Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Call the show MIDDLE EARTH

Jeffrodo
Bree

Nov 21 2017, 1:05pm

Post #1 of 16 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Call the show MIDDLE EARTH Can't Post

I think naming the series LOTR is confusing, especially if its a prequel. Not knowing the content makes it tough to guess, but I think if the show was simply called Middle Earth it wouldnt be so contained, it could go forward or backward in the timeline with ease.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 21 2017, 1:37pm

Post #2 of 16 (2928 views)
Shortcut
It won't be called LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

I am rather sure it won't be called "The Lord of the Rings". Or if so, only as an over-arching title with a clear sub-title.

I personally would simply call it "Tales from Middle-earth" if it should indeed be some kind of prequel.

It would be different, of course, if it should focus on a specific tale.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

MoreMorgoth
The Shire

Nov 21 2017, 3:11pm

Post #3 of 16 (2898 views)
Shortcut
yes- Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed - the series should simply be called MIDDLE-EARTH as it gives the broadest possible opportunity to include tales from various historical eras of Tolkien's world. To use the name LORD OF THE RINGS in the title would only confuse viewers thinking it is a reboot of the films they are already familiar with.

In fact, TALES FROM MIDDLE EARTH might be nice also.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2017, 3:59pm

Post #4 of 16 (2877 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure that 'The Lord of the Rings' will not be the title. [In reply to] Can't Post

The press releases have only used the title The Lord of the Rings for its name recognition; there is no indication that it was intended to be the name of the series. The term Middle-earth (not Middle Earth) might well appear in the title, though probably not by itself.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 21 2017, 4:32pm

Post #5 of 16 (2866 views)
Shortcut
Probably will be "Middle Earth" [In reply to] Can't Post

I have little confident that the people running this show will know or care about using the correct term.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2017, 5:07pm

Post #6 of 16 (2858 views)
Shortcut
* chuckle * [In reply to] Can't Post

You are quite the cynic today, V. Wink

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 21 2017, 5:33pm

Post #7 of 16 (2844 views)
Shortcut
Better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... than have high expectations and be bitterly disappointed.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 21 2017, 6:06pm

Post #8 of 16 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have no expectations, and I'm both surprised and dissapointed by this TV series announcement, do I win? Wink

I wish I was more excited (or even annoyed) by this TV series announcement, but I don't watch much TV, and there's almost no news to talk about so far (and very sparse source material for the writers to draw on for a LOTR prequel) best I can muster up right now is a vague sense of cautious intrigue...

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 21 2017, 6:22pm

Post #9 of 16 (2832 views)
Shortcut
Cautious intrigue [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds about right to me.

The Hall of Fire

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2017, 7:32pm

Post #10 of 16 (2812 views)
Shortcut
"Before the Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers" [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe "Toller's Tales of Turnips and Tooks".

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Wilros
The Shire

Nov 21 2017, 8:48pm

Post #11 of 16 (2785 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Bezos Bestows the Baggins Bombadil and Butterbur Broadcast. Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2017, 9:25pm

Post #12 of 16 (2772 views)
Shortcut
That's good! [In reply to] Can't Post

We could call it Pyridoxine for short!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Morthoron
Gondor

Nov 22 2017, 3:45am

Post #13 of 16 (2720 views)
Shortcut
If one was looking for honesty, it would be called "Game Lord of the Ring of Thrones" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2017, 11:21pm

Post #14 of 16 (2583 views)
Shortcut
run [In reply to] Can't Post

... like winter is coming...

Thror: Middle Earth Ragnarok...

(I have not seen one episode of GoT, not one. Friends gave me a shirt that says "run like winter is coming" because it has a husky... or wolf... on it... I suspect GoT inspired...)

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

No One in Particular
Rivendell

Nov 25 2017, 12:53am

Post #15 of 16 (2508 views)
Shortcut
Tales of the Lost North Kingdoms [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually seriously like Tales of Middle-earth as a working title.

Other not-so-serious possibilities:

Stories from Brandy Hall
Cooking with Smeagol (usually fish dishes of some kind)
Rumors from Rivendell
Fornost Fables
Gossip of the Grey Havens (You know Cirdan knows a thing or two that he keeps to himself!)

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

Jettorex
Lorien

Nov 27 2017, 4:35pm

Post #16 of 16 (2417 views)
Shortcut
not sexy enough [In reply to] Can't Post

probably be something like Battle of Middle Earth or something with Ring in it.

however, do to name recognition, I get the sneaky feeling they may just call it Lord of the Rings

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.