Welcome to this week's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2017, 3:29pm

Post #51 of 63 (565 views)
Shortcut
*massive hug* oh geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

What has been going on in California with all of the firest over the past few months is horrific... but this batch is monstrous with the wind punishing everyone! I'm so glad you're okay and those you know; but is it just a matter of time!? I so hope the fires are stopped soon.

Please be careful! I'm so glad you're safe :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Annael
Immortal

Dec 10 2017, 4:43pm

Post #52 of 63 (567 views)
Shortcut
I've tried [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep them going, including putting them in a closet to hibernate. But they always die. So now I just toss 'em on the compost heap as soon as they start to drop leaves.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 11 2017, 7:38pm

Post #53 of 63 (532 views)
Shortcut
Botanical planned obsolescence??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I swear poinsettias have been DNA-altered to die in a few weeks. Mine probably will be dead by Xmas at the rate it's dropping leaves. And cleverly enough, the greens are falling off everyday, but the reds are holding on. So I suspect mine is destined to a short life. (I asked the green thumbs I know, and they all say the same thing--these things die in a month now, not like they used to 20-30 years ago.) Not sure how that's so exactly engineered, but it is.

It reminds me of buying a new house in the 1990s which needed all new landscaping. Loading up at a garden store, the manager looked over my haul and said, "Putting in a new yard, huh?" Which led me to talk about various things, including the high hopes I had for the roses I bought. My grandmother planted roses in the 1920s that are a little scraggly but still alive & blooming 70 years later (and now they're almost 100). The manager laughed and said with today's hybrids, I'd be lucky if they lasted 20 years. Oh well. I guess that helps fuel the "heirloom" movement to plant pre-hybrid plant varieties.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 11 2017, 8:25pm

Post #54 of 63 (529 views)
Shortcut
I have a rose [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a direct descendant of one a relative hauled all the way west on the Oregon trail. It's one of the oldest roses, a Rosa Mundi Gallica, and propagates by sending up new shoots from the roots, which are easily transplanted.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2343.14

I've always planted Peace roses too, but they don't seem to be as healthy as the ones my mom had.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 12 2017, 9:32am

Post #55 of 63 (502 views)
Shortcut
I have Rosa Mundi too - [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a lovely joyful-looking rose, and bee-friendly, as it has an open heart.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 12 2017, 9:37am

Post #56 of 63 (502 views)
Shortcut
I'll never forget seeing poinsettias [In reply to] Can't Post

growing as nature intended, in the botanical gardens in Durban. It was quite an eye-opener! They were exuberant shrubs about 5' high and across, not the unnaturally forced potted cuttings bought at Christmas. Also saw big clumps of strelitzias (sp?) there, and spider plants used as ground cover under the trees.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 12 2017, 4:58pm

Post #57 of 63 (490 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

when I saw a jade plant HEDGE in Southern California I felt so sorry for my potted jade.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 12 2017, 6:32pm

Post #58 of 63 (487 views)
Shortcut
Poinsettias [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the problem with poinsettias is that they are forced to bloom big in bright lights and high fertilizer. Then the average homeowner buys them and puts them in normal household light and water. Hence the leaf drop and short life.

As far as roses go, stick with those that are on their own roots and not grafted onto something else. Buy from a reputable nursery and not a home improvement store.
And the "antique" roses are antique for a reason. They are tough.
Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2017, 3:08am

Post #59 of 63 (472 views)
Shortcut
*brings in tray of leftover cookies* [In reply to] Can't Post

We always get far more baked, than the watchers eat! I think most are chocolate chip or oatmeal. Fortunately they freeze well!

The parade was chilly, but fun to see all the kids on floats and dancers wearing lights. My favorite was the fire engine which was lighted to look like a rooftop with a smoking brick chimney. Ready for Santa - but first, they need to put that fire out! Laugh

You're right that the candles need something heavier at their bases. I'm going to have to experiment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2017, 3:14am

Post #60 of 63 (471 views)
Shortcut
I think the storm blew itself out [In reply to] Can't Post

We ended up with only 2-3" of slushy snow; the silneldors ended up with 10" in the North Carolina hills.

So we had some snow on the ground to look pretty against the lights from the parade. It was still chilly, though, and pouring hot cocoa didn't keep my fingers warm enough! Laugh But the passers-by are always happy for some goodies.

I'm going to have to experiment with getting the lights' bases weighted, or maybe even velco them to the windowsill...? I wonder...!

Do you have lights dangling on Smaug the hedge?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2017, 3:21am

Post #61 of 63 (475 views)
Shortcut
That's too bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

About those allergies making it difficult for the local family to visit. Especially the dust from the road, it can kick up a lot of stuff. But I'm glad it all works out in the end!

I do think Smaug the hedge would look cool, all sparkly for the holiday!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 16 2017, 6:59pm

Post #62 of 63 (445 views)
Shortcut
so scary [In reply to] Can't Post

my school in Carpinteria is in grave danger.

One sort of weird thing: I used to stay on occasion with a wealthy friend in Montecito. She lived next door to Oprah. She sold her house a couple of years ago and moved up to this area. Apparently the house was recently sold again - to Ellen DeGeneres! I only found out when I saw a picture with the article about those homes being threatened and went "wait . . . I know that place!" It was built in the 1800s and has a lot of history. Brings the fire closer to me, if I wasn't already worried about my school & all the people I know who live in the area. Praying that you all stay safe.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 16 2017, 6:59pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 2 2018, 5:40pm

Post #63 of 63 (394 views)
Shortcut
Hope everyone is okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's quite the string of owners for one house.

Crossing my fingers that everyone I know is okay, when I go back to work tomorrow.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.