Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
The type of series

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2017, 11:47pm

Post #1 of 9 (1584 views)
Shortcut
The type of series Can't Post

I actually wonder what type of series we are talking about here. Is it a 30 week series of half an hour to one hour programs with the possibility of other series following? Might have to be to include everything in the books and some of the material which was left out in the movies. Or is it a series of 4 episodes of say an hour or even two hours. It does make a difference!

Eldorion
Gondor

Nov 20 2017, 12:42am

Post #2 of 9 (1561 views)
Shortcut
I suspect it will be similar to other current "prestige" dramas [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is to say 10-15 roughly hour long episodes per season. The first two seasons of Amazon's The Man in the High Castle had 10 episodes each. Due to the budget involved I'd expect the new Middle-earth series to be towards the lower end of that range too.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Nov 20 2017, 12:43am)

squire
Half-elven

Nov 20 2017, 2:41am

Post #3 of 9 (1538 views)
Shortcut
As far as we know, they won't be doing "the book" - Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very unclear what they are doing, but the emphasis in the press release was the idea of spin-offs and additional stories that draw on the central world history and events of the War of the Ring.

Most of us have been assuming that this means the small backstories provided in the LotR Appendices, enlarged and expanded as needed by a corps of writers.

So the structure is anyone's guess. Could the "Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" be done in four 1-hour segments? Yes. Could it be done as a full season of 15 1-hour shows? Again, yes. After all, the text is only 4000 words, with less than five minutes worth of quoted dialogue provided by the author. Four hours or fifteen hours, it will be up to the show's writers to invent whatever amount of drama "based on the works of J. R. R. Tolkien" that the producers decide the market and budget will bear.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2017, 2:57am

Post #4 of 9 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's tale as multi-season show? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So the structure is anyone's guess. Could the "Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" be done in four 1-hour segments? Yes. Could it be done as a full season of 15 1-hour shows? Again, yes. After all, the text is only 4000 words, with less than five minutes worth of quoted dialogue provided by the author. Four hours or fifteen hours, it will be up to the show's writers to invent whatever amount of drama "based on the works of J. R. R. Tolkien" that the producers decide the market and budget will bear.

On the other hand, the story of Aragorn spans 200 years, 70 years just from his birth to the year of Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday. If the series essentially starts with Aragorn's twentieth birthday then it could cover 29 years just to reach his betrothal to Arwen.

A series about the last days of Arthedain might actually cover a narrower span of time than a show focused on Aragorn.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 20 2017, 3:55am

Post #5 of 9 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Not sure that's what was said [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's very unclear what they are doing, but the emphasis in the press release was the idea of spin-offs and additional stories that draw on the central world history and events of the War of the Ring.

Actually it said nothing of the sort. It simply said events prior to the fellowship of the ring. That's the only information we have to go on regarding story.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2017, 6:00pm

Post #6 of 9 (1409 views)
Shortcut
number of episodes [In reply to] Can't Post

A lower number of a better quality would be fine...

Sherlock anyone? There's a good example.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 20 2017, 6:03pm

Post #7 of 9 (1409 views)
Shortcut
Probably... [In reply to] Can't Post

10-14 episodes with a season arc. The first few episodes set up the arc, the last few lead up to the final resolution or a game-changing cliff-hanger. The arc might be anything from The Fall of Gondolin to Aragorn and Legolas helping Elladan and Elrohir avenge Celebrian's wounding.

The first and last episodes will probably be two hour specials with the intervening episodes one hour. If Amazon has trouble keeping up with the shooting schedule then one or more hours may be clip shows, or "cheaters", made up of scenes from previous episodes connected by minimal framing scenes. (For example Aragorn, relating "our story so far" in the setting of The Prancing Pony.)

Or not.

I'm assuming the expense of an anthology-type M-e show would be prohibitive, but I've been wrong before.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 20 2017, 6:09pm

Post #8 of 9 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Probably similar to Vikings in season length..,..just a guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

InTheChair
Lorien

Nov 20 2017, 9:31pm

Post #9 of 9 (1343 views)
Shortcut
I think we'll get just as much as we can take, or more. [In reply to] Can't Post

Realistically I think we have to expect them to franchise Middle Earth. Think Star Wars, think Marvel, think GoT and so on. They will continue to produce hour long episodes on a regular schedule as long as the audience is there to play ball. Open ended season endings, and if the clamour for more is loud enough they will produce another season, or perhaps a spin-off series. Or both.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.