Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Happy Anniversary reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 12 2017, 3:30pm

Post #1 of 26 (708 views)
Shortcut
It's the Happy Anniversary reading thread! Can't Post

Yes, today is the Gaffer's and my 46th wedding anniversary, which, as far as we're concerned, is proof of quantum physics. Smile

Also, TORnsibs NZ Strider and Roheryn had the good taste to be married on our 33rd wedding anniversary, so a happy anniverary to them too! Heart

As for reading....

In paper I read Guilt Edged by W. J. Burley, a traditional British police procedural written in the early 70s. Even though the main character, Superintendent Wycliffe, is more introspective than many detectives, the story moved right along---barring my occasionally skidding to a halt at, say, the lack of cell phones or the like.

Also on paper I indulged in book two of Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series, Moon Over Soho. I really, really enjoy these fantasy/mystery novels---they have a remarkably strong, wry voice and a fine sense of contemporary London. In this installment, young police constable/apprentice wizard Peter Grant finds himself working a series of murders involving London's jazz clubs.

I've now given up on a third audio book in a row. First a literary mystery, then a chicklit novel, and now River Gods by Wilbur Smith. I have a friend who loves Smith's thrillers, especially ones like this, set in ancient Egypt. But after an entire disc of two characters chatting about their world in general and everything that's happened in that world in the last century or so, I decided this particular book was a sequel and looked it up. Yep, it's book 4 or 5 in a series. No kidding!

Now I'm listening to What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell, a collection of essays he originally wrote for The New Yorker on topics ranging from ketchup to hedge funds. He explains the title in an introduction, how he finds himself wondering not what a dog trainer thinks, but what the dog being trained thinks.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 12 2017, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 26 (630 views)
Shortcut
wow, has it been 13 years since Ro & NZ Strider wed? [In reply to] Can't Post

how time flies!

I wonder about some of the other marriages brought about by TORn. We know about Altaira & BZ, but I do wonder how Ugly Troll & GalTx are doing. And didn't Pukel-man and . . . Varda, was it? . . . get married too?

1971 was a good year for weddings. My brother's still married (June 1971), as is my cousin (May 1971). I was a bridesmaid in SIX weddings that year!

I am reading "Assassin's Fate," the final book in the Fitz and the Fool series by Robin Hobb. I'm missing out on some stuff because apparently one needs to read all her "Liveship" books too, but I just couldn't get into those. I do wish Hobb had an editor like Max Perkins to convince her that she could cut out some of her endless detail - and this is me saying that! But alas, I fear I'm in for a lot more drawn-out chapters of Bee suffering and Fitz doubting himself before we get to the action.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 12 2017, 5:10pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2017, 7:39pm

Post #3 of 26 (617 views)
Shortcut
on the topic of weddings [In reply to] Can't Post

My DH and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary next June - hopefully in Ireland! Sorry, that's totally unrelated to your discussion, but I just had to throw that one out there.

I finished reading "How to be Brave" by Louise Beech, a fairly new English writer. The book was a combination of contemporary fiction and historical nonfiction. The two characters, Natalie and her 9-yr-old daughter Rose are dealing with Rose's recent onset of Type I diabetes, by reading about Natalie's grandfather. He was a merchant mariner whose ship was sunk during WWII, and was one of two survivors that lasted 50 days on a raft. That's actually the historical nonfiction part. It also had a theme of story-telling, as in what makes a good story, and whether some details should be withheld. All in all not a bad book, I'd give it at least 8 out of 10 and would be interested in reading her book "Maria in the Moon" when it's available. However, I bought myself "Middle-earth from Script to Screen" for a Christmas gift (no one else in my family would buy ANYTHING Tolkien-related for me; they REFUSE to be enablersMad), and that should arrive any day now. So I'm currently re-reading "The Hobbit," LOL!

Btw, I've never listened to an audiobook - not even the ones narrated by Richard ArmitageHeartEvil, because I'm afraid my mind would wander and I'd miss something important (especially if HE were narrating it!).

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Dec 12 2017, 7:40pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2017, 11:02pm

Post #4 of 26 (607 views)
Shortcut
Just started Ufthak's Dark Deeds [In reply to] Can't Post

and loving it so far. This is the third book in the Keiko series - an interplanetary ship that's captained by a one-eyed Mexican, and the crew consists of a Chinese pilot, her brother, a Maori, a black woman, a Muslim and a white young woman. Quite the diverse crew, and the adventures they encounter are fast-paced and thrilling. So far I think this is the best of the series, and hope that Ufthie gets the green light for more.

Even better, my vote is for Taika Waititi to direct the Keiko movies.Smile

Here's the author's website.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 12 2017, 11:05pm

Post #5 of 26 (598 views)
Shortcut
Wow, time flies! I've been downloading some librivox recordings [In reply to] Can't Post

and listening to them on my mp3 player during my commute. Some very dear old favorites have new life in them with the dramatic recordings: The Secret Garden, Wuthering Heights, Little Women (I'm anxiously waiting for them to finish Little Men and Jo's Boys), Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, the Patchwork Girl of Oz. And just now I'm listening to Emma. She's having to explain to Harriet how mistaken she was about Mr. Elton :-( Emma is my favorite Austen novel, mostly because, being independently wealthy,she doesn't obsess about getting married. Well, at least not about herself getting married :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2017, 11:41pm

Post #6 of 26 (600 views)
Shortcut
OMG that's genius. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Even better, my vote is for Taika Waititi to direct the Keiko movies.Smile

The possibilities are exciting! Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 13 2017, 4:28am

Post #7 of 26 (581 views)
Shortcut
I'm on a Brandon Sanderson kick, I suppose, [In reply to] Can't Post

having just finished the Mistborn trilogy and started Elantris. Sometimes it's nice to escape into a fantasy world!

After hearing the author interviewed on NPR today I also cruised by my local library to pick up Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy Seal's Journey to Coming Out Transgender by Kristin Beck.

Finally, I'm still struggling through Foreign Devils on the Silk Road by Peter Hornkirk, about the cultural heritage of central Asia that was carted off to museums in other countries

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 4:44pm

Post #8 of 26 (563 views)
Shortcut
now you've kicked off my imagination [In reply to] Can't Post

what if Taika had taken over "The Hobbit" instead of PJ? I think I'd have liked it a lot more . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 4:45pm

Post #9 of 26 (561 views)
Shortcut
this WOULD have been my 30th year of marriage [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm glad it's not, even though I understand my wasband FINALLY started taking the medication.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2017, 6:06pm

Post #10 of 26 (552 views)
Shortcut
Given the cries of 'sacrilege' regarding the slapstick in The Hobbit, [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt poor TORN would have fared better with a Waititi version of the films. Tongue

I'll bet they would have been shorter, though.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 8:33pm

Post #11 of 26 (536 views)
Shortcut
ah but [In reply to] Can't Post

it would have been FUNNY slapstick.

Humor's not really PJ's thing.

-- Gaston Bachelard

sador
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 8:40pm

Post #12 of 26 (538 views)
Shortcut
"And then one day you find / ten years have got behind you" [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of anniversaries - two weeks ago was my 10th TORniversary. I have been thinking for some time how to celebrate the day, couldn't make up my mind (or did several times), and when the day came I suddenly received a new urgent project at work, and then a couple of sick children, and there it went!

Anyway, congratulations! 46 years is truly inspiring. My wife still puts up with me after sixteen - dare I hope for three decades more???

As for the topic of this thread - I am in the middle of re-reading War and Peace. That will last for a while, as I am short of time for reading. Waiting on the shelf are The Fountainhead (I haven't read Ayn Rand yet, and decided it is time to make up my own mind about her), and the complete works of Milton. That will keep me busy for a while.

But War and Peace will take me some time, yet - I haven't yet got to Tolstoy's first musings about the role of individuals in history. I once thought the raising of the siege of Berlin in the 1760s quite refuted his theories - but I must re-read him with this question in my mind.

Many happy returns of the day!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 8:47pm

Post #13 of 26 (534 views)
Shortcut
Yes, 1971 was a good year for weddings [In reply to] Can't Post

The one wedding in 1971 for which I served as bridesmaid eventually dissolved---and not before time, sadly. But then, we'll be going out tomorrow with two very dear friends who were also married in May that year.

Time doesn't fly, it zooms at light speed. Shocked

"Wasband"? I never heard that before, but it's a great word.

(This post was edited by Lily Fairbairn on Dec 13 2017, 8:51pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 8:49pm

Post #14 of 26 (528 views)
Shortcut
Hey, 30 is a great number! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you and Mr. Kili make it to Ireland, which is a positively magical place.

My mind does wander when I listen to audiobooks, but since I can't always read on paper, audios are a very good thing.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2017, 8:50pm

Post #15 of 26 (533 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll find yourself at 46 before you know it---and those children will have children of their own even sooner!

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2017, 11:07pm

Post #16 of 26 (518 views)
Shortcut
That does sound interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

The trouble with a lot of the classic things I like such as Lotr is that they are a bit Oxbridge saves the world. Or the galaxy or the Universe. Without been too PC it is nice to have an alternative idea!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2017, 2:41am

Post #17 of 26 (499 views)
Shortcut
It's a fun series. [In reply to] Can't Post

Irreverent. With a touch of Tolkien tossed in, of course! Highly recommended.

I too have just started Dark Deeds...Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

sador
Half-elven

Dec 14 2017, 5:17am

Post #18 of 26 (493 views)
Shortcut
I hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

And a correction - we are near eighteen years. My firstborn is sixteen. I don't know how I got this mixed up. Blush

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2017, 9:55pm

Post #19 of 26 (467 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

To both the Fairbairns and the Striders!

I finally read 'Beren and Lúthien', having bought it earlier this year and never actually opening it. Although it was all repurposed material I did enjoy it and it was interesting to see how it developed through the years and forms of the tale.

Storm clouds

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2017, 8:59am

Post #20 of 26 (434 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently reading Artemis, Andy Weir's new novel. I'll save my comments until I've read further, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity for congratulations. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 15 2017, 2:14pm

Post #21 of 26 (422 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

To both adorable couples!

What am I reading? Spreadsheets on Christmas tree sales. Our boy scout troop sells trees as our only fundraiser. We make good money, but with a troop of only 25 boys, it's hard work getting people to man the tree lot. I suggested this as a fundraiser a few years ago, and you know what that means...when you suggest a fundraiser, you are in charge of that fundraiser! Oy! Hopefully we'll be done by this weekend.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 15 2017, 2:20pm

Post #22 of 26 (421 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on the anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read anything but the news, texts, and emails lately, so just offering congratulations on reaching a great milestone.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 15 2017, 4:10pm

Post #23 of 26 (415 views)
Shortcut
Just you wait [In reply to] Can't Post

My kids are now so far along I have to stop and do the math before I can pin down how old they are!

I neglected to wish you a happy TORniversary, btw, so here it is Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 15 2017, 4:11pm

Post #24 of 26 (413 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so dry here, with dust and smoke filling the air, that I'm almost speaking like Bilbo: Thag you bery buch!

Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2017, 10:12pm

Post #25 of 26 (198 views)
Shortcut
A Very late Congrats to Mr & You and NZS & Ro! WOW! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Such an incredible day to get married! :D

All my best wishes and blessings to both of you (singles and pairs)!! I love you all so much and pray for good health, joy, prosperity, and loads of fun!

HUGS!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.