Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
WELCOME TO TORN's 2017 HOMECOMING FIESTA!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 11:00am

Post #176 of 229 (413 views)
Shortcut
The eldest went through a phase of loving The Very Hungry Caterpillar ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and then got bored of it. Maybe he would prefer The Very Hungry Balrog now. Wink

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I think I enjoy reading children's stories more than the children do. I've become quite a fan of Julia Donaldson (no idea how popular she is across the World), her wit and imagination is very entertaining! I've officially read Room on the Broom more times than reading and watching The Lord of the Rings.

I hope you have been well, Starling.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 11:19am

Post #177 of 229 (412 views)
Shortcut
Is it frequent? [In reply to] Can't Post

The smog, that is? We never really hear about smog in the States. I spent some time in India earlier this year, and (among other things) the polluted air always gets me. It's a brilliant warm sunny day, yet you can't see the blue sky that goes with it.

How have you been? What took you to LA (were you in Chicago before, or have I made that up?)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 11:21am

Post #178 of 229 (410 views)
Shortcut
Not quite ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The eldest one thinks clouds are made from milk. I can't bring myself round to correct him. Blush

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 11:27am

Post #179 of 229 (410 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Altaira. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is nice to see that nothing has changed since my last visit. The Hobbit board is a bit scant mind, where have all the flame wars gone?
I'd dusted off my comfy armchair and everything. Wink

Someone will have to say something controversial soon otherwise the forum will come out in hives.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 11:28am

Post #180 of 229 (407 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you, sil. How have you been? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 13 2017, 3:38pm

Post #181 of 229 (401 views)
Shortcut
Pretty good, thanks :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In and out of here, depending on RL. How's the weather?WinkAngelic Meaning, how's the job going? Any penguin visits in your future?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 5:44pm

Post #182 of 229 (392 views)
Shortcut
Hi Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good to hear from you. Things have remained calm here lately. Even discussion of the potential new Middle-earth television series has remained reasonably polite and respectful. Hopefully that will continue even after we start to get some details (assuming the whole thing doesn't fall apart).

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2017, 5:49pm

Post #183 of 229 (390 views)
Shortcut
There are some great stories out there... [In reply to] Can't Post

my grandsons (now 5 & 7) loved the Hairy McLairy books, with their repetition and rhythm, and delightful illustrations. Not forgetting the cat, Scarface Claw! Have fun and savour those story moments.

cats16
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 4:04am

Post #184 of 229 (342 views)
Shortcut
It hovers [In reply to] Can't Post

The smog here is only really visible if you're looking from the hills above the city. It's quite constant, for the most part. Certainly nothing near what I've seen in Delhi and other horribly polluted cities.

Doing well! Same as ever, just under the guise of being an adult now. And you're not making things up! *runs to DM you the rest*

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 14 2017, 4:27am

Post #185 of 229 (342 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

the only pink mentionable presently is, the pink strawberry shakes we are addicted to over at SONIC. in Marion NC. Blush. Not to mention the homemade elderberry extract/almond milk ones i am working on:).

How is life in the Pens Dutch farmlands? If you see those folks making my countertops, i would surely love them by Thanksgiving.
The only ones i know of, got run over by some crazy Nazi types.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

cats16
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 5:00am

Post #186 of 229 (340 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, sil [In reply to] Can't Post

You're the third or fourth person to suggest avoiding the pain meds. Sounds like a plan to me. Hoping I can wiggle into a time for surgery when I'm home for the holidays, so I'm not cooped up alone in my apartment, if something goes wrong.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 8:55am

Post #187 of 229 (323 views)
Shortcut
Hi Otaku, judging by the last 24 hours, it was a good time to de-lurk! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 2:51pm

Post #188 of 229 (306 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you could say that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 5:09pm

Post #189 of 229 (296 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaha!// [In reply to] Can't Post

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 5:17pm

Post #190 of 229 (305 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never? Hi, everyone! *waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

How many times have I posted with that subject line over the years?

I was out of the country without internet access and so missed the homecoming day. I still lurk weekly and I'm glad to see familiar names still posting away!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 6:28pm

Post #191 of 229 (292 views)
Shortcut
Did you feel a disturbance in the Force? [In reply to] Can't Post

As if a million geeks cried out in wonder at the Amazon announcement? Wink

Nice to see you here, Tint. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 6:40pm

Post #192 of 229 (290 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I heard an announcement on NPR this morning about the plans for a Tolkien series and so immediately logged onto TORN for the details (OF COURSE!), where I found the homecoming thread. Nice to see some of the old crowd and to read through grammaís links to homecomings past.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 7:32pm

Post #193 of 229 (281 views)
Shortcut
She's in her nineties. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be so hard not to be able to speak. She likes having me visit because I couldn't speak for a few days after my stroke, so I understand that just because she can't speak doesn't mean she can't think. Her husband is pretty good at reading her mind and speaking up for her. It's been over a year, so she probably won't get better, though the other day when I asked where her husband was, she clearly said "bathroom". I was stunned.

I hope your friend will continue to improve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 7:51pm

Post #194 of 229 (280 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm back... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I used to post here quite often around 2011-2013 (more often than not arguing with DanielLB about the Talking Purse), but as time worse on real life obligations, different interests and my increasing frustrations with The Hobbit films led to a gradual decrease in my activity here, I've dropped by occasionally in recent years but generally felt like I'd moved on from my hardcore Tolkien fandom, looking back on some of my old posts I hardly recognise the man I was back then...

I never felt like I contributed much of substance or interest to discussions here back then (although I love the Tolkien books, I can't claim to be an expert of them-I read them for escapism not to analyse their literary merits-though that is a fun activity Tongue ), but I always found it enlightening to read other points of view and interpretations of the films and books.

The recent surprising news about the LOTR TV series has reawakened some of my long dormant Tolkien geekery and I thought it would be fun to drop by and read some of the reactions here, not sure if I'll stick around longer this time, but it certainly seems to have a postive impact on forum traffic at least...

Smile

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 9:57pm

Post #195 of 229 (267 views)
Shortcut
Politely knocks on door [In reply to] Can't Post

Peeks around the corner, is the party still going on.

Wow, has been a while since I really posted here.
I did check in once in a while, but it was a bit quiet around here.
And somehow, life has run away with my free time, work, parents, more work, some school (but that is luckily all done!). And of course that other social media thingy called Facebook. I did keep up with a lot of TORn friends on there, and of course our own Facebook page.

But now with the news about the series (Iím not yet sure what to think of it, will make up my mind later when there is more information), I just had to come back to this corner of the big web, just in time for this party.

Iím going to read who else is still here. But great to see you still going strong Gramma!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 10:10pm

Post #196 of 229 (253 views)
Shortcut
It's NEVER too late, Tintalle :D [In reply to] Can't Post

So great to have you safe and sound at home.... but I hope your time away was fun and rewarding :D That's the beauty of TORn, someone is always around ;)

CHEERS!!!!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 10:16pm

Post #197 of 229 (255 views)
Shortcut
*waves madly* Hey There! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you did stop by :) Life ebbs and flows, and we're not here to perform, but to share and lurk and pop in when we feel like it. I'm no scholar, either (OBVIOUSLY) and don't do well in debates, but I love being here with others who "get" how much Tolkien, the stories and TORnsibbies mean to me. Like I've said before, it's nice to know there's always someone around :D

*warm hug* It's really great to see you! :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 10:21pm

Post #198 of 229 (249 views)
Shortcut
Rosie!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some gluhwein stashed under the counter just in case you stopped by! :D I'm so happy to see you!! I'm glad you're keeping busy and having fun! It's so easy for the days to slip away. We've had a lot of wanders stop in just to say hi... which is the purpose and beauty of TORn. A chance to *flying tackle hug* our Friends!!! :D

*more hugs* Thanks so much for stopping by. It's so great to see you!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2017, 2:29am

Post #199 of 229 (230 views)
Shortcut
Rosie! Great to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you still have your "I Love Hot Dwarves" T-shirt?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 15 2017, 6:26pm

Post #200 of 229 (197 views)
Shortcut
Hi grammaboodawg, thank you for the warm welcome back, [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if I will ever match my peak levels of activity from the early years, but I certainly plan to stick around and follow the news regarding this TV series, potentially even contributing something of vague interest on the odd occasion...

These last few days on the forum have certainly been busy (and nostalgic!), it's really nice to see so many old faces (well, usernames) reappear, however good or bad this TV series turns out, it 's already increased activity on the forum and spawned some very interesting discussions, we should be thankful for that at the very least...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.