The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Regarding Dialogue between Gandalf and Frodo

just_a_guy
The Shire

Nov 12 2017, 8:29pm

Post #1 of 6 (813 views)
Shortcut
     Regarding Dialogue between Gandalf and Frodo  

In Book 1 Chapter 2 , Gandalf says to Frodo that he is not warning him against leaving an address at the post office.

What did he mean by that?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 12 2017, 9:05pm

Post #2 of 6 (787 views)
Shortcut
     Foul! Trick question! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
In Book 1 Chapter 2 , Gandalf says to Frodo that he is not warning him against leaving an address at the post office.

What did he mean by that?

There is no such line of dialogue in The Fellowship of the Ring, Book I, Chapter 2. However, we do have this exchange in Chapter 3 "Three is Company":

'As for where I am going,' said Frodo, 'it would be difficult to give that away, for I have no clear idea myself, yet.'

'Don't be absurd!' said Gandalf. 'I am not warning you against leaving an address at the post-office! But you are leaving the Shire--and that should not be known, until you are far away. And you must go, or at least set out, either North, South, West or East--and the direction should certainly not be known.'

Maybe you've forgotten that the Shire does maintain a postal service (the Messenger Service) with the Mayor of Michel Delving serving as the Postmaster. Gandalf is certainly aware of it, and this is what he was referencing.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 12 2017, 9:06pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 12 2017, 10:29pm

Post #3 of 6 (760 views)
Shortcut
     There's also the "Quick Post" when it absolutely positively has to be there overnight. -- (Priority Express?) [In reply to]  

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2017, 10:46pm

Post #4 of 6 (755 views)
Shortcut
     "What if it has to be there last night?" asked Frodo preposterously./ [In reply to]  

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 12 2017, 11:05pm

Post #5 of 6 (748 views)
Shortcut
     Lol . . . Can't stop eh? [In reply to]  

Don't know if pre-posting would be allowed by the Mayor...

*heads back over yonder to post . . . something* Cool

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 13 2017, 2:19am

Post #6 of 6 (743 views)
Shortcut
     Hey there. I'm locking this thread [In reply to]  

and leaving a pointer to your duplicate one in the Reading Room so that people can reply to you there.

Cheers. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.