Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the US Thanksgiving reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 21 2017, 4:26pm

Post #1 of 15 (1712 views)
Shortcut
It's the US Thanksgiving reading thread! Can't Post

A very happy holiday week to our American TORnsibs! May your pumpkin pie be forever heaped with whipped cream Smile

And a very happy week in general to our TORnsibs worldwide

I'm now listening to When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson. I've seen the dramatizations of several of the mysteries in her series featuring Scottish detective Jackson Brodie but haven't read any of the books, so thought I'd give this a listen.

Hmm. Except for a horrific murder in the first scene, almost two entire CDs (out of 10) have been devoted to lengthy, lingering explorations of the backstories and psyches of the main characters. Every now and then a tiny bit of business indicates that this will eventually turn into a mystery novel, but so far... Well, the prose is top-notch and the reader is doing the contrasting English, Irish, and Scottish accents very nicely, but I'm growing impatient to see how (if!) all this detail plays out.

I'm wondering now if the dramatizations I've seen (although not of this particular book) were comprehensive re-writes which cut to the chase, so to speak. Or is this book not indicative of the series?

On paper I just finished up the latest Smithsonian. This month's theme is "The Coming Pandemic". The gist is that never mind Ebola or Zika or some similar disease, it's influenza that has the potential to wipe out a good chunk of humanity. Right now a new strain of bird flu is arising in China....

Well, this brings me back to the title of Atkinson's books. When will there be GOOD news?!?

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 21 2017, 6:10pm

Post #2 of 15 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Racing through a re-read of Dark Sky [In reply to] Can't Post

so that I can pick up Ufthak's newly released third book Dark Deeds. (Well, 'racing' isn't quite right as it's hard to speed-read something as engrosing as this, but I'm giving it a good whirl.)

The rebellion is full swing, the crew is split between the rebels and the law, and you just know their nemesis is going to be a massive obstacle at some point... what will the crew of the Keiko do? (Of course I know, but it's still exciting to get caught up in the story again.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 21 2017, 6:12pm)

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 21 2017, 8:41pm

Post #3 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn [In reply to] Can't Post

Just finished it and I'm about to start The Well of Ascension. Pretty good so far!

Also reread Carlos Luiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind, an old favorite, after finding a copy at my library's used book sales for $1. My last copy I lent to a friend, who gave it away. . . !

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 21 2017, 9:52pm

Post #4 of 15 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Some friend! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've stopped lending out books as they always come back months later and damaged. If I think someone will really enjoy a book, I'll buy them a copy.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2017, 2:59am

Post #5 of 15 (1628 views)
Shortcut
I have to finish my current book, [In reply to] Can't Post

then I get to read Dark Deeds! I got my brother interested too, so he will start this coming weekend. Can't wait.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2017, 10:30am

Post #6 of 15 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth: From Script to Screen [In reply to] Can't Post

I trust I'm not the only one? Wink

Holy moly, this IS a book. It's enormous. It's beautiful. It's everything I could want it to be.

And it couldn't come at a better time. I've been somewhat...grouchy...over the Amazon TV show news. Crazy But having this book in my hands, as a pure celebration of PJ & Co.'s cinematic achievement, makes me feel downright jubilant. Smile

Honestly, no fan of PJ's films can do without this tome. If you haven't bought it (or aren't, at least, planning on getting it for the Holidays), you need to correct that ASAP.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 23 2017, 10:32am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 23 2017, 1:08pm

Post #7 of 15 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is one of the best LotR/Hobbit-related books I've seen. It draws you in and reminds you of how incredible these films and the whole process ARE :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2017, 2:27pm

Post #8 of 15 (1599 views)
Shortcut
I think I'll be getting it as a Christmas present... [In reply to] Can't Post

...from Santa, of course...Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 23 2017, 3:27pm

Post #9 of 15 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Finished "Delicious!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Ended up enjoying it very much, although the writer relies HEAVILY on coincidence to move her plot forward, and everyone is always grabbing the heroine's hand and dragging her here and there. I learned a lot about cooking, which leads me to:

SALT FAT HEAT ACID - not exactly a cookbook, but an entertaining explanation of WHY food tastes so much better if you have all these ingredients. No wonder my risotto is elevated by a bit of lemon juice! A great gift for the cooks in the family, if you're thinking about them now.

Also read "Photo Finish," a Ngaio Marsh mystery I hadn't encountered before (what a joy to find another book by a beloved author!). Set in New Zealand and lots of fun. I did not guess the murderer.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2017, 11:29pm

Post #10 of 15 (1585 views)
Shortcut
uhhhhhhhhhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading local newspaper called the Bay Journal, about the issues of the Chesapeake Bay (N America's largest estuary)...

saw some movies...

oh yeah, edited a couple of my own tales...

(shameless promotion...)

https://www.inkitt.com/teanna

Merrow's Cap and Manannan's Horses... third part in the works...

Can't seem to read other people's fiction when I am writing it. Do read non-fiction, esp if nature based.

A couple favorites:

Last Child in the Woods: Richard Louv ... a look at our nature deficit disordered kids and how to cure it (actually a fun uplifting kind of read).

Mind of the Raven: Bernd Heinrich... you'll never look at corvids the same way again after reading this awesome insight into the real (brilliant, hilarious, playful, wise) nature of ravens.

Orca: the Whale Called Killer: Eric Hoyt... is an old book but fabulous. I thought of it after seeing that next week's Nature program on PBS is about killer whales ("swordwhale").

Sorely tempted to read the Poldark series because the show just kind of sucks you in... but egad, they go on forever!

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mżl 'lain nallol, I sŻl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2017, 12:09am

Post #11 of 15 (1587 views)
Shortcut
I've only just begun reading it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I love that so many interviews were conducted for these films that, so far at least, there doesn't seem to be any repeat of things I heard in the Appendices. This book is almost like the box set documentary Peter wanted to give us (which WB nixed), just in book form.

One thing I read that blew me away (and I don't think I ever heard it before) was that they were checking out the Paint Factory Complex at Stone Street for their Studio, and discovered (long before anyone knew they were doing the films) a dog-eared copy of LotR laying on the table in the old tea room. Fran then turned to Peter and said "We have to buy this place." That complex, of course, became Stone Street Studios.

I mean...just wow. The sheer amount of things that seem to have been guided by fate's hand on that production is astounding. I never cease to be amazed by it.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2017, 3:02am

Post #12 of 15 (1577 views)
Shortcut
That moment. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I recall, there was one table left in the room, and there was a paperback lying open but face-down on the table. They walked over, looked at it without touching, realized what it was...

What a push into a "leap of faith"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2017, 1:17pm

Post #13 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut
*goosebumps* [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when I first heard Peter talk about this. I wish they said what page the open book was on :D IIRC, they didn't think they had the money to buy the factory, but somehow got what they needed :) Hence... so did we!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 25 2017, 6:23pm

Post #14 of 15 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Just finished Dark Deeds - and holy heck! [In reply to] Can't Post

The series gets better and better with each book, and Mike isn't one to rest on what worked in the previous stories! A complex plot that's driven by rich characters (rather than the other way around) made this a hard-to-put-down read. Today, I intend to do the gardening that I missed out on yesterday due to my nose being in this book!

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 28 2017, 2:46am

Post #15 of 15 (1480 views)
Shortcut
Dark Deeds [In reply to] Can't Post

This one was a lot more fun to me than Dark Sky, but it was still plenty noir. The plot twists kept me engrossed, and, holy heck, I did not see that coming at the end! Shocked

I want the next book right now, but I know we need to be patient so he can write it as well as the first three. Don't rush it, man, we know that quality takes time. Are you writing now? Why not?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.