Lord of the Rings' TV Show Gets Mutli-Season Order At Amazon
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 13 2017, 6:20pm

Post #1 of 183 (7349 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings' TV Show Gets Mutli-Season Order At Amazon Can't Post

Amazon officially signed a multiple season deal with Warner Bros to create a television series based on Lord of the Rings for the Amazon Prime streaming service. The announcement was officially made today following rumors of talks going taking place between the two companies last week.

http://comicbook.com/...f-the-rings-tv-show/

Hollywood's greed won folks...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2017, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 183 (7019 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* (Updated: Not quite an adaptation of LotR, after all...) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's that then. Unsure

I hope it turns out well for all of you who are looking forward to it.

I honestly can't believe the Tolkien Estate is actually on board for this. Pigs do fly, apparently.

EDIT:
Hold, on. Apparently, according to the reports, the series "will explore new storylines preceding “The Fellowship of the Ring.”

http://variety.com/...s-amazon-1202613609/

This might be something different, after all. Hmmm....

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 13 2017, 6:28pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2017, 6:27pm

Post #3 of 183 (6993 views)
Shortcut
Intrigued. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am intrigued.

If people do this who have an understanding of the world this could be interesting. This understanding will be essential as they will have to make up a lot of story and characters.

More question marks than answers right now of course and a lot of worries.

But I want to stay open for this. Not sure whether there is more greed here than it was with the movies. Studios want to make money. It will depend on what team they put together and how much freedom they give the crew.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 13 2017, 6:30pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2017, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 183 (6978 views)
Shortcut
@Mods [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it is early.

But might there be a subforum dedicated to the series at some point?

I felt - despite feeling very comfortable here - that I had nothing more to add to these forums after the Bot5A WE release. If only for new discussion and speculations with the TORN family I am already glad this is happening now.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 6:37pm

Post #5 of 183 (6972 views)
Shortcut
Based on characters and situations created by J.R.R. Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

The television adaptation of JRR Tolkien’s seminal fantasy novels will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.

The new series will take place in the world of Middle-earth but will explore storylines that took place before the events of Tolkien’s first Lord of the Rings novel, The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal also includes possible spinoffs from the first series.

I'm going to call it now: This will probably borrow extensively from "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" and reflect the journeys and errantries of Aragorn. It might also incorporate other events that occurred between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings such as Balin's attempt to restore Moria, Sauron's descent into Shadow, and Gollum's attempts to track Bilbo Baggins and reclaim his 'birthday present'.

One of the questions that come to mind: Will this ignore elements and changes that are original to the Peter Jackson films?

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 13 2017, 6:39pm)

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 13 2017, 6:38pm

Post #6 of 183 (6964 views)
Shortcut
New information! It will take before the events of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The television adaptation of JRR Tolkien’s seminal fantasy novels will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.

The new series will take place in the world of Middle-earth but will explore storylines that took place before the events of Tolkien’s first Lord of the Rings novel, The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal also includes possible spinoffs from the first series.

“The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios in a statement. “We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth.”

“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

http://comicbook.com/...f-the-rings-tv-show/

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Nov 13 2017, 6:39pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2017, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 183 (6958 views)
Shortcut
"Before the events of The Fellowship of the Ring" is fairly vague... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not discounting the possibility that we might be getting our Silmarillion adaptation after all.

Either way, whether this is Silmarillion stuff, or original material focusing on LotR characters pre-Fellowship, my position on this has DEFINITELY changed.

Bring. It. On.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 6:46pm

Post #8 of 183 (6965 views)
Shortcut
"Tolkien Estate and Trust"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard of the "Tolkien Estate" and I've heard of the "Tolkien Trust", but this is the first time I've heard of the "Tolkien Estate and Trust".

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2017, 6:48pm

Post #9 of 183 (6948 views)
Shortcut
That info was in the article already, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

squire
Half-elven

Post #10 of 183 (6962 views)
Shortcut
For reference, here is the actual press release. [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that all the media, comic book, fantasy, gossip, etc. sites have covered this news by extensively quoting from, but not linking to, the actual Amazon Press Release.

The Tolkien Estate and Harper Collins spokesman, Matt Galsor, suggests that Amazon's creative team has already pitched its ideas for how the series will go.

One thing seems certain: an awful lot of dialogue is going to get written that will have no source for 'adaptation' from Tolkien's prolific pen; none of his stories from the Appendices and other ephemera have even an hour's worth of spoken dialogue. Thus, the tone of the series will be entirely up to the sensitivity and ears of the writers - who, like Jackson's team, will have to decide how much updating the voices, vocabulary, and syntax will need for broadcast acceptance on the small screen, week after week.

Another thing strikes me: if in fact the Tolkien Estate shopped this idea, looking for that flat fee of $250 million up front, it may well have accepted a request from the studios that 'Unfinished Tales', with its additional Third Age and Second Age stories, be included in the rights for this deal.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Post #11 of 183 (6958 views)
Shortcut
We're finally getting "The Bridge Film"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though more as "The Bridge Series".

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 13 2017, 6:49pm

Post #12 of 183 (6945 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps a young Aragorn series? [In reply to] Can't Post

The one (and only) time I watched The Battle Of The Five Armies Thranduil casually mentioning Strider to Legolas and hinting that the two should meet up stuck out as a possible tease for a spinoff series, I'm assuming Amazon will want to keep continuity and maybe even crew with the Jackson films...

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 13 2017, 6:54pm

Post #13 of 183 (6940 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised they even 'shopped' a deal... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Everything I've read or assumed about the Tolkien Estate seemed to imply they had little to no interest in sanctioning or supporting adaptions (and certainly not without creative input or merely for pots of money) viewing their primary job as promoting and protecting Tolkien's literary heritage, Mr Galsor's comments certainly suggest the estate isn't expecting much in the way of creative input, so if that is the case, why are they now willing to work with Warner Brothers etc? Will we be seeing more adaptions in the future?

Really curious how Christopher Tolkien feels about this...

Very confused fan here...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 6:56pm

Post #14 of 183 (6940 views)
Shortcut
Chasing Game of Thrones. [In reply to] Can't Post

I find The Lord of the Rings a bit of an odd choice to go to for a semi-original TV series. There are literally dozens of eligible epic fantasy or sci-fi novels ready to go. If they go down the GoT/HBO route, will we finally get to see some Hobbit nudity?

This could be the greatest thing to ever happen or an absolute disaster (scratch that, nothing can ever be as bad as The Battle of the Five Armies). But I'll still watch it, and likely obsess over it; I'm shameless like that.

I look forward to more news soon.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 6:57pm

Post #15 of 183 (6932 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

We shall see but I'm open!

A new board might be warranted - we'll want to obsess over each and every rumor, casting decision, etc.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 13 2017, 6:57pm

Post #16 of 183 (6937 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

There doesn't seem to be any reason why the Tolkien Estate would need to be involved unless the producers of the show were using material based on works of Tolkien other than LOTR and TH. Unless I am completely missing something.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2017, 6:58pm

Post #17 of 183 (6934 views)
Shortcut
I'm shocked to say the least... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine what could have possibly been said to Christopher Tolkien (and by whom) to get him to allow this.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I really can't imagine he was swayed by money (even as an exorbitant amount as this).

- Viggo Mortensen

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 13 2017, 6:59pm

Post #18 of 183 (6926 views)
Shortcut
this could be good [In reply to] Can't Post

and the estate is involved.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 13 2017, 7:01pm

Post #19 of 183 (6927 views)
Shortcut
Assurance [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Amazon has made some assurance to CT that they will not stray away too much from the source material, and he and the estate will always have a input. Just like George R.R Martin and GOT showrunners.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Post #20 of 183 (6913 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit takes place before LOTR. Just sayin' // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

squire
Half-elven

Post #21 of 183 (6920 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

We've all been inured to the Estate (and Trust, set up to carry on after the first generation passes) adamantly refusing to 'approve' of the New Line films, and implying the Silmarillion rights will never be sold or released.

If the reporting is true, something has changed in the minds of the Tolkien family, including Mr. Christopher Tolkien.

I wonder if that lawsuit, about the rights to today's infinite variety of media-form spinoffs that a "film rights" deal back in the 1960s could not have conceived of, has convinced the family that they will have to get on board the 2020's media gravy train willingly, or ultimately be dragged under.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 13 2017, 7:02pm

Post #22 of 183 (6925 views)
Shortcut
So this is a spinoff series or LOTR prequel right? Not an adaptation? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those articles are a bit confusing.

If that is the case CrazyFrown

Hard to muster up much excitement for a 'Tolkien' series almost entirely made up by the screenwriters (moreover one that will have Amazon's corporate heads involved at every stage), I had a hard enough time trying to accept Jackson's subplots for the Hobbit films...

The one interesting thing I can see from this is that it might involve a completely new art and technical crew. Weta are great at what they do, and New Zealand is a gorgeous country, but as a Brit I kinda hope this might be an opportunity to bring LOTR home...

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 13 2017, 7:03pm

Post #23 of 183 (6916 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the rings one of the biggest selling novels [In reply to] Can't Post

such recognition is rare

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 7:04pm

Post #24 of 183 (6914 views)
Shortcut
There's a reason for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I noticed that all the media, comic book, fantasy, gossip, etc. sites have covered this news by extensively quoting from, but not linking to, the actual Amazon Press Release.

In my case, that's because this is the first time I've found a link to the press release. Thanks for that!

I don't think that this will be focused on the First Age. If it borrows from The Silmarillion at all (initially), it might be the Fall of Númenor. For now, though, I am still expecting this to be set mainly between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 13 2017, 7:07pm

Post #25 of 183 (6903 views)
Shortcut
Major stories between The Hobbit and War of the ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides young Strider's adventure, were there any big events or battles during that period?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.