Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino were considered for the LOTR movies.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 17 2017, 10:39pm

Post #26 of 33 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like touché to me. Thanks for posting that. [In reply to] Can't Post

So awfully sad.MadFrown

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Dec 17 2017, 10:40pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 18 2017, 5:03am

Post #27 of 33 (1141 views)
Shortcut
"Unless you make the art/artist distinction, art becomes a datum in biography." [In reply to] Can't Post

An apt quote by Jeet Heer I just stumbled across.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 18 2017, 8:08pm

Post #28 of 33 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Besides not being pregnant? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What prior work by Judd, Sorvino, Blanchett, Tyler, or Otto was most promising?

Well, first off, all the ladies are extremely talented critically acclaimed award winning actresses. Plus they weren't pregnant.

Judd: Posssibly Normal Life (1996) of which critic Peter Sobczynski remarked: "A Good Ashley Judd Film? Believe It or Not!", though the dark cult film The Passion of Darkly Noon (1994) may have caught Splatmeister Jackson’s eye, along with The Locusts (1997) whose bloody bull castration scene sent many in the audience outside to projectile vomit. (I note Mortensen was instantly cast after Jackson saw a hastily put together demo tape of Viggo’s roles in the bloody horror films Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990), The Prophecy (1995), and Psycho (1998), so I assume Judd would similarly have had a lock.)

Sorvino: I’m betting it was her work as the lead in del Toro’s film Mimic (1997) that caught horror fan Jackson's attention but surely her Oscar winning performance in Mighty Aphrodite (1995) was also a factor. (BTW, when the Weinsteins were about to fire del Toro from Mimic Sorvino threatened to pull out of the production. The Weinsteins relented but eventually got revenge by cutting (butchering) the final film. Del Toro released a restored director's cut in 2011.)

Blanchett: No doubt Elizabeth (1998), but also because she was 5’ 9” and not pregnant. (Jackson initially wanted Lucy Lawless for Galadriel, who turned the role down because of television commitments and pregnancy. The 5’ 0” Kylie Minogue was also offered the role, but was cut when she appeared “too tiny” on test footage.)

Tyler: At the time she was the biggest Hollywood star in the cast, which is how her agent managed to get her star billing. Also because she wasn’t pregnant. (Uma Thurman was first offered the role but turned it down because she was pregnant.) BTW, despite the accusations by many fans the reason Arwen's role was expanded was NOT because Tyler was sleeping with Jackson. Also Tyler said she visited TORn once to talk with fans but the vitriol over Arwen saddened and dismayed her and she never returned.

Otto: Probably for the critically acclaimed Australian films The Well (1997) and Doing Time for Patsy Cline (1997). She also supposedly was cast immediately after Jackson saw her audition tape where she recited one of Eowyn’s scenes first with an American accent, then with an English accent. Also because she wasn’t pregnant and was willing to commit time to a blockbuster. (Alison Doody was initially offered the role of Eowyn but turned it down because of her pregnancy. Kate Winslet was also offered the role but in various interviews has said she didn’t want the lengthy commitment and/or was tired of blockbusters after Titanic (1997). Supposedly Uma Thuman was also in the running for Eowyn, but like with the role of Arwen, she considered her pregnancy and bonding time with her new-born infant as more important.)

In any event, I'm confident both Judd and Sorvino could have done very well with the roles and brought their own interpretations that would have had people going "Tyler as Arwen and Blanchett as Galadriel?!?!? Are you crazy!?!? Judd and Sorvino were PERFECT!!!"

So it goes.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 18 2017, 10:42pm

Post #29 of 33 (1080 views)
Shortcut
There's a director's cut of "Mimic"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't care for the theatrical version, but perhaps I should have guessed that it had been recut by someone other than del Toro.

There are four lights.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 18 2017, 10:42pm

Post #30 of 33 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Although, like some other myths, it does have aspirational value. // [In reply to] Can't Post

There are four lights.

Eldaria
Rivendell

Dec 20 2017, 8:06am

Post #31 of 33 (1013 views)
Shortcut
More on Peter Jackson/Weinstein [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...-he-may-have-smeared

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 20 2017, 8:29pm

Post #32 of 33 (980 views)
Shortcut
I've always felt [In reply to] Can't Post

that PJ and co. are really good at casting. Like the choices they've made are almost always perfect. But then I keep hearing stories like this of 'who they almost cast' and I'm like what???

As sad as this story is I can not imagine how terrible either one of these actors would have been in these films. Majorly dodged a bullet there, even if for the wrong reasons.

Attalus
Lorien

Jan 5, 6:09am

Post #33 of 33 (810 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought that Gweneth Paltrow would have been a better Galadriel than Cate Blanchett, but that might just have been PJ's direction

We are the fighting Uruk-Hai! We slew the great warrior! Well, yeah, first he killed a bunch of us and another whole lot of Mauhúr's lads, and we had to shoot enough arrows into him to drop a Mûmak. But we got him

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.