Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
'Lord of the Rings' TV Series Being Considered By Amazon
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2017, 10:33pm

Post #201 of 210 (3575 views)
Shortcut
     Well that answers that... [In reply to]  

I didn't think he'd sign off on this. Though I hate the thought of the family going against his wishes (if that is what happened).

I'm shocked we didn't know about his resignation until now.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 14 2017, 10:34pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 11:38pm

Post #202 of 210 (3541 views)
Shortcut
     That makes me sad! [In reply to]  

Not necessarily because I know how he ran the estate or anything, but for the passing of the era that his resignation represents.

Here's to Christopher's tireless work bringing us his fathers unpublished works! Heart

"Behold! the hope of Elvenland,
the fire of Fëanor, Light of Morn
before the sun and moon were born,
thus out of bondage came at last,
from iron to mortal hand it passed."
-The Lay of Leithian

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 14 2017, 11:59pm

Post #203 of 210 (3534 views)
Shortcut
     Going out on a high note [In reply to]  

I think having successfully brought forth a stand-alone book of the most important (arguably) of the Great Tales, the one that was most meaningful to his father and that reflected the great love between his parents (for all the ups and downs that Ronald and Edith, like all partners, had), Christopher felt he could pass on the torch. Whether there was some element of knowing that this type of deal was inevitable that he needed to stand down to allow it to happen I don't know, and I don't know to.

Here's to Christopher and all of his stupendous work! Heart

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Silverlode
Forum Admin

Nov 15 2017, 12:26am

Post #204 of 210 (3500 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, I've been trying to reconcile [In reply to]  

this development with all that we've known till now of Christopher's views on adaptations, but this would explain a lot. He certainly deserves to enjoy a peaceful retirement at his age, and after all his work on his father's legacy. I hope this decision is not too frustrating for him and he's able to let go and at least be philosophical about it.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 15 2017, 1:02am

Post #205 of 210 (3501 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you!! [In reply to]  

I'm amazed at how you keep all of this halfway straight, and I'm no stranger to reading contracts.

By the way, my subject line: Hey Voronwe would have come across better if I'd punctuated it. I intended it to be, Hey, Voronwe! As in: Hey there, Voronwe! i didn't intend it to sound like a summons. Blush

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 15 2017, 2:43am

Post #206 of 210 (3472 views)
Shortcut
     I took it the way you meant it [In reply to]  

Heart

But I was also happy to share what I know.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

squire
Half-elven

Nov 15 2017, 3:29am

Post #207 of 210 (3466 views)
Shortcut
     Christopher Tolkien [In reply to]  

He has so faithfully represented his father in editing and publishing the elder's works, that it's almost as if J. R. R. Tolkien had two lifetimes, not one, in which to work on the Middle-earth legendarium. At least, that was how one tribute to CT's lifework put it.

Others have disagreed, noting that CT was essentially an editor, while JRRT was essentially a creative artist who, to some degree, needed more of an editor than he ever got while living. CT represents, in this thinking, a creative synergy rather than continuity with his father across a vast time span.

In either case, I agree that it is a hugely important moment in the world of Tolkien studies and Tolkien fandom for Christopher to finally lay his burden down - and for his heirs to take the family heritage in a completely new direction, within just a few weeks time.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 17 2017, 6:51am

Post #208 of 210 (3386 views)
Shortcut
     Great news [In reply to]  

I am positively excited to see that upcoming project and most probably watch another approach and vision to this fantastic story or the events that precede itHeart

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jun 4, 12:54pm

Post #209 of 210 (2572 views)
Shortcut
     WOW [In reply to]  

WOW

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4, 2:57pm

Post #210 of 210 (2550 views)
Shortcut
     Hi there! [In reply to]  

Been away for a while? Your last post was almost a year ago!

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.