Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Doug Adams Comments on the Music

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 7:09am

Post #1 of 14 (2390 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams Comments on the Music Can't Post

Our wonderfully charming pipeline to the maestro Tongue had this to say on Twitter this evening:

"I can’t promise that #HowardShore will be involved with Amazon’s #LordOfTheRings project—but I can promise that I’ll tell him he should be! Wink"

"In all seriousness—and in answer to the many Qs I received today—it all depends on a huge number of factors. But here’s hoping!"

Now I know many will say that they want a different composer in the mix (for a new take on Middle-earth and so on...). But even if I didn't badly want Shore to continue his musical exploration of Middle-earth, the only other composer I'd want for the job is no longer walking the earth (James Horner). So I'm left with Shore by default. Tongue

In seriousness, though, if they are breaking continuity with the films and going a different route, it will definitely be a new composer - someone who works in television most likely.

But if not, it's nice to know that Doug is all set and ready to nudge Howard. Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Name
Rohan

Nov 14 2017, 7:20am

Post #2 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut
God.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I want Shore back so badly. Even if the show is completely separate from Jackson's universe, Shore can just write new themes and leitmotifs for this "new" world. It may or may not happen, but oh God do I want it badly...

Beleg Cúthalion
The Shire

Nov 14 2017, 7:47am

Post #3 of 14 (2343 views)
Shortcut
I really hope he will be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that this is going to be a completely new vision of Middle-earth, but Howard Shore's score for the film trilogy is just beyond mesmerizing. In my opinion, he created the greatest soundtrack to anything of all time. I hope that he will be somewhat involved in this project, perhaps he might help whoever the new composer will be, but I hope he will be involved in some way.

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 14 2017, 8:08am

Post #4 of 14 (2336 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore [In reply to] Can't Post

is an essential part of Middle Earth for me. I'm listening to "An Unexpected Journey" very often now, besides LOTR Complete Recordings...

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Nov 14 2017, 8:15am)

maut
Rivendell

Nov 14 2017, 8:15am

Post #5 of 14 (2332 views)
Shortcut
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't imagine anyone else to make a score for Middle-Earth!

...and the sound of the kettle on his hearth was ever after more musical than it had been even in the quiet days before the Unexpected Party

Earl
Forum Admin

Nov 14 2017, 8:24am

Post #6 of 14 (2333 views)
Shortcut
Whoever thought we’d be here [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a few years after The Hobbit. Of course I want Howard Shore, but the music is such a big part of Middle-earth for me, I’m afraid to hope, so I’ll just calmly follow the proceedings with my “nauva i nauva” attitude Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 9:04am

Post #7 of 14 (2322 views)
Shortcut
Hm. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if they want the series to be set in the contunity of PJ's movies (which I actually am not sure they should...) then him coming back would indeed be great.

But if they work on a whole different approach or simply want to establish a new vision of all this than I think it will be best to also create a completely new take on the music.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 2:53pm

Post #8 of 14 (2238 views)
Shortcut
It is bizarre to think about [In reply to] Can't Post

On the one hand I'd give just about anything to have more Howard Shore Middle-earth music. On the other hand, what would his music be like if the vision of the world is different.
It's hard to imagine any TV show spending that kind of money on a score, but you never know.

Much like my thoughts on the design of the six films, there is no universe in which the music can be improved upon, so it is bound to disappoint. But it is exciting nonetheless to see how it plays out.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 3:44pm

Post #9 of 14 (2221 views)
Shortcut
James Horner, R.I.P. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now I know many will say that they want a different composer in the mix (for a new take on Middle-earth and so on...). But even if I didn't badly want Shore to continue his musical exploration of Middle-earth, the only other composer I'd want for the job is no longer walking the earth (James Horner). So I'm left with Shore by default. Tongue

Honestly, I had completely forgotten that James Horner died in a plane crash a couple of years ago. Given his strengths, though, I would only want Horner for a Middle-earth film or series if it was set in Númenor and would spend a lot of time on sea voyages.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 4:32pm

Post #10 of 14 (2204 views)
Shortcut
He could've [In reply to] Can't Post

reused well known themes from the movie about the big ship that sunk.
Oh wait.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 4:44pm

Post #11 of 14 (2200 views)
Shortcut
It breaks my heart... [In reply to] Can't Post

...every time I think about his passing. Unsure

James was my absolute favorite composer, especially growing up. His scores were so emotional. I listened to them and wept for weeks after he died.

I was hit harder by his death than I have ever been for someone I didn’t know personally.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 14 2017, 4:45pm)

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Nov 14 2017, 5:47pm

Post #12 of 14 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore's LOTR scores... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are my favorite music in the world. I'm a score aficionado since age 8, I grew up discovering the music of Williams, Morricone, Horner, Elfman, Zimmer and others, but nothing could prepare me for what Shore created for LOTR. Listening to those themes for the first time, in my first viewing of FOTR back in 2002 was an absolutely unforgettable experience. I own the scores and listen to them on my iPod for several years now. The experience that I have immersing myself in this music is such an emotional, profound and powerful one, much like experiencing the films. I'm a colossal fan of his compositions for Middle-earth, The Hobbit as well. This music is a part of me.

As for the series, It would be awesome if he returned as composer. Don't know if they will call him, but I suspect that without PJ's involvement, he will decline, it's just a hunch, of course. If Amazon and company are aiming at a new composer, especially one with experience on TV, Abel Korzeniowski could be an excellent choice, he composed some exquisite, lush, beautiful music for the three short seasons of John Logan's series "Penny Dreadful". His work on that show really impressed me, maybe a bit dark for Middle-earth, but he has great depth as composer, just an idea.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Nov 15 2017, 4:28pm

Post #13 of 14 (2083 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Howard Shore will do the score for a TV series. He is too expensive for that kind of budget. But! he could come up with the main theme or something like that. But I don't think he needs to. He did his thing already and we are happy with it. I think it's time for new composers to expand this musical world and as someone jus said. Abel Korzeniowski would be my IDEAL choice in that case. Also Bear Mcreary!

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 16 2017, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 14 (2043 views)
Shortcut
YES - More Shore Please! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Our wonderfully charming pipeline to the maestro Tongue had this to say on Twitter this evening:

"I can’t promise that #HowardShore will be involved with Amazon’s #LordOfTheRings project—but I can promise that I’ll tell him he should be! Wink"

"In all seriousness—and in answer to the many Qs I received today—it all depends on a huge number of factors. But here’s hoping!"

In seriousness, though, if they are breaking continuity with the films and going a different route, it will definitely be a new composer - someone who works in television most likely.

But if not, it's nice to know that Doug is all set and ready to nudge Howard. Cool

1) FOTR 2) ROTK 3) AUJ 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.