McKellen wants to play gandalf Can't Post

https://www.unilad.co.uk/...f-the-rings-tv-show/

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 16 2017, 8:54pm

Post #2 of 27 (4016 views)
Shortcut
Old Man Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

But are you suggesting that someone else is going to play it? Gandalf is over 7000 years old, so I’m not too old.

If we're going back to Gandalf the Grey, his mortal form would be around 8000 years old today! Cool

This is another one of those articles where I'm not sure that the author understands that the show will not be a direct adaptation of The Lord of the Rings.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

squire
Half-elven

Dec 16 2017, 10:15pm

Post #3 of 27 (3989 views)
Shortcut
7000 years? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did he get that from the film script?

The wizards came to Middle-earth in mortal form around 1000 in the Third Age, and so would be 2000 years old (figuratively speaking) in the War of the Ring.
But "...they were never young and aged only slowly" (LotR Appendix B.ii) reminds us that Gandalf was an old but still active and agile man, whose appearance would have been the same to Bilbo's grandparents as it was to Frodo and the gang.

I love Sir Ian's portrayal in the LotR trilogy, but now that he's almost 80 I'm not convinced he's right for a reprise of his role in a new series that hasn't even been written yet. He, perhaps jokingly, disagrees!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

nenyacaster
Bree

Dec 16 2017, 11:30pm

Post #4 of 27 (3979 views)
Shortcut
not too old [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course he's not too old to play the part, and it would be a challenge to replace him. However, it's not clear if Gandalf will even appear in whatever exactly amazon is throwing a billion dollars at.

duats
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2017, 11:51pm

Post #5 of 27 (3979 views)
Shortcut
I'm still not entirely convinced... [In reply to] Can't Post

That a re-adaptation of the books is off the table. Maybe not right off the bat, but should the new series prove successful and sustainable, I think it's only a matter of time before the books are revisited. It's inevitable. Obviously we are talking years down the road though.

I love McKellen to death, and his Gandalf is an all-timer, but I'd prefer a new take on Tolkien's mythology that is completely divorced from Jackson's vision. That means a new Gandalf, when the time comes to reintroduce the character.

(This post was edited by duats on Dec 16 2017, 11:53pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2017, 12:36am

Post #6 of 27 (3968 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf today? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
7000 years? Did he get that from the film script?

I think that Sir Ian might have been referring to how old Gandalf would be today, in the twenty-first century, though it would actually be more like 8000 years (using Tolkien's estimate that the end of the Third Age would have been around 4000 B.C.E.).

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

squire
Half-elven

Dec 17 2017, 2:08am

Post #7 of 27 (3954 views)
Shortcut
Huh [In reply to] Can't Post

I see your point about there being an imaginary span of time that Tolkien gave between the book's events, and today in the real world.
But why would McKellen apply the concept of how old Gandalf would be today to the question of how old the character was during the events of the stories? It's like saying MacBeth may have been about forty in the play, but he's a 400 year old character by now so he could certainly be played by an actor who appears to be that old!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

MoreMorgoth
Rivendell

Dec 17 2017, 10:48am

Post #8 of 27 (3904 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

If Amazon is smart they will recognize the wisdom of having a central character that fans can identify with from the successful films and who can be involved in many of the stories they present in their series. McKellen would be perfect and I would endorse this move whole heartedly.

Perhaps he could be the narrator - sometimes seen, sometimes not.

Belegdir
Lorien

Dec 17 2017, 12:09pm

Post #9 of 27 (3898 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian does have a wicked sense of humour [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see what he's said being taken the wrong way. He is serious when he said he'd love to reprise the role of Gandalf, and of course he'd be brilliant.

However, I think he realizes that if Gandalf was to play any sort of central role in the new series, Amazon would need a younger man to play it simply for the show continuity. If for some reason McKellen had to stop, it would be pretty jarring to have a new Gandalf take over mid series.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2017, 12:32pm

Post #10 of 27 (3891 views)
Shortcut
It's just my best guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I see your point about there being an imaginary span of time that Tolkien gave between the book's events, and today in the real world.
But why would McKellen apply the concept of how old Gandalf would be today to the question of how old the character was during the events of the stories? It's like saying MacBeth may have been about forty in the play, but he's a 400 year old character by now so he could certainly be played by an actor who appears to be that old!

Not quite the same; MacBeth wasn't a centuries-old Istari who was mortally incarnated as an old man. But my answer seems to make the most sense since McKellen should know that Gandalf was only about 2000 years old at the time of Bilbo's farewell party. He demonstrated that he knew when Gandalf came to Middile-earth.

On the other hand, maybe McKellen places the creation of the Ainur by Eru only 7000 years before the end of the Third Age (which seems incredibly conservative to me).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2017, 12:35pm

Post #11 of 27 (3888 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I could see what he's said being taken the wrong way. He is serious when he said he'd love to reprise the role of Gandalf, and of course he'd be brilliant.

Sir Ian could indeed have simply been making an off-hand comment that he didn't think through very well. We shouldn't try to read too much into it.

InTheChair
Rohan

Dec 17 2017, 12:54pm

Post #12 of 27 (3880 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

The article appears to say that McKellen hasn't been asked, so wether he wants it or not seems beside the point.

If there's any truth in a guess that Amazon wants McKellen, it should meen they wish to tie the series to the Jackson movies.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Dec 17 2017, 12:54pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 17 2017, 2:09pm

Post #13 of 27 (3865 views)
Shortcut
Return of Gandalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd definitely be a lot more interested in the Middle-Earth TV series if McKellen and/or other movie actors reprised their roles for the TV series.

Even a few cameo roles here and there would be brilliant. I don't mind a (good) series about new characters as long as some old favourites drop by now and again.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 17 2017, 7:00pm

Post #14 of 27 (3838 views)
Shortcut
LOTR trilogy actors in Amazon's ME show [In reply to] Can't Post

If they're going to do the Strider prequel show, I think Ian could return. Maybe Andy Serkis, Orlando Bloom, Lee Pace and Hugo Weaving? Cate Blanchett could be difficult, but not impossible. How about Liv Tyler or is she too old?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2017, 7:44pm

Post #15 of 27 (3823 views)
Shortcut
Returning Actors [In reply to] Can't Post

Liv Tyler at 40 years or older returning as Arwen might be a bit of a stretch; perhaps it might work if she was in a different role. If the series was set early enough (or even in flashback), Tyler could play Arwen's mother Celebrían before she sailed into the West.

Andy Serkis seems to have no interest in returning, at least as Gollum. On the whole, a new cast might be preferable.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 17 2017, 7:45pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 17 2017, 8:05pm

Post #16 of 27 (3819 views)
Shortcut
He is clearly joking [In reply to] Can't Post

People really need to look at the source material for this 'story': reported by Unilad!
Ian McKellen was on a radio show with Graham Norton, talking about 'The Exorcist' play. A listener asked about the Amazon series and the reply was very tongue in cheek.
If you want to hear for yourself, it is just after the 27 minute mark here.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2017, 8:31pm

Post #17 of 27 (3806 views)
Shortcut
Is he, though? [In reply to] Can't Post

After listening to the excerpt, I don't think we can rule out that Sir Ian was serious about wanting to reprise Gandalf, or at least about wanting to be asked. As it stands, we have no idea whether Gandalf would be a major player in the show as conceived.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 17 2017, 11:43pm

Post #18 of 27 (3771 views)
Shortcut
As a maia, the spirit Olorin, known as Gandalf in human form, has existed since the universe was created. [In reply to] Can't Post

"In a revision dated c. 1937, the earlier timeline is mostly left intact, with the addition of the explicit statement that "It is said that the Valar came into the world 30,000 Sun-years ere the first rising of the Moon".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Arda

As a maia, Olorin was likely in Valinor during that time......plus 2000 years in ME....in ME from the time from the end of the 3rd age to today (about 6,000+ years as of 1958 per JRRT.....so 8,000+ years at least from entering ME to today..

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 17 2017, 11:46pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 17 2017, 11:47pm

Post #19 of 27 (3769 views)
Shortcut
IF he was actually cast I think it would be in flashback scenes with another actor [In reply to] Can't Post

portraying him in earlier ages. Like Bilbo split between Ian Holm and Martin Freeman.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 17 2017, 11:48pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 18 2017, 3:48am

Post #20 of 27 (3735 views)
Shortcut
Olórin? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
IF he was actually cast I think it would be in flashback scenes with another actor portraying him in earlier ages.

We don't know that Gandalf as Olórin ever spent time in Middle-earth before the Third Age, though I suppose he might have been part of the force that came against Morgoth at the end of the First Age. However, he wasn't given a mortal form until TA 1000.

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Dec 21 2017, 10:28am

Post #21 of 27 (3552 views)
Shortcut
The best guess is most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

that Sir Ian, or somebody for him, merely added the years of the First, Second, and Third Ages, which do come close to 7000 if the First Age is limited to the Years of the Sun. Of course in doing so he would be equating the Rising of the Sun with the Music of the Ainur, but that’s not unlike Creationists placing the Big Bang at 4004 B.C.

Bottom line, Sir Ian wasn’t thinking that deeply... Smile

MoreMorgoth
Rivendell

Dec 21 2017, 11:55am

Post #22 of 27 (3545 views)
Shortcut
thinking deeply!?!?!?!?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

How many people on the planet do you think were thinking that deeply adding up those numbers ?

This is a perfect example of a very tiny number of people with arcane knowledge that pretend that unless they are catered to its all going to be open to their pedantic criticism.

McKellen as Gandalf could easily be a narrator figure in the style of the role Vanessa Redgrave plays on CALL THE WIDWIFE and also play Gandalf in episodes where he is part of the storyline where it is appropriate.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 21 2017, 4:34pm

Post #23 of 27 (3520 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This is a perfect example of a very tiny number of people with arcane knowledge that pretend that unless they are catered to its all going to be open to their pedantic criticism.

For myself, I am not asking to be catered to in any way. I'm just making a guess about what McKellen meant that might be accurate or might be wildly off. He might have come up with that 7000 years number off the top of his head. After all, we don't know that he was being at all serious about wanting to return to the role of Gandalf (though I like to think that he was at least somewhat sincere).

In Reply To
McKellen as Gandalf could easily be a narrator figure in the style of the role Vanessa Redgrave plays on CALL THE WIDWIFE and also play Gandalf in episodes where he is part of the storyline where it is appropriate.

Yes, he could. I'm not sure that featuring Gandalf in a regular role as narrator is the best creative choice, but it is not remotely my call to make.

maut
Rivendell

Dec 21 2017, 5:23pm

Post #24 of 27 (3512 views)
Shortcut
I like th idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I believe he was not quite serious about this.
But he IS Gandalf and Gandalf IS him.
Wink

...and the sound of the kettle on his hearth was ever after more musical than it had been even in the quiet days before the Unexpected Party

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Dec 21 2017, 9:19pm

Post #25 of 27 (3460 views)
Shortcut
less Morgoth please [In reply to] Can't Post

Where’s Tulkas when you need him?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.