Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone! It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2017, 3:10am

Post #26 of 37 (659 views)
Shortcut
He organised it. [In reply to] Can't Post

His actual birthday is on the 19th (at least it's not the 25th!) but he put a call out to friends and family to gather today.

He's got a lovely spot for his house. I was sitting on the deck but eventually headed inside to sit in a breezeway because it's very hot and muggy today!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 16 2017, 5:29pm

Post #27 of 37 (650 views)
Shortcut
Goodybags, new windows... it's all happening! [In reply to] Can't Post

Busy weekend for a lot of people, it seems. I've just had my two cousins and aged auntie (93) to visit for the afternoon. We don't live far apart, and they are pleasant enough, but they rarely initiate contact and we have never been a close-knit family, meeting mostly at Christmas, weddings or funerals. So it goes...! That's a family box ticked for the festive season. This evening I'm going to the Christmas singaround and social for our ukulele group in the local community centre. That promises to be a loud gathering! 50-odd ukes, a bass guitar, a couple of ordinary guitars, a piano accordion - that should frighten a few spider in the rafters. It's all good fun and the group raises money for charity from their performances.
Weather is cool (6C), wet and breezy; no big freezes here at the moment. Scary to contemplate, from this usually very soggy area, the magnitude and ferocity of the wildfires in California... thoughts go out to people dealing with those. UK news is full of the royal wedding plans, on the same day as the FA cup football final. It's all about that or Brexit (yuk) at the moment! Have a good weekend, people. Cheers!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 16 2017, 6:15pm

Post #28 of 37 (645 views)
Shortcut
we had little stockings [In reply to] Can't Post

made by the wife of my dad's office partner out of felt, with individual symbols for each of us (my brother the ski racer had skis on his, f'rinstance). Used them for decades as they got tattier and tattier, losing their letters and symbols. Then my sister decided "enough!" and made us all new, embroidered, BIGGER ones. But there are still items that end up piled underneath.

My sis-in-law made a felt one for the cats last year.

Funny story: that same wife-of-partner stopped by EVERY Christmas morning with a "tree" made of rolls baked on a piece of cardboard covered with foil. Each had a dollop of frosting and a bit of red or green maraschino cherry on it. They were utterly tasteless, but our tradition was to heat them up and everyone eat one of the rolls. (Lots of butter helped.) Presents could not be opened until we'd all had a roll. Finally that couple retired (to become medical missionaries) and we were spared, and I took over baking my famous cranberry bread to go with our eggs & bacon.

Later it occurred to me that maybe her "trees" were supposed to be purely decorative and not eaten.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Dec 16 2017, 6:19pm

Post #29 of 37 (649 views)
Shortcut
remember [In reply to] Can't Post

the "good mother" has to die. Them's the rules. I didn't make them.

I look forward to reading your book!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 16 2017, 6:20pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2017, 7:05pm

Post #30 of 37 (645 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone, [In reply to] Can't Post

are you the sacrificial member of your team who takes all the accidents to spare your colleagues?

In Reply To
Back when I was working Hurricane Harvey (seven days on, seven days off) I tripped and fell in the water and bruised my shin. The bruise erupted into a pus-filled blistering mess, but it’s finally clearing up, though it still burns like heck.

You're certainly dedicated to drawing all the bad luck your way when you're on the job.

I hope your leg properly heals up soon. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2017, 3:48am

Post #31 of 37 (630 views)
Shortcut
I'm still thinking of what to do, [In reply to] Can't Post

so I have these three windows just hanging out. I might be able to do some sort of wall mural, or maybe a headboard. Between the new windows and Christmas, my house is completely upside down I'll put some thought into what to do next year!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 17 2017, 9:09am

Post #32 of 37 (620 views)
Shortcut
The thought of glass and headboards [In reply to] Can't Post

makes me nervous... if you could find a mirror to fit behind a frame, that might be a way of celebrating the irregularities in the old glass and creating a 'faux window' effect. In the new year, of course!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2017, 9:52pm

Post #33 of 37 (604 views)
Shortcut
The glass is still in the frame [In reply to] Can't Post

so it's pretty stable. But a mirror is a good idea!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 18 2017, 5:47pm

Post #34 of 37 (559 views)
Shortcut
I found one of these at a thrift shop [In reply to] Can't Post

put it up over my piano . . . it made the living room twice as big!

It was an old wood window with divided lights - 9 panes total. The person who'd replaced the panes with mirrors also attached two shelves below the top & middle flights. So I could put stuff on it - candles at Christmas made for a wonderful effect.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 18 2017, 8:50pm

Post #35 of 37 (545 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
are you the sacrificial member of your team who takes all the accidents to spare your colleagues?

You're certainly dedicated to drawing all the bad luck your way when you're on the job.

I recall during a visit to Japan in the 70s encountering the phrase “taking the Joker”, which describes how a continually unfortunate family member or close friend keeps taking the bad cards Fate deals out in order to protect others.

I think it’s because I’m always offering to "take point". I tend to regard any job as “let’s get ‘er done” rather than sitting around waiting for a consensus to build. Plus I also want to see and study the problem personally rather relying on second or third hand descriptions. Finally, I’m 64 years old and my colleagues are usually half that and they have young kids so I see myself as more expendable.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2017, 9:41am

Post #36 of 37 (513 views)
Shortcut
Mirrors [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a spray product that coats the back of glass and turns it into mirrors. You would still be using the old glass and get what could be interesting looking mirrors. We used it to make cabinet doors without the expense of buying real mirrors.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 23 2017, 2:46am

Post #37 of 37 (475 views)
Shortcut
Oh Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an upheaval! But this is one of those times when you've been hit with a huge expense and repair that ends up being such a good thing. I love that you got to keep the old glass. hmmmmm.... too bad you don't like glass things ;) I'll bet you'll come up with a wonderful artwork that will fit right in with all of the improvements you've been doing.

Great pictures! It must seem so weird not to have the traffic noise after all these years :D

I have to repeat myself... WOW!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.