How ready are you for Christmas?
Poll: How ready are you for Christmas?
I haven't even thought about Christmas shopping yet
I've got or planned one or two gifts already
Christmas present shopping is done!
I'm making all/most of my gifts
Christmas? Bah-humbug!
We don't celebrate Chrismas
Isn't it Christmas every day of the year?
The obligatory 'other'
View Results (28 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2017, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 15 (4519 views)
Shortcut
How ready are you for Christmas? Can't Post

An evil question, I know; but local stores are getting serious with Christmas decorations and gifts and I wondered where all our TORNsibs are on the Christmas sprectrum right now? (Mulitple answers allowed.)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2017, 3:15am

Post #2 of 15 (4448 views)
Shortcut
Nooo! It's too soon for Christmas music! [In reply to] Can't Post

And decorations in the stores! It really does spoil the season for me, this over-commercialization of what is actually supposed to be a lesser religious observance (its timing an amalgam of Lady Day and Saturnalia), if it was observed at all (Americans at the time of the Revolution thought it disgraceful the way Europeans celebrated it with parties). I need my turkey dinner before it begins!

We don't give many gifts anymore, just within the immediate family, and some small gift exchanges with friends. So I picked up some items during our summer vacation, and at local craft shows, things that were fun or unique. (Yes, after my rant above, I confess to purchasing Christmas gifts before it's even the proper season! Shocked) Laugh

Annael
Immortal

Nov 4 2017, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 15 (4395 views)
Shortcut
not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't have to be. All our Christmas decorations are in plastic storage boxes, ready to be hauled out the weekend after Thanksgiving, and at Thanksgiving we will pull names of which adult gives which other adult one present. The children all get gifts from everyone, of course.

Although I am hard at work practicing the music for our "Mother and Child"-themed December concerts, none of it is traditional Christmas music. We'll add some sing-along carols at the last minute.

This is my favorite piece, about Mary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvvhqatUacM

Ola Gjeilo loves contraltos, obviously; makes a nice change from all the pieces where the sopranos get all the glory.

tinkermarm
Bree

Nov 5 2017, 4:22am

Post #4 of 15 (4338 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to it. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the past few years now I've been wrapping up classes at school more or less up to the last few days before Christmas. Having finally graduated, I am looking forward to pulling out some old Christmas songs (a la Kemper Crabb, if anyone here has heard of him), drinking Christmas teas, and just enjoying the fact that I can sit back and appreciate that it's the holidays this year instead of scrambling at the last minute to do anything and forgetting about decorating altogether.

As for the more "commercial" Christmas stuff, eh, there I'd have to side with Charlie Brown. ;)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 5 2017, 10:38pm

Post #5 of 15 (4307 views)
Shortcut
Ha. Haha. Hahahaha . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I am the Queen of Procrastination. Get me a ring, and I'll drown the earth in perpetual lateness (Christmas on April 26 anyone?).Angelic

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Nov 5 2017, 10:38pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2017, 12:34am

Post #6 of 15 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Oh good, there's a sheet-music version! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13aOmZzRxnc

I appreciate being able to read along with the music. Written in Latin for a Norwegian Girl's Choir, I wonder what the words would be like in that language? I'll take the Alto 2, that's my range! Which part is yours?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2017, 12:35am

Post #7 of 15 (4292 views)
Shortcut
I remember those days. [In reply to] Can't Post

Scrambling to study for finals, while still trying to do some shopping! Oh yes, a HUGE relief when that's all over with, and you can just enjoy the holiday! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2017, 12:40am

Post #8 of 15 (4294 views)
Shortcut
But...but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...no one really knows when Jesus was born, December 25 (or January 6) are just dates that were assigned, based on common celebrations at those times.

So who knows, maybe April 26 IS the correct day? Shocked

Hey: how would we decorate for Christmas, if it took place in the Spring? Or Summer? Or Fall?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2017, 12:57am

Post #9 of 15 (4294 views)
Shortcut
If it's anything like NZ, [In reply to] Can't Post

still with holly and snow motifs in the middle of summer. Crazy

In Reply To
Hey: how would we decorate for Christmas, if it took place in the Spring? Or Summer? Or Fall?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 6 2017, 3:10am)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 6 2017, 1:20am

Post #10 of 15 (4291 views)
Shortcut
My Ring of Procrastination would still [In reply to] Can't Post

be powerful enough to throw it off. The Wise Men would be so late, they'd run into Alatar and Palando heading south, get hopelessly tangled up together, and confuse the whole narrative beyond, er, redemption! "Dad, where did the Wise Men come from?"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 6 2017, 1:55am

Post #11 of 15 (4283 views)
Shortcut
"Today? It's Christmas Day!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...no one really knows when Jesus was born, December 25 (or January 6) are just dates that were assigned, based on common celebrations at those times.

So who knows, maybe April 26 IS the correct day? Shocked

April 26 would probably be nearer to the real date than December 25, as any shepherd could likely tell you. Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2017, 2:07pm

Post #12 of 15 (4151 views)
Shortcut
I gather gifts [In reply to] Can't Post

or make my gifts throughout the year. So I think one or two more, and I'm all set.

My Baltimore daughter/son-in-law and I have a pact that we don't buy gifts for each other and concentrate on the kids. So I'll make something for them. My plan is to paint a picture of their new house on a barnwood board. She loves the rustic, folkart stuff :)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2017, 11:33pm

Post #13 of 15 (4108 views)
Shortcut
I work in an arts and crafts store [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am already 150% DONE DONE DONE with Xmas musak...

Frown

I make my stuff because too poverty stricken to buy stuff. Also artist. So I guess that works out. Maybe.

Left little fake tree forest up in living room, with lights and all. Thought about getting cut tree, then thought about making driftwood tree. Then thought about WHERE THE DO DAH AM I GONNA PUT IT????

Wish I could go find a nice tropical island for a month...

Dog sled hanging upside down in garage waiting for snow...

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Dec 13 2017, 2:11am

Post #14 of 15 (4004 views)
Shortcut
hoping to get everything done before i go home for the holidays... [In reply to] Can't Post

the day after tomorrow Shocked
Thankfully I have a fair idea of what I'm giving most people on my list, and purchased gifts are pretty much all bought. I'm fond of home-made and sentimental gifts, so I have a bunch of scrapbook pages to put together in the next couple days Unsure

NancyBonner

Jan 8 2018, 10:03am

Post #15 of 15 (3692 views)
Shortcut
christmas celebration [In reply to] Can't Post

All the people are very much excited for the Christmas celebration. But I would like to suggest, that's how differently, you can have the Christmas celebration. My sister believes in helping the needy people. So, at this Christmas, she had celebrated her Christmas with charities where they went to the orphanage to make the less fortunate people people.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 9 2018, 3:39am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.