Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: "Come and dream with me..."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2017, 3:00am

Post #1 of 17 (1076 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: "Come and dream with me..." Can't Post

"If you've ever wondered where your dreams come from, you look around. This is where they're made." - George Melies, "Hugo"

Hullo all!

Beginning this week, I will be taking over the Watching Thread from our dear sevilodorf. I want to thank her and swordwhale, who offered her services first, but graciously allowed an overly enthusiastic yours truly to take the wheel. Smile

So without further gilding the lily and no more ado... (I hope somebody gets that reference Tongue)

...what are YOU watching this week?

-----------------------------

Blade Runner 2049
I fit in a fourth and final viewing - not this week, but last week (forgot about in the last thread). I had to drive a little bit further to the next closest theater, as it had already left the one by my house. I am happy I went. It's been years since I watched a film in theaters more than twice, but I have not been able to get 2049 out of my head. I never loved the original to the degree that many sci-fi fans do, but I do not doubt that I will long hold this follow-up as a true cinematic treasure. I'm not going to deny that I've actually spent the past couple weeks adding buying up some 2049 collectibles (Making-of book, limited edition soundtrack, K & Deckard Action Figures, Limited Edition Empire Magazine Issue). Blush

Lucifer
I've been binge watching this FOX show the past couple weeks, which I've been wanting to do since Battlestar Galactica's Tricia Helfer joined the cast last season. I did NOT expect, however, to become so totally addicted to the story and characters. The show has developed a fantastic ensemble and is a brilliant mixture of intrigue, emotion and hilarity.

Outlander
It's hard to imagine that just a couple years ago, I knew nothing of Claire and Jamie Fraser. But a subscription to Starz in 2014 led to one of the most joyous discoveries in my television viewing. One of the things I really love about this show, especially this season, is that you never know where you're going to end up. The show is not currently the same show it was at the beginning of the season mere weeks ago, and I'll wager the same will be true when it returns next year. Loving the whole season, but the highlight so far has to have been Episode 6 "A. Malcolm" (because I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, and I don't care who knows it Heart).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 21 2017, 8:02pm

Post #2 of 17 (966 views)
Shortcut
Wind River; The Florida Project [In reply to] Can't Post

Wind River: Not a film for the faint of heart. Powerful, distressing, violent, beautiful, compelling, and important. I saw it with a friend whose niece wrote her thesis on how no one tracks it when Native American women go missing. Natives in general fall into the cracks when it comes to the legal process in this country; for Native women, those cracks are often abysses. Beautifully acted by all concerned. Jeremy Renner burns up the screen, as usual, as the Fish & Wildlife hunter who turns hunter of evil men, Elizabeth Olson is the well-meaning neophyte FBI agent who gets a powerful lesson in the reality of Native life, while Gil Birmingham, Graham Greene, and Tantoo Cardinal lead the roster of Native actors.

The Florida Project: saw it with the same friend. We thought from the trailer that it was a comedy; there are funny moments, but this is another powerful and distressing film. My sister used to work in Child Protective Services and I'm not sure if I'll recommend it to her, because it's about her clients: the children of parents who are caught up in a life that is harming the children. Willem Defoe is the manager of the low-rent hotel that is home for these families at the bottom of society; he has seen it all, knows exactly what's going on, and does his futile best to protect each of his renters from making the inevitable mistakes in judgment that will land them in trouble. Again, excellent acting and a film you won't stop thinking about, but not a choice for when you just want to relax.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2017, 10:30pm

Post #3 of 17 (952 views)
Shortcut
LUV Outlander, also "Stranger Things" [In reply to] Can't Post

But I haven't been able to watch all of ST yet. Really loving the weirdness of the show, the '80s references, and really hope that those adorable kids don't get hurt! Some of the adults though ....

Also watched most of "Poldark," one more episode to go, which is better than I've done with "Berlin Station." I'm pretty behind on that one, 3 or 4 episodes, but that's what happens when you move into a new house. Still trying to figure out what goes where, find things and all that - what a PAIN! But I'm totally loving my new house, and can hardly wait 'til spring when I can let out my inner Hobbit and do some gardening!!!

I'll be watching two movies in the theater this week: "Justice League" tonight, and then "Murder on the Orient Express" Friday with my daughter. Other than that it will be back to setting up the house, and letting out my inner Dwarf/Hobbit/Dwobbit(?) for some Thanksgiving Day cookingCool

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2017, 10:32pm

Post #4 of 17 (951 views)
Shortcut
Would like to see "Wind River" [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look like a pretty interesting movie, but looks like I'll have to catch it on Netflix. Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch becoming FBI agents to solve a murder - how can I resist?

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2017, 4:30am

Post #5 of 17 (943 views)
Shortcut
Mostly non-spoilery review of Justice League [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I just got back from seeing it, and I'd probably give it a 7 out of 10. It was a pretty good movie overall. I didn't think the story was incoherent or non-existent, but I'd say it moved a little too fast. Jeremy Irons was almost as under-utilized in this one as he was in BvS, which is unfortunate (but I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank). We got to see more Amazon fighting, which is cool. Unfortunately the low point was probably the villain, who in addition to having no real purpose beyond destroying the planet also was some of the worst CGI I've seen in ages. Seriously, it reminded me of the 1980's version of "Clash of the Titans." Azog looked way better, LOL!

The movie also introduced three new superheroes. Now, I love Jason Momoa, but I think he can only play one character. Basically he played Ronan Dex from "Stargate Atlantis" (inside joke?), only with green contacts that made his eyes look weird. Legolas had better contacts, seriously! The high point was definitely Ezra Miller, who carried most of the comic-relief load, and carried it quite well. He represents all the geeky fanboys (and girls) who went to see the movie in the first place. Ray Fisher didn't have much to work with - kind of like a moody, broody Batman without the backstory that makes you care. Guess I'll have to wait for the standalone Cyborg movie to find out why.

One other thing: there is a mid-credits scene that is definitely worth staying for, and an end-of-credits scene that maybe isn't. Just FYI. I'll post my review of "Murder on the Orient Express" later this week, probably Friday.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2017, 1:45pm

Post #6 of 17 (933 views)
Shortcut
Final season of Fixer Upper [In reply to] Can't Post

Fixer Upper. It's a renovation show on HGTV here in the States that is hosted by a husband/wife team, Chip and Joanna Gaines with some appearances by their 4 young children.

It's a very popular show that started its 5th and final season last night (November 21). They announced this would be their last season about a month ago. Not because of any strife or ratings, but to spend normal, quiet time as a family.

If you ever want to just have fun and be distracted by day-to-day drama... grab a warm drink and settle in to relax and enjoy the antics of a wonderful couple doing what they do best... taking run-down homes in the Waco, Texas area and fixing them up for very appreciative families. Chip (a natural comic) is the realtor/builder and Joanna is the planner/decorator... mostly of a rustic, comfort-driven theme.

"It's DEMO DAY!!!"

The Gaines started with their home, Magnolia Farms. They have created a small empire in Waco that has expanded to online sales, a bed and breakfast, and soon will include a restaurant. They've done so much for area business and created jobs for locals. I have family who has actually gone to Magnolia and visited the Silos.

Hopefully Fixer Upper will be back one day (they're not ruling it out). But for now, family first.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 22 2017, 1:46pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 25 2017, 10:09pm

Post #7 of 17 (900 views)
Shortcut
I admire them [In reply to] Can't Post

for putting family first and not letting their success dictate their lives.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2017, 7:48pm

Post #8 of 17 (873 views)
Shortcut
They've just added a bakery [In reply to] Can't Post

At the Magnolia location ("The Silos") they bought the 1890s brick floral shop next door and Joanna has made it into a bakery. She's creating/baking the cupcakes, cookies, and other pastries herself. BUT I'm sure there will be several more locals put to work ;)

Magnolia Silos Baking Co.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2017, 8:13pm

Post #9 of 17 (870 views)
Shortcut
I definitely want to see 'Wind River'. [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to see it in theaters, but unfortunately I went through a bit of a movie theater going dry spell earlier this year (I made up for it with my 4 viewings of Blade Runner LOL Tongue). I'll probably give it a rental in the next week. It looks so good. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2017, 11:26pm

Post #10 of 17 (862 views)
Shortcut
Shiplap! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you took a drink of your favorite alcoholic libation whenever shiplap is mentioned, you'd be quite tipsy by the end. Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2017, 12:22pm

Post #11 of 17 (839 views)
Shortcut
omg! So True!!! *high five* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 27 2017, 6:53pm

Post #12 of 17 (818 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Hanayamata (12 episode 2014 Anime series). An awkward Japanese high-school girl is introduced to the world of Yosakoi folk dancing by, ironically, a blonde, blue-eyed (and rather fey) American exchange student. Mild teen drama as the two try to organize a Yosakoi Club at their school, with problems getting members, an advisor, and a place to practice for the big Yosakoi festival. Rather contrived but some genuinely touching moments. No overt fan service. Art style is occasionally intentionally a bit blurry. Binge-watched this with Wifey, who absolutely loved it. (She’s a semi-professional dancer herself.) Afterwards we searched out and watched YouTube videos of various Yosakoi festivals. Again, she loved them.
-Recommended.

My Little Pony-Friendship is Magic. (2010 – present animated series.) Wifey binged-watched this over the holiday, with me wandering in and out between cooking and housework. True, basically a Hasbro toy commercial, but still, good characters and storytelling. Nice arcs. Stylized animation works well. Lots of easter eggs and in-jokes for fans.
-Recommended.

Battle for Sevastopol. (2015) A Russian-Ukrainian film biography of Lyudmila Pavlichenko (aka “Lady Death”) a Soviet Ukranian sniper who had 308 confirmed kills during World War II. Mostly accurate except for some made-up romantic subplots. (Pavlichenko was already a wife and mother when she first volunteered.) An authentic look at PTSS as after being wounded three times and losing beloved friends Pavlichenko becomes cruel and sadistic towards her targets, and suicidal regarding her own safety. Some very impressive cgi including the massive evacuations of the Crimea and later Sevastopol. After her fourth wounding Pavlichenko is pulled from combat and sent on a propaganda tour of the United States to encourage the opening of a second front in Europe. Pavlichenko’s harrowing military exploits are told as flashbacks during that 1942 tour. The lady sniper forms a lifelong close bond with Eleanor Roosevelt as the First Lady tries to help the American press dubbed “Lady Death” walk the tightrope between the demands of her Soviet handlers that she present herself as a soldier, and the criticism of the American press that she needs to present herself as more feminine. Actress Yulia Peresild is riveting as she shows how Pavlichenko is transformed by her experiences. Note that if anything the film glosses over many of the heroic and extraordinary deeds of Pavlichenko. (BTW, the joint Russian-Ukrainian production was released just barely ahead of the recent unpleasantness between the two countries.)
-Very highly recommended if you don’t mind subtitles.

Miss Granny. (2014). Re-watched an old favorite. A big box office success and critical hit in South Korea. Just before a 72 year old lady is sent to a nursing home by her family she is mysteriously transformed into a 20 year-old. Does she follow the dreams of her youth or return to her family? Much of the comedy is seeing a young woman walk, talk, and scold like an elderly lady. Great acting by Shim Eun-kyung. Enjoyed her tribute to Audrey Hepburn.
-Highly recommended if you don’t mind subtitles.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2017, 4:32am

Post #13 of 17 (796 views)
Shortcut
Somewhat non-spoilery review of "Murder on the Orient Express" [In reply to] Can't Post

I took my hubby and 21-yr-old to see this last Friday. Now, I've seen the 1974 version with Lauren Bacall, but neither the hubby or daughter have seen any version. We all enjoyed it quite well, and I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10. Part of the reason is the beautiful panoramic vistas, and part of the reason is the costumes and set design on the train. But the acting was also really good. Michelle Pfeiffer took Bacall's role, but instead of doing Lauren's dry sarcasm, she played a very sympathetic woman. And Johnny Depp played a very believable sleezeball. If you've seen a previous version then there's no surprises here, and in fact my hubby figured it out about halfway through. But he still enjoyed it, and thinks he might buy it. My daughter would like to watch it again, just to make sure she didn't miss any details. My only quibbles with the movie (and they are small) are 1. Periot's mustache; and 2. I really feel that Daisy Ridley was too young to play her character. Not that she can't act, she did fine in that respect - just too young to be playing such an experienced Governess. So in this case I'd say ignore the critics, most of whom seem to dismiss this version because "it's been done before." My response is "Yeah, so?"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2017, 5:11am

Post #14 of 17 (797 views)
Shortcut
Folks, let's keep this thread going another week: "I wish the Ring had never come to me..." (Outlander Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

"... I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."

Yes, indeed, predictable as it may be on a Tolkien forum, I did watch The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) this evening. I am constantly amazed at this film's emotional power (all three films really, but this one most especially). I never cease to feel my heart racing, notice my eyes welling up with tears or notice that I'm holding my breath for an extended period of time while watching.

Moments like the above exchange between Frodo and Gandalf just send me back in time to that theater in December 2001, and I find that I'm a teenager again. It's unfathomable to me that it's been 16 years, but time marches on nonetheless.

Outlander: This week's Outlander began with a Claire washing up on the shore of a beach, and I'm not sure any movie or tv show has made me feel like I'm actually tasting the salt water before. I also didn't realize until I later read a recap of the episode that the first half passed by with no dialogue except a very small amount of voice-over. It was a tour-de-force for actress Caitriona Balfe, and I did not envy Claire her trek across the island. Her encounter with the Father Fogden was...interesting Laugh. I'm very relieved that things came to a happy close by the end of the episode (though this show once again proved... embarrassing... to watch with family LOL Tongue).

The Gifted: Continuing to catch up on FOX's X-Men show, "The Gifted" (up to Episode 6). I'm enjoying this mightily. It's not perfect, but I find it really entertaining. I'm really enjoying a lot of the character dynamics. The series is confirming that I really enjoy X-Men/Mutant stories more than the rest of the Marvel Universe.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 28 2017, 5:12am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 1 2017, 11:54pm

Post #15 of 17 (691 views)
Shortcut
Batman Ninja Trailers [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been looking at the trailers for the Batman Ninja anime movie (coming in 2018). It looks like a wild ride!

English-subtitled Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVTKEc-mu8

New York Comic Con Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF031DwMffQ

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 1 2017, 11:56pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 2 2017, 5:43pm

Post #16 of 17 (663 views)
Shortcut
Season 2 of Glitch on Netflix; Bosch on Amazon Prime [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed season 1 of Glitch that seems to be a new genre: dead people coming back to life (and not as zombies). I've seen various other shows like it. In this one, episode 1, they literally come out of their graves, a dirty mess.

What made season 1 interesting was 1) learning who they were, 2) wondering how they came back to life, and 3) the suspense of how a cop in this little Australian town would keep it all quiet. Oh, and 4) seeing what life is like in a little Australian town.

But several episodes into season 2, I gave up. I'm not sure there's much story to keep things moving, and I've learned enough about the characters that I don't want endless back flashes on them (that ruined Lost for me long ago; it can be overdone and detract from the present).

Simultaneously I've been watching "Bosch" on Amazon because I wanted something similar to "Luther," and this was the recommendation from relatives. It's no "Luther," but it's okay as a cop show--a very standard one.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 5 2017, 12:03am

Post #17 of 17 (616 views)
Shortcut
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets [In reply to] Can't Post

I rented "Valerian" on Amazon because it was directed by Luc Besson who also made "The Fifth Element." I really like the latter, even though it's very quirky--at least the characters are likeable. But I disliked the characters in Valerian from the start and kept hoping I'd like them later but never did, and I even started hoping they'd get killed off in some twist. The plot was high-concept as a foundation, but the plot that carried you from scene to scene was random and gratuitous--no, I didn't like it, and fast-forwarded through it just to see the end. I still like "The Fifth Element," and there are similarities between the two movies, but "Valerian" wasn't the step up I'd hope it would be.

On the plus side, "Star Wars: Rogue One" is on Netflix, so I can re-watch the parts I like. I was glad I originally saw it the theater--many grand vistas that were great on the big screen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.