The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
So what stories would you like to see in the new Amazon series

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 10:32pm

Post #1 of 6 (1545 views)
Shortcut
So what stories would you like to see in the new Amazon series Can't Post

I don't even know what to call it - so far the only thing clear is that it won't be a reboot of either LoTR or The Hobbit. But that does leave a lot of other potential stories. Some have suggested the War of the North, Balin's attempt to reclaim Moria, or anything involving a younger Aragorn. I think all of those would be fine, but what I'd really love to see is Beren and Luthien. I don't know if that's possible, since Christopher just put out a book on this, but one can dream! So, what would anyone else like to see? And here's another question: should the series be live, or animated? I could actually go with either one, depending on how it's done (NOT Rankin/Bass style, please!), because the story is more important to me. But what does anyone else think, live or animated?

Check out my new book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521753377

squire
Half-elven

Nov 14 2017, 10:49pm

Post #2 of 6 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Check out SirDennisC's post below, on the same questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some interesting ideas being floated there

There is no way in Utumno that this will be an animated series. The idea is to compete with Game of Thrones.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2017, 10:59pm

Post #3 of 6 (1520 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Get a creative team that is passionate about the source material, and let them do their thing. Part of the miracle of the film trilogy is that New Line took an enormous leap of faith with Jackson, and it paid off in spades. Don't bring in a new team only to handcuff them.

2) Use the material you paid for. Amazon put down $250 million upfront just for the rights alone. Not to mention the reported budget of $100-$150 million per season. That's a lot of money. An almost insane amount of money. I will be monumentally disappointed if Amazon coughed up all of that dough, only to create original storylines and original characters that are set in the world of Middle-earth but don't actually exist in Tolkien's canon. Keep that sort of thing for video games.

3) No cussing, no graphic nudity, no explosive sex scenes. When Bezos said he wanted Amazon to have their own GOT, I assume all he meant was a highly successful fantasy series. I doubt the plan is to literally take Middle-earth and throw GOT-like expletives and nudity everywhere. I doubt it, but I'll say it anyway. Don't vulgarize a classical work.

4) Have The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings as the end game. I know I'm one of the few people on this board who feels this way, but I would ultimately like them to re-adapt The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Use the first few seasons to tell a story (or stories) from Tolkien's books that we haven't seen yet. Get the audience's feet wet with this new creative team and their new vision. After a few seasons, should the series prove successful and build a loyal fanbase, then broach the subject of re-adapting The Hobbit and Rings. By that point, you've established good will with fans and have allowed nearly 20 years to elapse since the films before revisiting those books.

If it were up to me, I would love to see a long-form adaptation of the Second Age and the Last Alliance. Our only exposure to that material outside of the books was the seven-minute prologue in Fellowship, so the concept brings familiarity while also giving you plenty of unseen material to flesh out.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 15 2017, 4:12am

Post #4 of 6 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Which brings up some immense problems [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Who is going to be the lead producer and the lead director?
2. Who is going to be able to plan out the stories and then write them?
3. What is critical is what time period we start in....it could also flash forward and backward.
4. You need compelling situations - and there are a number of them to explore - but it will require a vast number of characters and actors as the timelines advance.
5. The budget is huge and at least hopefully promises both a gorgeous visual as well as artistic setting.
6. What is the time frame? I can't see this being ready for years...it is not like they have ready made scripts. They have an immense amount of plotting and writing and then more revisions etc. before the first shot is ever taken. I have been watching for Devil in The White City to be made and it has taken over 10 years and is still in development. This is far, far more complex and a much larger story.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Nov 15 2017, 4:36am

Post #5 of 6 (1447 views)
Shortcut
the second age + last alliance is a good idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could have clear links to LOTR - Isildur, Elrond, etc - while also telling some stories that are interesting in their own right.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 15 2017, 3:01pm

Post #6 of 6 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

“Have Narya, Will Travel”. Gandalf and Shadowfax wander from town to town in Middle-earth advising and persuading Men and Elves to good, and seeking to unite in love and understanding all those whom Evil would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.

“The Lone Dunedain”. The mysterious Ranger Thorongil wanders Middle-earth fighting injustice with his loyal Elven companion Legolas who after finding him near death gave him the ring of Barahir and the name “Mellon” which means “friend”.

"The Life and Times of Robin Smallburrow". Chronicles the rise from bounder to Shirriff of Robin Smallburrow who, armed only with his trusty bag of throwing stones at his hip, brought law and order to the Shire.

"The Great Smial". The adventures of the large Took family as they run and defend their smial while helping the surrounding community.

"Tales of the Message Service". Answerable only to the Postmaster of Michel Delving, Special Agent Jimco Hardiefoot investigates Quick Post robberies and fights bad guys.

Hey, I'd watch any of those!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.