.

So great was the might and splendour of the Númenoreans that Sauron's own servants deserted him; and Sauron humbled himself, doing homage, and craving pardon. Then Ar-Pharazôn in the folly of his pride carried him back as a prisoner to Númenor. It was not long before he had bewitched the King and was master of his counsel; and soon he had turned the hearts of all the Númenoreans, except the remnant of the Faithful, back towards the darkness.

What Sauron could not achieve through might, he managed through guile.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 23 2017, 4:18am

Post #8 of 10 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Must been a heck of a sight.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Numenorean army must be a sight to behold, perhaps even a godly sight that scared even demons and a great maiar as Sauron

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Dec 24 2017, 2:29pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2017, 4:36am

Post #9 of 10 (2291 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's Army [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I expect that most of the deserters would have been Orcs, Men and maybe Trolls.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 24 2017, 5:39pm

Post #10 of 10 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's forces yes....Sauron himself? Possible as in the example of Isildur [In reply to] Can't Post

but I tend to think that was some "Middle-earth" luck at work. Not sure Ar-Pharazon would have been the recipient of such luck. Plus, Sauron saw another path to victory, corruption from within Numenor. He basically allowed himself to get captured.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.