Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Crafts and Creations - an occasional thread.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2017, 9:27am

Post #1 of 12 (477 views)
Shortcut
Crafts and Creations - an occasional thread. Can't Post

(A link to the previous thread here).

With the holiday season rapidly approaching, I though it might be a good time to catch up on what all our crafty and creative TORnsibs have been up to. Are any of you making gifts, or your own decorations? I'll be contenting myself with making a batch or so of my homemade chocolates.

My main creative outlet continues to be my writing, and yesterday I was reminded yet again of something I really should know by now: when a section simply refuses to work, there's a point at which the right thing to do is to get up from the computer and go for a walk/run/swim/whatever. When I finally threw up my hands and did just that, I'd barely gone a dozen steps before the solution came to me.

Over to you, crafty friends!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 15 2017, 1:06pm

Post #2 of 12 (440 views)
Shortcut
I haven't a picture online [In reply to] Can't Post

of the festive fabric 'parcel' wreath I've made, but it's very straightforward and looks attractive - a great way of using up oddments!

Drat - link to similar one didn't work. It's lots of little stuffed rectangular 'pockets' of fabric tied with ribbon so they look a bit like bows, then tied onto a wreath ring in a random fashion.

(This post was edited by Greenwood Hobbit on Dec 15 2017, 1:07pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 15 2017, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 12 (443 views)
Shortcut
A timely post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Several years ago I linked to a Twelve Days of Christmas calendar that I had made for my kids. We still use it, even though they are kind of getting too big for it.

Here is the link to the post on TORn. A couple of the links in the post no longer work (Bible verse website and manger template), but all my links to the pictures of the project do. Sorry for all the photobucket ads. Must be why I hardly use photobucket now. Unimpressed
Anyway, have a Merry Christmas!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 15 2017, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 12 (426 views)
Shortcut
Well maybe something... [In reply to] Can't Post

I finished making a shrug for my younger daughter, sorry but I've got no picture of it. It was kind of a Christmas gift. I got my older granddaughter a beginning crochet kit & look forward to showing her some things! Also, last night I met some of my neighbors at a HOA meeting. One young lady is quite pregnant, due Jan 1st; now I have an urge to make a baby blanket, LOL! I'll let you know.

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 16 2017, 11:38pm

Post #5 of 12 (409 views)
Shortcut
Not much, yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took longer than intended to finish the owl socks, and didn't get much dyeing done due to yarn supply issues.
No finished sock pictures, but here's my terribly trendy hand-dyed holiday yarn.

Destined to become fancy holiday socks, but not quite "Ugly Christmas Sweater" level festive. Unless I decide to use it for the Krampus socks, because that would look just sooo delightfully wrong! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 19 2017, 12:09pm

Post #6 of 12 (382 views)
Shortcut
I like to solve problems [In reply to] Can't Post

on a good walk or run. I always come up with the best ideas. I tore a tendon in my ankle this summer & I haven’t been ablle to walk much. I miss it,

I make cut out sugar cookies & paint the decorations on them. Today I’m making chocolate chip cookies. I love to cook. I made mushroom barley soup for dinner last night & my granddaughter’s friend seemed surprised that it was good. I told her I don’t mess around.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 4:41pm

Post #7 of 12 (325 views)
Shortcut
When you hit the wall, a walk-away definitely works :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm SO glad your walk and hand-throwing worked :D And that chocolate sounds wonnnnderful! *slaver, slurp*

Well... I'm afraid my garage roof is one of my on-going projects. I haven't been able to work on it since 2014, but I'm still planning on adding to the picture and finishing the capper (new shingles the length of the top of the roof).

For the one or two people who haven't heard the story, I needed to repair damage done by raccoons chewing a hole in the corner of my garage roof, repair the rot I found during the repair, and I desperately needed new shingles. NO money for that! So I ran around to yard sales, habitat for humanity shops, damaged goods from Home Depot, and what I found in my garage to find some shingles. I ended up with 7 different shapes, sizes, and colours of shingles. I was going to do a patchwork pattern on the roof, but then decided to do a Middle-earth picture instead that I worked on during the summers of 2013-2014.

I have some repairs to do since the old tree next to the garage fell onto and broke the corner of the garage messing up some of the shingles during a wind storm/blizzard Christmas Eve in 2015. Nothing too terrible, but yet another step before I can move on with making additions to the pic. The nasty part was I had to climb on the snowy roof with my chainsaw to take the weight off the roof, and I was just returning from the doctor's office with strep throat ;) It's all about the timing!!

Here's a slideshow of my plan and progress up until April 2014. Family and life demands pulled me away; but I'm determined to finish it this coming summer! I'm already working on cutting out the shingles for the design.
...I'm going to tweek Smaug's tail. I don't like that it doesn't follow an obvious path of where it starts and ends (pardon the pun).
...Add more to the greenery around the outline of the hobbit-hole. Shape it a bit more. It needs a bench... at least.
...Put a boat and other items around the lake to make it more apparent of what it is. Maybe make the broken corner of the roof into a waterfall by extending the grey shingles over the edge and dangling down a bit shaped into a waterfall?! hmmmm....
...I really want to add a wizard and hobbits somewhere. I have ideas; but it's still gelling ;) P'raps something with a cart?

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 26 2017, 4:51pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 5:10pm

Post #8 of 12 (322 views)
Shortcut
Sorta like this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe less pointy-edge and add the ribbon?

I had one like this for years and I absolutly loved it! I'll bet it was relaxing to put it together. A busy project that leaves you free to think about other things as you go along :)

Well Done!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 5:12pm

Post #9 of 12 (327 views)
Shortcut
This is so fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're over the sickies ;)

This is such a great way to keep track of things and revisit Christmas Past :D In spite of photobucket trash, I love it! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 5:14pm

Post #10 of 12 (320 views)
Shortcut
A baby blanket would be so great :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And your granddaughter would never forget doing that crochet with you. I still remember all of my sewing, crochet and knitting projects I was introduced to in my youth... many winters ago ;) We need more of that sharing, imho... so I hope you both have lots of fun with this one :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 5:19pm

Post #11 of 12 (321 views)
Shortcut
"delightfully wrong" would be so fun :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You hand-dyed that!? WOW! Well done! *wink* I think you should dye another batch and build the Krampus socks. Always go with inspiration! Then do the rest ;)

*high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 5:23pm

Post #12 of 12 (321 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry about your ankle. I hope it's getting better *warm hug* It's hard to mend when you have to keep using it. I did the same thing to the back of my knee, and I can't believe how much it's thrown off my gait, leg muscles (compensating), etc. I hear homemade cookies are really great for medical treatments! :D

I'll betcha lembas to cram that your g'd'daughter already told your friends how awesome you are!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.