Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Possible Locations/Matamata Potential
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jlj93byu
Bree

Nov 20 2017, 5:40pm

Post #1 of 27 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Possible Locations/Matamata Potential Can't Post

We've discussed at length that possibility of either mirroring PJ's aesthetic and world, or carving out something entirely new. Even if they do the latter, I can't help but wonder if they wouldn't at least film in Matamata, where there already exists a fully built Hobbiton location. I wonder if they'd consider at least filming there, regardless if they use any other locations previously used.

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 20 2017, 8:12pm

Post #2 of 27 (1831 views)
Shortcut
I doubt Hobbits will play much of a role in the new series. [In reply to] Can't Post

jlj93byu
Bree

Nov 20 2017, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 27 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Depends on their stories [In reply to] Can't Post

It all depends on what stories they decide to tell. If they do indeed involve Aragorn, which seems likely, then they could include aspects of his story where he watched over and protected the Hobbits and Hobbiton.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2017, 8:50pm

Post #4 of 27 (1805 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It all depends on what stories they decide to tell. If they do indeed involve Aragorn, which seems likely, then they could include aspects of his story where he watched over and protected the Hobbits and Hobbiton.

If the series is set earlier in the Third Age, the Shire was not founded until the year 1601, long after Angmar drove the citizens of Cardolan into the Old Forest canonically. Even so, the kingdom did not fade entirely until after the Great Plague of 1636. Hobbits lived in Bree and Bree-land from the year 1300 onward. Some did dwell for a time in eastern Eriador after fleeing Rhovanion in response to the darkening of Mirkwood.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2017, 9:03pm

Post #5 of 27 (1794 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand is Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Iím guessing some are getting tired of my insistence that the production carry over elements of PJís films, but I just donít see how you can go without filming in New Zealand. There is no place on Earth like it, and it IS Middle-earth for the vast majority of fans. I donít know where else you could film that would offer a comparative beautiful landscape.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 20 2017, 9:07pm

Post #6 of 27 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Though I see no reason why NZ would not be considered, you can find [In reply to] Can't Post

landscapes around the world that reflect Middle-earth as well.

squire
Half-elven

Nov 20 2017, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 27 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was shown location photos for a proposed LotR film that came from the west of America [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems to have been impressed.

"Mr Ackerman brought ... some remarkable colour photographs. They have apparently toured America shooting mountain and desert scenes that seem to fit the story." (JRRT letter 202, Sept 1957)

Like others, as much as I admired the parts of New Zealand that worked for the films, there were other parts I rather disliked. No one district can have everything, but Middle-earth is a temperate zone subcontinent. One could shoot it across a wide swath of North America, Europe and Asia, and then in South America, South Africa, and of course Australasia including good old New Zealand.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 20 2017, 10:19pm

Post #8 of 27 (1771 views)
Shortcut
Places like Hungary and the Balkans countries have some great landscapes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly parts of Chile and Argentina and let us not forget the UK itself....or Ireland. There are an abundance of places but cost and convenience are other considerations.

https://www.dreamstime.com/...rvasko-image34195536

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/...ndscape-23033328.jpg

Romania

http://www.card-photo.com/...ge-93-img?format=jpg

http://www.matthewwilliams-ellis.com/...Summer-2018-_011.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 20 2017, 10:23pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 21 2017, 11:01am

Post #9 of 27 (1697 views)
Shortcut
To me too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...New Zealand has the same emotional pull (even though I've never been there) because I love the films and because those landscapes were so integral to the magic. And also because it wasn't Hollywood - that whole 'largest home-movie' attitude is part of what makes the films special.
But the people working on production of the TV films aren't going to care how I feel about it. Where they film will depend on who and where they are in the world (and how much cgi they plan to use). If they're not in New Zealand they'll need to be convinced that the advantages of going there outweigh the cost and time of travelling there. They might. Ultimately, I suppose, it's going to depend on how far the people who are putting up the money for this want to cash in on the popularity of the existing films.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 21 2017, 12:14pm

Post #10 of 27 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Hm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbiton really is the sole location where I would have trouble picturing a much different approach than it was done in the movies.

But since I doubt that the Hobbits will feature much in this series, I see no problem shooting the series elsewhere than New Zealand.

GoT proves that this can work when you have the right budget and depending on what they want to do, they might not even need such highly diverse landscapes as HBO needed for Westeros and Essos.

When it did not look so good for the Hobbit staying in NZ I remember people talking about location scouting going on in Eastern Europe. I am 100% one should be able to find locations for a series that is set in Middle-earth there, maybe mixed with locations in Great Britain or the Alpes.

If NZ turns out to be the best place for them to go - great. But I doubt the series fate will depend on it. It will depend, however, in finding good and atmospheric locations. No doubt about that.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 21 2017, 12:15pm)

Yva
Rivendell

Nov 21 2017, 3:45pm

Post #11 of 27 (1654 views)
Shortcut
Many factors [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a chance they won't need an actual Hobitton location until later on in the series.

But I'd really like them to find new locations, incl. for Hobbiton. I understand NZ symbolizes ME in the minds of many and there's some emotional attachment that comes with it, but I'm 100% sure there are many equally beautiful areas scattered all around the world.

But of course there are other factors, too, such as density of population, incentives, concentration of built-up areas, quality of the services, whether or not the areas are part of protected national parks and the related bureaucracy, or even English speaking crews etc... And it's quite possible NZ simply had the best package.

There are many magnificent areas and sceneries in Eastern Europe and South Eastern Europe, and countries like Georgia and Albania, that are only recently being discovered by travellers. I believe GoT was filmed partly in Croatia. Croatia has some absolutely stunning lakes and rivers but they're mostly inside national parks. And it also needs to be said that the quality of the services and infrastructure can be varying in some countries. By saying this, I mean no disrespect, but what can be seen as an advantage by lone travellers looking for lost pristine worlds can be be issue for large demanding TV productions.

Or what about Canada?

jlj93byu
Bree

Nov 21 2017, 3:53pm

Post #12 of 27 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Many Good Options [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from NZ, there have been some great potential locations mentioned. It seems that Eastern Europe has become more popular in the last few years, and they do have some landscapes comparable to NZ.

I hadn't seen the letter quoted from the 1960s where the western US was floated as a potential. There are certainly a wide variety of landscapes out here. I live in the western U.S., and even in my own state, I have often commented on what a diversity of landscapes are within a 5 hour drive all around. From deserts to high alpine forests and everything in between. Of course, one reason for the increasing popularity of Europe is tax breaks and other financial incentives, so I highly doubt the U.S. will be used at all for financial reasons.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 21 2017, 4:43pm

Post #13 of 27 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Dream locations [In reply to] Can't Post

If you could choose where a middle earth series would be filmed regardless of logistics costs etc and assuming the story location is the same as lotr plus then I would always opt for uk and Europe,(plus morocco) importantly It's geographically correct story wise, it has enough locations to cover everything and it has the best crews, the good infrastructure for filming and I'll be able to try and get work on it 😁

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Nov 21 2017, 4:44pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2017, 5:13pm

Post #14 of 27 (1623 views)
Shortcut
I'd go with China [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically Anhui, Hebei, and Xinjiang provinces.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.Ē

Eldorion
Gondor

Nov 21 2017, 7:03pm

Post #15 of 27 (1599 views)
Shortcut
I've said for a long time that the Great Hungarian Plain would make a good Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure how feasible filming there would be though.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

jlj93byu
Bree

Nov 21 2017, 8:57pm

Post #16 of 27 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous Scenery [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Specifically Anhui, Hebei, and Xinjiang provinces.

China really does have a very diverse and gorgeous landscape. I remember the BBC series "Wild China" that highlighted much of it. Of course, I imagine it's probably not the easiest place to film at due to laws, regulations, etc.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2017, 10:03pm

Post #17 of 27 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Nah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they should just film in a studio in Hollywood, and use lots of green screens and CGI everything in. Then people can long for the on-location shots and fabulous sets that they complained were missing from "The Hobbit" movies - suddenly TH will look so much better!Tongue

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2017, 11:34am

Post #18 of 27 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Itís funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Then people can long for the on-location shots and fabulous sets that they complained were missing from "The Hobbit" movies - suddenly TH will look so much better!Tongue

In this vein, I do wonder if I will start to look more fondly on aspects of the Hobbit films that I was underwhelmed by simply because Iíll begin to get more protective of PJís filmverse. Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 22 2017, 5:23pm

Post #19 of 27 (1496 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if one of the drawbacks to Europe is the sheer presence of so much [In reply to] Can't Post

human building etc. You can digitally remove things...towns, roads, farms, etc. but it adds to the production cost.

There are great, undiscovered areas to use from Europe, especially the Balkans / Eastern Europe.

The problem with UK / Ireland is that so much as been seen before...but, there are views I am sure that have less history on film.

A TV series will critically require low cost, available assets nearby, housing /accomodations etc. It rules out some of the more far flung destinations other than passing shots.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 22 2017, 5:29pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 22 2017, 6:48pm

Post #20 of 27 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Also airplanes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even the NZ productions had problems with airplanes roaring overhead and drowning out dialogue, thus increasing post-production costs by calling back actors for ADR.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.Ē

Ataahua
Superuser

Nov 23 2017, 1:00am

Post #21 of 27 (1454 views)
Shortcut
The reason [In reply to] Can't Post

that The Last Samurai was filmed in Taranaki, New Zealand was because they found a valley for the village location where they could film 360 degrees, in long-shot, and not see anything man-made (and no airplanes overhead either). Yet it was close to a state highway.

Saving money on not having to 'scrub out' fences or buildings was a benefit that the producers mentioned at the time.

That said, I'm not wedded to the idea that the TV show should be filmed here. There are plenty of places in the world where it'd be doable - even The Hobbit was tipped to be filmed in Croatia at one point.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 23 2017, 1:04am

Post #22 of 27 (1453 views)
Shortcut
I hear North Korea as very few obstructions (other than being run by an evil dictator)! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.earthnutshell.com/...-korea-mtkumgang.jpg

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/...a9/mount-kumgang.jpg

But these may spoil the view
http://a.abcnews.com/...addatz4_16x9_992.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 23 2017, 1:08am)

Wilros
The Shire

Nov 23 2017, 5:17pm

Post #23 of 27 (1397 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 25 2017, 1:26am

Post #24 of 27 (1339 views)
Shortcut
In my probably biased opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Canada has it all location wise, but also the infrastructure and talent to pull off a series set in Middle-earth.

But why not somewhere in the British Isles, or places Tolkien is known to have been inspired by? Or are they all gone?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 25 2017, 1:29am

Post #25 of 27 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the northern states especially, [In reply to] Can't Post

Michigan, New York, Washington, Oregon...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.