The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Black speech in The Hobbit - Bolg

ProudFeet
Bree

Nov 12 2017, 10:31pm

Post #1 of 3 (4066 views)
Shortcut
Black speech in The Hobbit - Bolg Can't Post

I was wondering why there are some moments in The Hobbit movies where some of the Black speech isn't translated. It's a fascinating language that I believe was written as almost a complete language by Tolkien, and there are only a few moments in the films where it's not subtitled. Whilst it's still easy to suggest what the character of Bolg, for example, is still saying, I just found it curious. Two instances that come to mind are a moment in Desolation of Smaug when he sees the barrels going over the waterfall and a moment where he arrives at Ravenhill and commands his bodyguard. If anyone knows of any way to translate some of the Black speech in these scenes, I'd be very grateful.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 12 2017, 11:00pm

Post #2 of 3 (4054 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was wondering why there are some moments in The Hobbit movies where some of the Black speech isn't translated. It's a fascinating language that I believe was written as almost a complete language by Tolkien, and there are only a few moments in the films where it's not subtitled.

I don't have an answer for your question, though I am puzzled by your one statement. I'm not aware that Tolkien ever coined more than a few words and phrases of the Black Speech. That is very far from inventing a complete language. Most of the Black Speech in the films was invented for the films, not by Tolkien.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 12 2017, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 3 (4051 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was wondering why there are some moments in The Hobbit movies where some of the Black speech isn't translated. It's a fascinating language that I believe was written as almost a complete language by Tolkien, and there are only a few moments in the films where it's not subtitled.

I don't have an answer for your question, though I am puzzled by your one statement. I'm not aware that Tolkien ever coined more than a few words and phrases of the Black Speech. That is very far from inventing a complete language. Most of the Black Speech in the films was invented for the films, not by Tolkien.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.