The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
It's odd

squire
Half-elven

Nov 10 2017, 11:16pm

Post #1 of 4 (836 views)
Shortcut
It's odd Can't Post

Lately I've been noticing a spattering of what look like chinese characters in posts wherever a single apostrophe and letter seem like they ought to be.

For instance, this is how I see NoWizardMe's recent post:

Looking through the archives, I find that posts as old as the boards, going back to 2007, now have the same set of funky-looking characters that I'm sure they didn't have when they were posted.

The problem reminds me of the 'News From Bree' articles that have the Euro sign inserted for all kinds of normal punctuation. But that was just that one posting site. This seems to be a universal thing.

Am I just seeing things?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2017, 11:44pm

Post #2 of 4 (813 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

NoWiz' post looks normal to me (no odd symbols), so I suspect this is something in your settings (on device or browser) that is using a different character set and can't recognize the quotes. Perhaps someone with more technical expertise than I can suggest ways to solve it.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2017, 4:50am

Post #3 of 4 (790 views)
Shortcut
I got that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw on odd character in the index page for Voronwe's user name (he was the most recent poster on a board) and just now in the 'who's online' interface

When I clicked on the past, his name was displayed correctly.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 11 2017, 5:26am

Post #4 of 4 (788 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahem... I just had to do that. SmileHeart

I'm betting it has to do with the internet browser(s) you and squire are using. The issue with News from Bree is that WordPress and the board software don't always speak to each other very well,particularly when translating things like quotation marks, umlauts over letters, etc. If an umlaut, or other non-standard mark-up, is cut an pasted into a user name or post, the boards usually handle it okay, but if it's translated from a WordPress news story to the boards it's definitely not okay. I think the same thin is happening in reverse with some browsers - for example the translation from the boards to Chrome, or whatever browser you're using, may not work right.

TORn hasn't changed, so the reason this may have just appeared is the browser software went through an update. A similar thing happened several years ago with Internet Explorer. The Advanced Editor used to work in both Firefox and Advanced Editor, but IE went through an update that left the code to be able to use Advanced Editor in the dust. There may be options to tell your browser to accept or translate certain problem text if you want to take the time to figure that out. Othewise, you can 1) alert them of the problem, or 2) hope it goes away with the next update.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.