Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
You think they would hire Sir Ian Mckellen as Gandalf, again?

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 17 2017, 12:51pm

Post #1 of 23 (4236 views)
Shortcut
You think they would hire Sir Ian Mckellen as Gandalf, again? Can't Post

What do you boys and girls think?

He could be in it since it is probably not going to be LOTR as we know it but a spin-off/Prequal. Gandalf could have a side roll in a for example Young Aragorn series.

So the question is: Would you like or think Ian Mckellen could reprise the role of Gandalf?

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuivičnen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 17 2017, 1:42pm

Post #2 of 23 (4159 views)
Shortcut
I do not believe they will... [In reply to] Can't Post

use any of the original cast. (Not unless they accept reduced pay. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 17 2017, 1:44pm

Post #3 of 23 (4157 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

People.need.to start.getting real, this is something different and new. Move on. People got far too obsessed with the films and forgot what the books looked like

I think there's going.to be some very confused and upset ringers when Orlando bloom doesn't show up and dwarves don't make stupid jokes every 5 seconds

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 17 2017, 2:08pm

Post #4 of 23 (4150 views)
Shortcut
I doubt McKellen would want to. [In reply to] Can't Post

And again, I am 100% for a clean slate for the makers by now.

I also assume that it will not be too easy for the makers of this series to hire people such as McKellen - money-wise.

I think hiring the same artists, VFX studios, actors and composer should all be avoided. Even shooting in New Zealand. They would never step out of the shadow of the movies if they are considered to be the same canon.

I am sure a new vision based on the books and separated from PJ's movieverse will have much higher chances of success.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 17 2017, 2:12pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2017, 2:16pm

Post #5 of 23 (4144 views)
Shortcut
Do I think he could? Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's made the role his own in two film trilogies - clearly he could do it. For me he's as close to the Gandalf in my head - the one I see when I read the books - as any actor could be. I would/will find it hard to see anyone else play Gandalf.
But we're talking now about something new - new writers, producers, director. I think it's far more likely they'll want the TV series to have a completely different look and feel - and we know so little about that - we don't even know if Gandalf's in it.
Would I like it? Of course, yes, a part of me would love to step into that magical Middle-earth created for the films again and find the old team reassembled, still creating wonders as they have before. But I'm not expecting it. The most I hope for is that the people involved in all aspects of the production really care for the books and background material and are sensitive to what doesn and doesn't feel like Tolkien.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 17 2017, 3:35pm

Post #6 of 23 (4117 views)
Shortcut
You are talking pretty significant budgets here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And again, I am 100% for a clean slate for the makers by now.

I also assume that it will not be too easy for the makers of this series to hire people such as McKellen - money-wise.

I think hiring the same artists, VFX studios, actors and composer should all be avoided. Even shooting in New Zealand. They would never step out of the shadow of the movies if they are considered to be the same canon.

I am sure a new vision based on the books and separated from PJ's movieverse will have much higher chances of success.

If the rumours are to be believed your talking very significant budgets here, $1 billion across the entire shows run. I suspect that would be more than enough to hire McKellan again and indeed the likes of Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving.

For me the key to making this something that stands up on its own isn't going to be intentional distancing it from Jacksons films but rather telling a story that's interesting enough to so.

That's why I tend to think any "filling in the gaps" kind of story showing events close to LOTR and the Hobbit time wise is probably not a great idea. something like say the Angmar conflict or even moreso the grand events of the second age are I think the best bet for success.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 17 2017, 3:35pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 17 2017, 3:44pm

Post #7 of 23 (4108 views)
Shortcut
Book Vs film [In reply to] Can't Post

But even though McKellen was fantastic and looked spot on ,acted.superbly and probably deserved an Oscar,. Gandalf in the book is quite different . So that's why we need fresh blood.

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 17 2017, 3:59pm

Post #8 of 23 (4103 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah sure, i can see that it would feel fresh with new casts and so on.

But as i feel right now i couldn't feel the LOTR-feeling without Howard Shores amazing and breathtaking music in the background.

Wouldn't THAT be a option then?

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuivičnen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2017, 5:31pm

Post #9 of 23 (4079 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf in the books has eyebrows that project.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... beyond the brim of his hat, but I confess I'd always dismissed that as exaggeration, finding it impossible to imagine. In character I don't think Gandalf is so very different from book to film and, whether you accept it or not, I had imagined him to be very like the character Ian McKellen portrayed in the film decades before the films were even thought of. He felt right to me.

I don't need fresh blood - I'm not a vampire! I'm more than happy with the books I've loved from childhood and with Peter Jackson's films (and with the BBC Lord of the Rings and the unabridged audio, and Nicol Williamson's Hobbit reading and so on). But as this new TV series is being made, irrespective of whether I need it or not, I fully accept that a new creative team will want to put their own stamp on it. That's in the natural order of things. And whether the final product seems good or not to me will depend ultimately on how well it captures what I see and feel when I read Tolkien.

that I have never seen:

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2017, 8:01pm

Post #10 of 23 (4049 views)
Shortcut
I would prefer a fresh slate [In reply to] Can't Post

And in terms of expectations (separate from preferences) ... I wouldn't be surprised to see a few cameo appearances by LOTR actors (or maybe even more than cameos, like how Ian Holm went from voicing Frodo in the 1981 radio adaptation to playing Bilbo in the films), but I don't expect to see any major roles cast with the same actors from the PJ films.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2017, 11:23pm

Post #11 of 23 (4015 views)
Shortcut
On a practical level.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the actors will all be quite a bit older than their film selves, and we don't know how long it will be before this thing gets off the ground. Even if they wanted to recast anyone it might not work out very well.

that I have never seen:

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2017, 4:32am

Post #12 of 23 (3981 views)
Shortcut
Good point // [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

MoreMorgoth
Rivendell

Nov 18 2017, 4:54pm

Post #13 of 23 (3943 views)
Shortcut
- Sir Ian is a must!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which in no way impacts the use of McKellen as Gandalf since the character is already aged beyond what Ian actually is.

If the producers do not attempt to sign him up for the series they are really missing out on a wonderful opportunity to create some important continuity in the Middle-earth cinema universe. And nobody would be better.

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Nov 18 2017, 5:19pm

Post #14 of 23 (3933 views)
Shortcut
I'd probably prefer a totally new vision [In reply to] Can't Post

So that includes new designs & music and no re-appearance of actors including Ian McKellen as Gandalf. Though I have to admit, it could be difficult to find a new actor for this role. It should be someone older than 60, but younger than 75.

InTheChair
Rohan

Nov 18 2017, 5:21pm

Post #15 of 23 (3935 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely McKellen would be the least bit interested?

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Nov 18 2017, 7:39pm

Post #16 of 23 (3910 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he wants to go back [In reply to] Can't Post

Playing this role in six movies is more than enough.

MoreMorgoth
Rivendell

Nov 18 2017, 7:44pm

Post #17 of 23 (3907 views)
Shortcut
stick with perfection [In reply to] Can't Post

The great Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes over a dozen times.... sometimes when you have perfection - you stick with it.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2017, 6:15pm

Post #18 of 23 (3785 views)
Shortcut
that sounds like a plan [In reply to] Can't Post

too close for comfort if they follow in the footsteps of PJ.

Think of all the versions of Spiderman we've seen... different actors, production companies, settings. They all evoke the same character Stan Lee created but in different ways.

I think the same could work fine with Tolkien.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sűl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

No One in Particular
Lorien

Nov 21 2017, 3:13am

Post #19 of 23 (3753 views)
Shortcut
Health [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Surely McKellen would be the least bit interested?

Some of the actors suffer from ill health. Seems like I read that McKellen had cancer around the time of the Hobbit films; and Ian Holm was not in good enough health to travel at the time; same with Christopher Lee.

I would actually be very surprised not to see cameos by the likes of the original Nine Walkers, in totally different roles or course. (Perhaps Viggo might appear briefly as Arathorn in a flashback, for example.)

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 21 2017, 12:19pm

Post #20 of 23 (3710 views)
Shortcut
No must [In reply to] Can't Post

I would disagree with that.

I actually think that casting McKellen would be a major mistake for the series and a big step towards never being able to step out of the movies' shadows.

But that is just imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 21 2017, 6:12pm

Post #21 of 23 (3686 views)
Shortcut
Could they?-Possibly, should they?...no [In reply to] Can't Post

McKellen has already committed years of his life and career to playing Gandalf in six films, I'm inclined to think he'd be happy to move on by this point (especially if Jackson isn't involved-would he feel the same connection to the character with a different director/crew calling the shots? And a story entirely concocted by the screenwriters), he'll be in his late 70's when this TV series enters production and I'm not so sure he'd be comfortable committing to such a schedule again

I really think it would be the best from a creative standpoint if this TV series makes a clean break from the movies, and strikes a new path with new cast and crew, McKellen was a perfect Gandalf but I'd still argue there are other actors out there who could do equally brilliant takes on the characters.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2017, 7:14pm

Post #22 of 23 (3676 views)
Shortcut
Probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even during the filming of LOTR McKellen admitted having trouble with the physicality of the role at his then age of 59. He's 78 years now and with the additional stress of a grueling TV series shooting schedule I don't see it.

As for Amazon, McKellen often jousted (and usually won) with Jackson over how to play Gandalf. I would think Amazon would want someone with a lot fewer preconceptions of the role. (And frankly, someone a lot more malleable.)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 24 2017, 10:51pm

Post #23 of 23 (3609 views)
Shortcut
I'd prefer they completely separate the series from Peter Jackson's films. [In reply to] Can't Post

For a number of reasons.

I'd like to see someone else's vision of Middle-earth, for one thing (although I'd prefer a remake of LOTR to original non-Tolkien-written material).

And why would they put that kind of pressure on themselves, to limit themselves to what someone else has done and what fans have already seen?

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.