The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Kings of old Gondor

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2017, 11:19pm

Post #1 of 3 (1583 views)
Shortcut
The Kings of old Gondor Can't Post

One thing that strikes me about the history of Gondor is that their classic Kings in general where not very good, one could argue. At first they ddin't do a bad job in expanding Gondor, though perhaps they where a bit Imperialistic to their southern neighbours. But at one stage, Gondor was the most powerful nation in the world, but by a series of mishaps, the rulers managed to loose nearly all of it, weaken their own succession and in the end dying out! Permenantly dying out as well as they where only restored by the northern line under Elessar. They couldn't really have done a lot worse! Now, some of this was caused by Sauron, but not all. I think quite a bit must have been by their own incompetence.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 14 2017, 3:38am

Post #2 of 3 (1562 views)
Shortcut
As distinct from Numenorean kings or inclusive? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking over the list of Gondorian kings...

"Tarannon Falastur b. 654 r. 840–913. First of the Ship-Kings, died childless. Began a policy of exploration and expansion which greatly increased the power of Gondor. His Queen was the notorious Berúthiel, whom Tarannon was forced to send into exile."

Hmm, I don't recall anything about them, especially the "notorious" Beruthiel. Will have to read up on them.

Most were always engaged in war, be it against the long running enemy the Corsairs of Umbar or other foes.

Some were good at taking Gondor to the height of power.....Hyarmendacil I (Ciryaher)..but things did decay slowly from then on.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2017, 11:54pm

Post #3 of 3 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Always was fated to return, but he might have had more of a powerful enemy to return to.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.