Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Wondering how animatronics work?

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2008, 3:37am

Views: 164
Shortcut
Wondering how animatronics work? Can't Post

After reading Guillermo del Toro's interview recently about how he was planning to used animatronics more than CGI, I wondered what exactly is animatronics. I came across this today and thought it would help explain to those tech neophytes among you (like yours truly) what is involved in using this method of special effects...

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/...tronic.htm/printable

The jury is still out for me, though, on whether this is truly the best way to handle the Smaug scenes... I don't mind the close-ups, but the full-body shots, especially when it's the attack on Lonely Mountain and Laketown... now that's a whole other kettle of fisssh.

Miss ? Then Join Us.

Subject User Time
Wondering how animatronics work? diedye Send a private message to diedye Apr 30 2008, 3:37am
    Agreed. I truly think in the end... ShadoFaxs Send a private message to ShadoFaxs Apr 30 2008, 6:36am
        Animatronics Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Apr 30 2008, 3:47pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.