Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone! It's Fiesta Friday
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 38 (2062 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, everyone! It's Fiesta Friday Can't Post

Hello, one and all! Welcome to a Black Friday, almost cyber-Monday Fiesta!

The holiday season starts in earnest today, although (of course) holiday decorations have been out in stores for weeks (seems more like months). I have a few things on my Black Friday shopping list today, as everyone in the U.S. has the day off (other than retail and restaurants, of course). I'm even not going to work! Yippee! We have lots of yummy deep-fired turkey, stuffing, and dessert leftovers that we don't worry about what to eat either. Double yippie!

How about you? Are you going out to shop? Shopping from the comfort of your home? Avoiding it all together? Laugh Order your favorite drinkie and have a pass at the buffet, stocked with traditional U.S. Thanksgiving goodies, and let us know!

*kicks juke box* "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas" by BIng Crosby starts to play

Happy weekend, everyone!! LaughHeartSmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 38 (2022 views)
Shortcut
Now here's a thing unheard of... [In reply to] Can't Post

Am I really first to Fiesta? I'll have a peppermint hot chocolate, please, barkeep!

We're getting the whole family, my parents, siblings, and the niece and nephews, together for Thanksgiving, but due to schedules, we won't all have gathered together until Sunday, so that's when we'll have our feast with all 12. So far there are 8 of us and we're merely hanging out and eating lots of good food. ;-) Three more arrive today, so the party just keeps growing. Fortunately, this crowd isn't dwarvishly hard on the plates and the plumbing....at least not yet!

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Nov 24 2017, 6:36pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 38 (2007 views)
Shortcut
Now *that* sounds marvelous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both the hot chocolate and the gathering! Happy visiting until Sunday, then happy eating! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 38 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Only grocery-shopping! [In reply to] Can't Post

Had to get some herb sprigs for my turkey stock, which is now simmering nicely on the stove - ah, what an aroma through the house, sage and rosemary and thyme!

Deep-fried turkey? I'll take a slice, and just hot tea, please, Altaira - Constant Comment, I think I left a box behind the bar. Getting over a week-long head cold, which I very generously gave to hubby Tongue. Fortunately we were both well enough yesterday to meet with the in-laws for a Turkey dinner out. But I did cook up a small turkey breast once we got back home, had to have enough for sandwiches, soups, and of course cold-fighting stock!

Yay to having the day off from work! So what stores are you planning to hit today? Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 6:22pm

Post #5 of 38 (2007 views)
Shortcut
That's the best way to have a Thanksgiving [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting everyone together for enough time to just sit and chat and enjoy each other's company. Heart

Just take care if one of them starts singing "Blunt the knives..."! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 6:31pm

Post #6 of 38 (2002 views)
Shortcut
I can almost smell the yummy aromas from here [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad you're feeling better and that your colds didn't interfere with your dinner out. I bet it was fun, and a nice break to have someone waiting on you. Among the things I'll be buying today are sheets, Christmas wreath for the front door and swags for the outdoor lights, and undoubtedly a few other things that catch my eye as deals to good to resist, lol.

Get lots of rest, drink plenty of that yummy broth, and feel better! HeartSmile

cats16
Valinor

Nov 24 2017, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 38 (2006 views)
Shortcut
Punctual, for once! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, a couple of days off work...I could get used to this! Another raspberry lemonade, please--it was 95 degrees on Wednesday, 90 yesterday and 85ish today! I'll be finishing off my (fake) turkey roast for lunch in a bit.

No shopping for me this weekend. I did hear a funny story about how my father tried to go to the local WalMart last night after realizing he had forgotten his gluten free gravy. He arrived at 6:30pm, but the store had just opened for Black Friday 30 minutes earlier. He gave up in the checkout line due to the madness. All of the extended family tried to tell him that would happen, but he's too stubborn. Wish I had been there to see that. Laugh

Mostly a weekend of relaxation for me. I grabbed dinner the other night with my bff, who was in town for the holiday. I've also been able to start writing my own stuff again, which was long overdue.

Have a great weekend, everyone! Keeping the folks who work in retail in my thoughts too...

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 7:19pm

Post #8 of 38 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Hey, cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goodness, it's been warm there! No wonder you're craving a raspberry lemonade (*serves one up with lots of ice*).

Too funny about your dad. I rarely venture out for Black Friday for that very reason. Once, B.G. and I did go to Costco, but we scoped out the things we wanted (tablets and usb storage) and where they were in the store (near the front), got there right when they opened, and we were in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Enjoy your relaxing weekend!! Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 7:33pm

Post #9 of 38 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Some local stores have jumped onto the Black Friday bandwagon [In reply to] Can't Post

with three-day sales sales that started yesterday. I suppose it's as good a hook as any to try to get people through the doors for a Christmas spend-up.

Yesterday I plucked the first ripe strawberries from my patch. Home-grown always tastes best. Smile

I'll have a proper 1420 thanks Altaira - might as well get the day started right.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 8:02pm

Post #10 of 38 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm, fresh strawberries! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't they early (not that I know a thing about growing strawberries)? I've become semi-addicted to putting a few cut-up ones in my salads. They really brighten them up!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! HeartSmile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 8:06pm

Post #11 of 38 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Nope, they're bang on time. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

They were flowering up earlier but I followed the instructions of the garden centre and plucked the flowers until the start of November, as early fruit can be bitter. On TV news last night was an item saying this is a bumper fruit season for the South Island horticulturalists (cherries, strawberries, etc) because of the mild winter and hot November - looks like we're going to be overloaded with summer fruit. Smile

Today I'll be getting a watermelon plant into the garden. I've been growing it inside so it can get a bit of size going before transplantation, and I noticed last night that first fruit nodules have appeared. More than time to get it planted!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 24 2017, 10:21pm

Post #12 of 38 (1993 views)
Shortcut
I didn't go "Black Friday shopping" [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did brave a couple of stores. Bed, Bath & Beyond is the only place that I know of that sells the brand and flavor of coffee I like, so I went there. At 9:00 AM they weren't too crowded, and since they were handing out 20% off coupons, I got a new bed sheet set. They were playing Christmas music. I know it's the day after Thanksgiving, but that's too early for me. There isn't enough good Christmas music to start listening to it this early, without repeating it over and over and over...

Then I stopped by the grocery store on the way home to get more milk.

I need to go to my eye doctor's office to pick up the glasses I ordered, but I think I've had enough going for one day.

So I've been hanging around the house playing Lord of the Rings Online this afternoon.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 10:30pm

Post #13 of 38 (1996 views)
Shortcut
What's a deep-fired turkey? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anyone in the UK does anything with a turkey except roast it, and then make things like pie and curry from the leftovers!

I'm feeling remarkably well-prepared for Christmas, although I'm currently struggling over which crackers to buy. Trying to find ones with decent gifts inside that aren't ridiculously expensive is proving tricky.

Storm clouds

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 10:56pm

Post #14 of 38 (1986 views)
Shortcut
I'd just like some decent jokes in mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm currently struggling over which crackers to buy. Trying to find ones with decent gifts inside that aren't ridiculously expensive is proving tricky.

I've never seen a cracker trinket that's worth keeping, but a good/punny joke is a must!

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 11:37pm

Post #15 of 38 (1982 views)
Shortcut
I assume it's a typo for "deep-fried". [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is a recent Thanksgiving turkey-cooking fad.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

cats16
Valinor

Nov 25 2017, 1:12am

Post #16 of 38 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite warm, indeed! I was in need of a nap this afternoon but couldn't fall asleep due to the heat. Cooling off now, thankfully.

Oh that was lucky for you two! I guess my dad tried to convince the cashiers to let him wiggle through the self-checkout since he had the one little item. Clearly that didn't work. Sly

Thanks! Hope you're enjoying that non-working weekend of yours.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 25 2017, 6:43am

Post #17 of 38 (1949 views)
Shortcut
I am super excited about the cherry season! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2017, 8:04am

Post #18 of 38 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Fashionably late, or just late? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

It's only my 2nd week of Fiesta and I'm already almost missing the party.

Another Orange Juice please! (You'll start to notice a trend...)

Today was so lazy that it made yesterday look productive (which is saying something). No Black Friday shopping for me. I do all my shopping online these days (also, it tends to be personal shopping LOL - yes, I know I'm supposed to be shopping for loved ones! Tongue Don't tell anyone.)

On a somewhat random note, anybody know if we're planning a 15th Anniversary Party for The Two Towers on the LotR movie board? I assume so, but just wanted to inquire.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 25 2017, 8:09am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:11pm

Post #19 of 38 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Crowds make me *twitchy* :o [In reply to] Can't Post

I did drive into town and hoped to stop at Menards (big box diy store), drove through the parking lot, and right out the back entrance. When I saw they were parking on the small empty field next to the filled lot, that was definitely where I DIDN'T want to be!

I've pretty-much already got my Christmas shopping done, so thankfully no panic on not getting to any of the sales.

Thanksgiving was very nice and peaceful with my younger daughter and one of her boys. The other went to Grandma and Grandpa's with his dad. We've found keeping Thanksgiving simple with the divorce about 10 years ago made everyone's holiday less stressful. We all get along, so it works out for everyone. They still take turns with Christmas, and that's when I'm usually with my Baltimore family.

Thanks for taking care of us on this long weekend, Altaira! I hope you have a no-work holiday... and that goes for ALL OF YOU!

*waves fondly*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:15pm

Post #20 of 38 (1929 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Singing Blunt the Knives is fine... but when they start throwing the plates and bowls, I RUN!!!

I hope you have a great weekend :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:19pm

Post #21 of 38 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Food, Family and Friends :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Now this inconvenience of everyone not being available until Sunday seems to work out just fine to me :D Three days of eats... BLISS!

I hope you have a glorious weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:21pm

Post #22 of 38 (1928 views)
Shortcut
What about the parsley? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can almost smell that cooking! What a great time of the year :D

I'm glad you're feeling better, and hope hubby clears up quickly. That aroma should help do the trick :D

Have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:24pm

Post #23 of 38 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Writing again? Good! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

See... give you a couple of days free from work and stuff, and you're right back at it. I'll bet it feels good to make some progress :)

Have a wonderful weekend!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:28pm

Post #24 of 38 (1927 views)
Shortcut
yummmm... strawberried :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I don't like crowds... but I think I could take it better if I'm not trying to get ahold of some of those "special" deals. They have 15 of the most popular items, and people are climbing over each other to get at 'em! *twitch*

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, m'dear! Enjoy the peace and quiet :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2017, 1:33pm

Post #25 of 38 (1929 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* I hear ya! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

There isn't enough good Christmas music to start listening to it this early...

I'm definitely with you on that one! They've had the Christmas stuff out here since the first of November! Just after Halloween.

I hope you've had a nice, quiet weekend so far. LotR Online sounds like fun :D

CHEERS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.