Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! December 7

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2017, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 7 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! December 7 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

How are you coming along in your Quests? Have you discovered your favourite way to gather your miles? T'is the season to change tact, in my situation. It's just too cold to walk my country roads or dig in the yard anymore. Temps got to 12 degrees F with the wind chill (spiking at 35 mph). Sooooooo... I'm moving indoors ;)

I've already moved the treadmill into the livingroom in front of the tv. I find I use it a LOT more if I walk during Fixer Upper or the evening news. But I'm also starting some heavy-duty cleaning as I rearrange furniture, storage tubs and other items. Lots of things got moved from the basement to the upstairs bedrooms to save from my summer flooding. Now it's time to move it all back down AFTER getting the basement in order. I'm so not looking forward to this... but the heaving and hauling and basement stairs action will be a WtR payoff!

So how about your action? How's it going? :) DO TELL!!!

My Progress: 38 miles
Cumulated 472 miles of the 578 miles into the Ride with Merry. The Rohirrim, Dernwyn, Merry and I are STILL on our way to the aid of Gondor. Soon we'll reach the Druadan Forest and camp out of sight of the road. The scouts sent ahead have reported that tenches are blocking the road. Hmmm... how on [Middle-]earth are we going to get the army around that!?

If you'd like some help keeping track of your progress in the Walk to Rivendell Charts, just PM me and I'll be happy to figure out where you are and help you keep track as you move along :) Or take a look at the resources at the end of this post. I give you a step-by-step of how I like to keep track of my progress. The hardest part of using the Charts is to decide which one to start with!

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

gramma's charts
This the the link to TORn's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond charts for Bilbo's return journey from the Lonely Mountain. Please let me know if there are any corrections or suggestions you have for them :)
https://sites.google.com/site/tornswalktorivendell/

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 7 2017, 2:34pm)

tinkermarm
Bree

Dec 9 2017, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 7 (1117 views)
Shortcut
'tis chilly, indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy December, gramma!

When I'm home, I'm bundling up more and just gritting through the chill (which I don't think has been in the teens just yet, although it may have gotten there last night) to get some miles in. When I'm not home for a while (like now), I'm just lacking on the miles and doing more calisthenic-type exercise to still get some movement in.

So, real-world mileage is somewhat lacking these days, but that means (hopefully) more progress on the app. Actually, last night was a big milestone: finally, after probably eight weeks or more, I finished the preliminary mapping. I've officially plotted out 1803 miles from Hobbiton to Mordor. It doesn't sound like a lot, but trying to get the shapes just right and recompile the code and things takes a bit of time. I'm still probably going to rearrange some things, and there's that bit about the trek between the Last Bridge and Rivendell that I may go back and tweak more, but for now that part is functionally done so that I can move on to the next parts of the app. Anyway, things are moving along.

Good to have you on the road, gramma--keep warm up there! :)

The road goes ever on and on...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2017, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 7 (1099 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* Congrats on the mapping! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! The foundation is laid! Now on to the fun stuff, right? What a hurdle! Like with anything when you're starting out... there are changes as you're developing that initial mapping, which adds so much time and affort... but it's so worth it now!

WELL DONE!

To me, calisthenics and any other effort to accumulate miles counts as much as walking or running outside. If anything, imho, it's harder because you don't have the extra perk of fresh warm air, tweeting birds, and landscape ;) Although, I really do like being able to watch tv as I tred along indoors and look out the window at the snow and sleeping trees ;)

Best of journeys on your mapping and development! SO EXCITING!!!! :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 15 2017, 12:38pm

Post #4 of 7 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! December 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

And a Traveller I certainly am this week. I've gone partway across the country and am helping my Baltimore daughter and her family move into their new home. So I'm getting oooodles of action!

How has it been in your neck of the woods? Having a good week, so-so- week, or just downright disappointing? We need the quiet weeks once in a while to regroup and remember what it's like to get bored ;)

My Progress: 38 miles
Cumulated 510 miles of the 578 miles into the Ride with Merry. I’m still with the Rohirrim, Dernhelm and Merry as we try to get some long-needed sleep, but we keep hearing drums in the woods. Then, out of nowhere, came a very strange wild man named Ghân-buri-Ghân, their Chief. He offers to guide the us to the fields of Gondor through a hidden way. Let’s go!

Please see my previous post for the links to charts and exercise info :D Have a GREAT week... and I'll see you (literally) on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

tinkermarm
Bree

Dec 16 2017, 2:38am

Post #5 of 7 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Downright Unproductive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, gramma!

All good in my neck of the woods, just not super productive. Having now gotten to the trickier part of the app development right before the holidays, I'm taking a little time off to spend more with family and get other stuff all in order to start tackling it a lot more after the holidays are over.

I say that, but I'm already looking into ways to fix the little issues that have come up while developing the app anyway. I guess with the plan I have, I can keep working on it a little without the added pressure of the deadlines I like to set for myself. ;)

Haven't been walking much, but still working out a bit more regularly. I think I may try to finish up reading The Fellowship over Christmas. Can't think of a nicer way to spend some reading time. :)

I will probably catch up with you (and the rest of the gang here) before then, but just in case: I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

The road goes ever on and on...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2017, 1:22pm

Post #6 of 7 (1053 views)
Shortcut
The holidays change our routines [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's a good distraction to hang out with family and enjoy the season :D I completely agree spending Christmas with the Fellowship is always a good thing! Excellent progress on the app :D TALLY HO!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2017, 3:41am

Post #7 of 7 (984 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! December 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

We're getting very close to the end of the year and entering the very busy holiday season. I just got back from helping my Baltimore family move into a new home, so I did a BUNCH of packing, toting boxes, and stairs. All of that was blended into driving from Michigan to Iowa to Indiana to Maryland then home again for a total of 2,550 miles over a 10-day period. So I got some mileage in that mileage. It's great to be back home again! :D

How are you doing? What are you doing to accumulate your mileage? There are so many creative ways to move along :) DO TELL!

My Progress: 35 miles
Cumulated 545 miles of the 578 miles into the Ride with Merry. The Rohirrim, Dernhelm, Merry and I are quietly moving toward the Pelennor Field through the night. We can see a red glow on the clouds ahead from the fires of Minas Tirith.

TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note

FYI - How I track my mileage

gramma's charts
This the the link to TORn's Walk to Rivendell and Beyond charts for Bilbo's return journey from the Lonely Mountain. Please let me know if there are any corrections or suggestions you have for them :)
https://sites.google.com/site/tornswalktorivendell/

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.