Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
We're going to need a new board!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2017, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 35 (1134 views)
Shortcut
We're going to need a new board! Can't Post

Might I suggest as possible forum names:

"Vicious Amazon Flame Wars"

"Mod Hell"

"Don't Even Start With That In Here"

"/dev/null"

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 7:51pm

Post #2 of 35 (1029 views)
Shortcut
How about.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..."The Hobbit Trilogy Was *Perfect* So How Could They Have So Badly Messed Up The TV Series!"?

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2017, 8:02pm

Post #3 of 35 (997 views)
Shortcut
As long as it's a femine board like the others I don't care what they call it./ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 8:15pm

Post #4 of 35 (1003 views)
Shortcut
And things were going so well! [In reply to] Can't Post

The discussion was still pretty civilized last time I checked. Do I even want to know?

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2017, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 35 (992 views)
Shortcut
Honestly, Darkstone, how many things can you get wrong in a single sentence? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 12:23am

Post #6 of 35 (966 views)
Shortcut
To paraphrase a great proverb... [In reply to] Can't Post

“Can I make a suggestion that doesn’t involve sarcasm, or is this the wrong crowd?”

Tongue

Surely, this will become a reality soon, yes? Discussion has already exploded on the existing threads, and no doubt posters will want to make an abundance of threads soon to discuss, speculate and dissect.

“TV Show Discussion: The Lord of the Rings Prequel”

Surely, some variation of this, yes? The sooner, the better I say.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 5:04am

Post #7 of 35 (951 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

..although the name of the new forum is a little bit more boring than the ones you suggested. Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 5:13am

Post #8 of 35 (932 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Altaira! :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 5:20am

Post #9 of 35 (949 views)
Shortcut
If anyone told me two weeks ago [In reply to] Can't Post

that I'd be creating a new message board tonight, no less one to discuss a new Middle-earth based TV series, I would literally have snorted whatever I was drinking at the time all over the keyboard, computer and screen. It felt surreal and pretty dang exciting to do it though, and I'm proud to say, looking around, that all is dry. Wink.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 5:30am

Post #10 of 35 (934 views)
Shortcut
It is a bit surreal, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the new board, Altaira! Cool

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 5:59am

Post #11 of 35 (934 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

how quickly this happened. I wonder how long they've been in negotiations without any word leaking out?

Thanks for the new board, Altaira! This will definitely make things pick up around here.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 7:06am

Post #12 of 35 (930 views)
Shortcut
Pssst... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we make the Silmarillion discussion board, from an April Fool's Day a few years back, live again and see what the reaction is?

Evil Angelic

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 14 2017, 7:06am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 7:22am

Post #13 of 35 (920 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

What a roller coaster, huh? Shocked

Today has been crazy. I went from, last week, being extremely put off by news of a TV remake of LotR to, today, being gobsmacked by the news that it's a whole different beast. And here we are discussing further adventures into Middle-earth on the screen (and a mere 3 years after wrapping up The Hobbit films).

The whole thing still feels like a fever dream at the moment! Laugh

Anyway, thanks again for setting up the new board! Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 9:01am

Post #14 of 35 (912 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for doing this so quickly! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're back (well, I know many had never left). And it feels good. Whatever comes of it, I am looking forward to the discussions here on TORN.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 9:21am

Post #15 of 35 (905 views)
Shortcut
You never know, you may yet have to rename it The Silmarillion TV series discussion! / [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 14 2017, 12:37pm

Post #16 of 35 (909 views)
Shortcut
On the subject of new boards... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Where do you plan on holding discussion for the upcoming Tolkien biopic?

Very little production info or rumours have come out yet, but it's a very exciting project and deep into production, and arguably merits its own board or sub-forum as well (depending on the scale/nature of the film-not entirely clear what it will be covering)...

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 1:43pm

Post #17 of 35 (899 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

Both for the new board and for being, as usual, vastly more mature about it that I would be.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 1:46pm

Post #18 of 35 (901 views)
Shortcut
I feel a bit ripped off, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

We lost weeks or even months of endless speculation and arguing about whether Netflix or Hulu or Amazon or BBC would do it best, and all the arguing about a LOTR remake got cut off before it could reach its awkward teenage years. Ahh well. Gift horse, mouth, that kinda thing I guess.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 2:06pm

Post #19 of 35 (908 views)
Shortcut
What I'm finding spooky... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is how this all coincided with our annual Homecoming Fiesta!

It's as if "they" were just waiting for folks to pop back onto TORn and check out any activity.

Yep, there's activity! Shocked

Thank you, Altaira! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 4:02pm

Post #20 of 35 (891 views)
Shortcut
Yippee!! Thank you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe it! Wonderful!! Here's to many more new TORn discussions ahead! May we all have fun debating and conjecturing! Let the fan furor fly!!! Let the modding up and modding down begin WinkCoolAngelicMadSlySmile!!

*cracks champagne bottle over the new board*

Thank you!!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 14 2017, 6:29pm

Post #21 of 35 (885 views)
Shortcut
The biopic would suitable on Main. [In reply to] Can't Post

It fits within the board's role of, 'General discussion of Tolkien, LOTR and The Hobbit literary and movie related topics'.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 14 2017, 6:46pm

Post #22 of 35 (882 views)
Shortcut
At least I got it wrong! [In reply to] Can't Post

As physicist Wolfgang Pauli would say of much of the stuff on the net (and news) today: "That isn't right! That isn't even wrong!!"

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 15 2017, 8:10am

Post #23 of 35 (830 views)
Shortcut
Hey dernie, how's this for spooky... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the last several months, since before Christmas last year, I've been having recurring dreams about "need to know" meetings between the Tolkien Estate and WB about a Middle-earth TV series.

I think I need to start taking notice of my subconscious again, seems wishful thinking does work (sometimes) lol LaughWinkTongue

This is what happens when your tiger printer slowly runs out of ink Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2017, 12:22pm

Post #24 of 35 (807 views)
Shortcut
WHAT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously???

OMG!

Were there any specific people from the Estate there?

Okay, now...*prepares to take notes* what other things have you been dreaming about? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 15 2017, 2:13pm

Post #25 of 35 (798 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, seriously Smile

The only one with a name I remember was Bailie. The dreams were odd, which is why I remembered them, as I seemed to be watching what was going on, but they couldn't see me, and they were arguing about the script. The family had retained the right to veto anything that was too far off canon and they seemed to feel that the scriptwriters were too young to fully understand the depth of Middle-earth and they wanted some with more experience.

They were also very fast paced, with so much going on. I do remember another one, quite early on, had a big announcement being made at SDCC and TORn were present.

Weird hey? LOL

Well I need to get some sleep, I've got my second exam tomorrow morning.

*hugs, love & blessings*
Kel xHeart

This is what happens when your tiger printer slowly runs out of ink Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.