The LOTR Caption Contest CLXVIII

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 11 2017, 1:38am

Post #1 of 14 (24581 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR Caption Contest CLXVIII Can't Post

Many thanks to L. Ron!

In keeping with the Sacred Rules of the Fox, I present Nat Whilk--or rather "what." (I dare you to look that up).

Larger image, here: http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt1194.htm

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 11 2017, 9:56pm

Post #2 of 14 (24440 views)
Shortcut
"~Hobbits on my shoulders makes me happy. Hobbits almost always make me high~" // [In reply to] Can't Post

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 11 2017, 11:46pm

Post #3 of 14 (24435 views)
Shortcut
Yep, although that ol' Misty Mountain high [In reply to] Can't Post

works better for me.

You should construct a quiz/challenge for people to guess what parts John Denver, Cat Stevens and the whole 70's panoply could or should have played in P.J.'s Lotr.CrazyCool

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 12 2017, 12:51am

Post #4 of 14 (24422 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever seen that deleted scene from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory? Crazy stuff, I mean Grandpa Joe & Charlie smoke Wonka's stash of Old Toby and turn into trees! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

squire
Half-elven

Nov 12 2017, 2:31am

Post #5 of 14 (24419 views)
Shortcut
And there we laid cool in the shade singing songs and making love... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always thought that Cat Stevens was channeling aspects of Tolkien's romantic medievalism in some of his songs. The post has been lost to the sucking sands of time and technology, but I put this on the boards in early 2007:

A gardener's daughter stopped me on my way, on the day I was to wed
It is you who I wish to share my body with she said
We'll find a dry place under the sky with the flowers for a bed
And for my joy I will give you a boy with a moon and star on his head.

Her silver hair flowed in the air laying waves across the sun
Her hands were like the white sands, and her eyes had diamonds on.
We left the road and headed up to the top of the Whisper Wood
And we walked 'till we came to where the holy magnolia stood.

And there we laid cool in the shade singing songs and making love...
With the naked earth beneath us and the universe above.
The time was late my wedding wouldn't wait I was sad but I had to go,
So while she was asleep I kissed her cheek for cheerio.

The wedding took place and people came from many miles around
There was plenty merriment, cider and wine abound
But out of all that I recall I remembered the girl I met
'Cause she had given me something that my heart could not forget.

A year had passed and everything was just as it was a year before...
(As it was a year before...)
Until the gift that someone left, a basket by my door.
And in there lay the fairest little baby crying to be fed,
I got down on my knees and kissed the moon and star on his head.

As years went by the boy grew high and the village looked on in awe
They'd never seen anything like the boy with the moon and star before.
And people would ride from far and wide just to seek the word he spread
I'll tell you everything I've learned, and Love is all...he said.

-- from Catch Bull at Four, by Cat Stevens, 1972, A&M Records

I’ve had this song on a CD in the car for the past few days, and more than ever I think of Tolkien when I hear it. Do you?

Tolkieny things:
  • I think of Sam and the Gaffer when I hear “gardener’s daughter”
    Her description, the hair, hands and eyes, make me think of Goldberry.

• They leave the road and go to the top of a hill where a sacred tree is. Very Shire-like, see chapters 3-6 in FotR Book I.

• The wedding party reminds me of Bilbo’s birthday party (here it helps if you know the music – the lyrics are only part of the power of this song).

• The idea of something that the heart cannot forget has that Tolkienian folk-wisdom.

• The passage of time, when everything changes and nothing changes, reminds me of Legolas’s musing on how Elves perceive time.

• The repeated and overlapping lyrics and music in the fifth stanza (again, you have to hear it to get this) demonstrate how nothing has changed in a year. This is how Tolkien would have done it if Tolkien had been a hippie folk-rock singer in 1972.

• The moon and the star on the baby’s head reminds me of Smith of Wootton Major, though I can’t say why. I haven’t read that story in decades.

• The clever internal rhyming.

• The wife is totally, conspicuously absent from the story. This is probably the most bizarre aspect of the song, but surely is what makes it feel totally right. And in an odd way, totally Tolkien. Like Frodo never marrying, somehow.

Non-Tolkieny things:
  • The girl totally comes on to the guy out of nowhere. Talk about your 1970’s male adolescent fantasies.

• They get naked and have great sex outdoors.

• There is a baby born out of wedlock.

• The lesson is that “Love is all”. That’s not a Tolkien lesson, it’s a Tommy/Christ lesson.

My conclusion? This is kind of the story of how that Took hobbit-ancestor married that Fairy (Elf) and introduced elven blood into the Baggins family. I bet the Cat was thinking of this the whole time.

And your conclusion?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2017, 2:39am

Post #6 of 14 (24410 views)
Shortcut
Treebeard the Ent chats with Pippin the contortionist.// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by zarabia on Nov 12 2017, 2:41am)

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2017, 3:25am

Post #7 of 14 (24404 views)
Shortcut
Did you know Peregrin Took was three foot eight and could ride a tree? Well, he could!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 13 2017, 3:42pm

Post #8 of 14 (24269 views)
Shortcut
Well, it does make me think of Madrigals [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I didn't know this particular song, and the music isn't in the Madrigal vein, it really seems reminiscent of medieval love songs and poetry. And given the era, it's pretty likely he had Tolkien in mind, whether first or second-hand.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 13 2017, 7:49pm

Post #9 of 14 (24248 views)
Shortcut
"And a little family of Hobbits that climb up sometimes and it tickles me awfully. They're always trying to get somewhere —" / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Alveric
Lorien

Nov 15 2017, 2:26pm

Post #10 of 14 (24115 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to complain, but Merry says he's getting Dutch Elm Disease on his toes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 16 2017, 9:55pm

Post #11 of 14 (24013 views)
Shortcut
The winner, by [ahem] a foot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the biggest laugh of my day; and you're up next! Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2017, 1:57am

Post #12 of 14 (23856 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Glad I made you laugh :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a very pleasant surprise. Smile Thank you! I'll see what I can come up with. It's been a while since I last posted a screencap so I may need a little help. Tongue

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 19 2017, 2:18am

Post #13 of 14 (23853 views)
Shortcut
:) Easy decision! [In reply to] Can't Post

And for finding pics, if you hit "previous" or "next image" at my link, you'll find a bunch. But I'm guessing there must be an easier way than one at a time. The Text Index link on that page does have a list and descriptions.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2017, 6:25pm

Post #14 of 14 (23726 views)
Shortcut
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not heard John Denver is an ent's age...

Though the most memorable moment of Rocky Mountain High was coming down out of the Rockies on a road trip with friends and we stopped at this Hamburger Joint From Hell where a kid with no expression was slapping together burgers and there was a tiny window in this grim grey place and the view through the window was the Rockies... and the tinny radio was playing, what else, Rocky Mountain High...

Also have spoofed sunshine on my shoulders a few times...

sunscreen on my shoulders makes me happy
sunscreen in my eyes can make me cryyyyyyy
sunscreen on the water looks like Exxon
sunscreen always leaves me whiiiiiiite

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.