Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
In historic move, Christopher Tolkien resigns as director of Tolkien Estate

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 15 2017, 5:50am

Post #1 of 6 (1215 views)
Shortcut
     In historic move, Christopher Tolkien resigns as director of Tolkien Estate  

It turns out a "Lord of the Rings" TV series isn't the biggest Tolkien news of the week or the month or the year.

Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir of J.R.R. Tolkien, resigned from the Tolkien Estate. And his departure changes everything.

Christopher is 93 and just this year edited and published one of his father's works "Beren and Luthien," which as even casual Tolkienites know, refers to his parents with the names of those characters adorning their tombstones.

In the preface of the book he writes, "this is (preemptively) my last book in the long series of editions of my father's writings." It seems he was planning to retire already. Personally, learning the greatest Tolkien scholar, and a man who has honored his father in an exemplary way, has left the care of his father's legacy to others feels like reading the end of LOTR where Galadriel, Elrond and the other great elves leave Middle-earth. There is a keen sadness, but admiration and beauty as well.

But even if you aren't sentimental, he deserves any Tolkien fan's deep respect. But it bears repeating, this changes everything.

The news reached me by friend Michael Martinez via Twitter on his blog. Martinez has an exceptional mind for Tolkien.

He understood perfectly that Christopher R. Tolkien's departure signals the end of an era.

"With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin," he wrote.

Yes, and it seemingly has already happened. This is a definite piece of the puzzle of the recent news of the Amazon Video deal. I had heard through rock solid, but not reportable sources several years ago that other members of the estate were much more willing to negotiate J.R.R. Tolkien's properties while Christopher was far more interested in preserving legacy than money.

The settlement between Warner Bros. and the Tolkien Estate settled an $80 million lawsuit July 3. Part of the statement the studio released at the time was unusually upbeat for an entity that just paid out big money:

“The parties are pleased that they have amicably resolved this matter and look forward to working together in the future.”

The future mentioned in that statement is this week and beyond, and it was obviously in the works then. According to a U.K. government website, Christopher resigned on Aug. 31. One would expect formal resignations of this nature take time to manage legally, so it also was in the works for some time I suspect. What I wouldn't give to have been in the room for that passing of the torch.

So in quick fashion, after the seismic change, the estate has sold the television rights for book "The Lord of the Rings." Warners paid the court dispute so there would be a relationship moving forward and Amazon's Jeff Bezos rewarded both entities handsomely.

Another important thing to note here, and another piece of the puzzle, is that the television rights to "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" were NOT sold when J.R.R. Tolkien sold the movie rights in 1969. Those rights were for motion pictures. TORn staffer and author Kristin Thompson informed our staff about this. She has first-hand documentation and as author of "The Frodo Franchise," knows this stuff as well as anybody. And obviously you can and should buy her book on Amazon.com. I believe another TORn news article is expected on just this point.

This explains why the estate was so involved in the Amazon deal; they were selling something. It also explains why Tolkien Enterprises was absent from the latest news.

But the bigger ramifications of all this are far greater than a multi-season Amazon series. The new leadership of the estate seem much more willing to deal Tolkien properties than Christopher was and this confirms my well placed sources.

This opens up Tolkien and Middle-earth as possible franchises in the same way that Harry Potter's world is a place you can visit at Universal Studios or that Disney will soon have a Star Wars area. There are few properties in the world that can be talked about in the same way as Middle-earth. Warner Bros. see the value and so does Amazon.

That doesn't mean the Tolkien Estate will move toward making the rights to "Beren And Luthien" available but it does mean my wish to produce "The Silmarillion" as HBO series is slightly less impossible than it was before. That is what has changed really. Things once impossible are now possible.

The estate may elect to only allow more content based solely on "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings." Or they may carefully cultivate the entire library.

Because of the depth of J.R.R. Tolkien's legendarium, there is a virtually endless fountain of material. As Martinez points out in his blog, what will be produced is essentially fan fiction. As Disney has expanded the Galaxy far-far away, and HBO is planning its growth of George R.R. Martin's Westeros world, so too could Amazon and Warner Bros expand Middle-earth.

Much of that possibility rests with the estate but just Appendix A in "The Lord of the Rings" offers a wealth of content. The imagination soars with possibilities.

This will no doubt anger many fans and delight many others, as the Amazon deal already has. Some don't want to see the compromise of the author's vision. Funny enough, this also seems to have a whole new batch of fans upset because they don't want Amazon's product to compromise Peter Jackson's vision of Tolkien's vision.

The officers of the Tolkien Estate still count among their numbers Tolkien's youngest child Priscilla Tolkien and other grandchildren in the family.

This is over-long already but a final word on Christopher Tolkien's departure. Here is a man who is a treasure, and who carries in his heart and mind the voice and essence of his father. The significance of his departure cannot be over stated.

I close with another poignant passage he wrote about his father in the preface of his final contribution to the Tolkien legacy, "Beren and Luthien."

"In a letter to me on the subject of my mother, written in the year after her death, which was also the year before his own, he wrote of his overwhelming sense of bereavement, and of his wish to have Luthien inscribed beneath her name on the grave. He returned in that letter ... to the origin of the tale of Beren and Luthien in a small woodland glade filled with hemlock flowers near Roos in Yorkshire, where she danced; and he said: 'But the story has gone crooked, and I am left, and I cannot plead before the inexorable Mandos.'

Thank you Christopher Tolkien. We are going to miss you and your strength and determination to contribute to and preserve the legacy of your father.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2017, 11:50am

Post #2 of 6 (1192 views)
Shortcut
     What a week. [In reply to]  

I (I guess we all) had suspected something had changed within the Tolkien Estate. I have lots of emotions about this news. I don't really have much to say, other than thank you Christopher for continuing the legacy. It really is quite something that new material could be released so many years after Tolkien's death. My bookshelf would look a lot different without Christopher Tolkien. His devotion really has made sure, for all of us and for future generations, that there are plenty of reasons to simply go back to the book/s and read what his father created.

Change is certainly coming to Middle-earth.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 15 2017, 11:57am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 15 2017, 1:37pm

Post #3 of 6 (1154 views)
Shortcut
     Well said. [In reply to]  

I couldn't find the words, but you found them for me. "My bookshelf would look a lot different without Christopher Tolkien" indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2017, 5:14pm

Post #4 of 6 (1111 views)
Shortcut
     "My bookshelf would look a lot different without Christopher Tolkien." [In reply to]  

This is so true.

I hope he knows how much we all cherish him, for all he has done! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Nov 15 2017, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 6 (1104 views)
Shortcut
     The end of an era indeed... [In reply to]  

At 93 he has done well to protect his father's legacy for so long. Time for a rest, now, and for others to take up the baton...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2017, 6:08pm

Post #6 of 6 (1091 views)
Shortcut
     As we've got two threads on the same topic, [In reply to]  

I'll lock this one and point to the other one on the Middle-earth TV Series board:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.