For all you paleontology lovers: Fell Beasts were Good Moms

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 2 2017, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 8 (603 views)
Shortcut
For all you paleontology lovers: Fell Beasts were Good Moms Can't Post

Correct link: https://www.reuters.com/...ters+Science+News%29

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 2 2017, 6:47pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 2 2017, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 8 (581 views)
Shortcut
Link? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you linked to the wrong story.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 2 2017, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 8 (581 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's wierd. Here's the right one, and I'll ask the admins to change the original [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.reuters.com/...ters+Science+News%29

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 2 2017, 5:46pm

Post #4 of 8 (567 views)
Shortcut
Much better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien never really confirmed that the winged Fell Beasts were pterosaurs that had been mutated by Sauron (or Morgoth before him), but it's hard for me to think of them as anything else. However, just as Trolls could be seen as twisted mockeries of Ents, and Orcs as wretched reflections of Men and Elves, the Fell Beasts can be viewed as mockeries of the Great Eagles.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 2 2017, 6:42pm

Post #5 of 8 (560 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree on both counts. I can't imagine he didn't have something ptero-ish in the back of his mind, though.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 2 2017, 6:46pm

Post #6 of 8 (561 views)
Shortcut
And possibly significantly more feathered? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't under-feather your dinosaur

Check out the new-lookT-Rex at the end. Shocked

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 2 2017, 11:47pm

Post #7 of 8 (537 views)
Shortcut
Especially more than the iceberg [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Okay, that is the best thing I have ever seen. Sly

Although pterosaurs aren't thought to be dinosaurs, and therefore may be plumage exempt--but they may be fuzzy! (Wikipeida) Many sported furry coats made up of hair-like filaments known as pycnofibers, which covered their bodies and parts of their wings.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 7 2017, 11:12am

Post #8 of 8 (491 views)
Shortcut
Pterosaurs are very interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a fantastic special exhibit about them here a few years back that was as good as any I've seen about dinosaurs, which really stoked my interest in them. It's currently at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco:

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/pterosaurs-flight-in-the-age-of-dinosaurs

They range from delicately tiny to very large indeed. The model of the Quetzalcoatlus in particular was absolutely terrifying. Would not have wanted to have met that thing.

The one pet peeve of mine is that pterosaurs, marine reptiles (especially the Mosasaurs and Plesiosaurs) and worst of all even Dimetrodon - a synapsid (think proto mammal) which didn't even exist in the Mesozoic - are still routinely lumped with dinosaurs although the media which does so should know better in this day and age. Pterosaurs were the dino's closest relatives, but no, they weren't dinos. Doesn't take away from them being fascinating creatures.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.