The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Ethel Merman & Treebeard versus Kate Smith & Tom Bombadil

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 20 2017, 9:31pm

Post #1 of 7 (4221 views)
Shortcut
Ethel Merman & Treebeard versus Kate Smith & Tom Bombadil Can't Post

Which team could knock down the walls of Jericho?

*Decibels only*

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 20 2017, 10:59pm

Post #2 of 7 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Lt. Hurwitz [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Merman, finally over Macho Grande, remembers she's actually a bomber pilot named Lieutenant Hurwitz, jumps back in his plane with Treebeard as his co-pilot, and bombs the heck out of Jericho, the Old Forest, and a Philadelpia Flyers home game where Ms. Smith is singing "God Bless America".

The destruction is total.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 21 2017, 4:22pm

Post #3 of 7 (4169 views)
Shortcut
"Over Macho Grande?" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf to Denethor

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 21 2017, 6:53pm

Post #4 of 7 (4162 views)
Shortcut
"No. I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande." / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Dec 22 2017, 9:17am

Post #5 of 7 (4129 views)
Shortcut
Now we need some official fight songs.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Brace,

Ethel and Treebeard---"There's no forest like Fangorn Forest, like no forest I know....."

Kate and Tom---"Eru blessssss Eriador, laaannnnd that I love...."

Power packed quartet.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
(From the scroll rooms of Gondor, can one set Irving Berlin music to Middle Earth lyrics, hmmm....)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 22 2017, 4:55pm

Post #6 of 7 (4108 views)
Shortcut
Sing we shall [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Bombadil:
♪ This land is my land, this land is my land
From the High Hay to the Barrows … ♪

A singing logger in Fangorn :
♪ I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok, I sleep all night, I work all day … ♪
Gets a rather hasty “Hrum haroom” boost from Treebeard.

Gandalf to Denethor

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Dec 26 2017, 9:50am

Post #7 of 7 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Let's not forget the Huorns.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Brace, can the Huorns make an appearance please? They can move about and dance with tree-like choreography to accompany our quartet of singers. Maybe give them top hats and canes, though they'd have a hard time holding them, and might smack into each other with all those branches. The Huorns are kind of nasty and maybe this would lighten them up and put them in a good mood....

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
(From the scroll rooms of Gondor, Bob Fosse and Jerome Robbins could stage and choreograph this sucker....)

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Dec 26 2017, 9:55am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.