Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why didn't Sauron have a human necromancer form?

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 3 2017, 2:15pm

Post #1 of 8 (5104 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't Sauron have a human necromancer form? Can't Post

I feel they wasted a established actor like Benedict Cumberbatch in Sauron's role. Could have dressed him up as a faceless necromancer. Just like this:

https://img00.deviantart.net/...achine86-d2yr15f.jpg

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Nov 3 2017, 2:25pm)
Attachments: necro1.jpg (29.3 KB)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 3 2017, 2:29pm

Post #2 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't needed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron did not seem to have a need for a human form in the film trilogy. He had no mortal servants outside of his Orcs, and he didn't need to hide his identity from them. Also, I think the conceit of the films is that Sauron is unable to assume a physical form again unless he regains the One Ring.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Nov 3 2017, 2:41pm

Post #3 of 8 (5065 views)
Shortcut
A ghostly figure [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, maybe not physical as you can touch him, but perhaps like the Nazgul? You see him as a being standing than a shadow. Dressed up like the picture I posted, so that people think he is really a human sorcerer.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 3 2017, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 8 (5058 views)
Shortcut
No motive. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Okay, maybe not physical as you can touch him, but perhaps like the Nazgul? You see him as a being standing than a shadow. Dressed up like the picture I posted, so that people think he is really a human sorcerer.

Sauron has no internal reason to do this. It would solely be targeted at the audience and it would not be driven by story logic.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2017, 2:47pm

Post #5 of 8 (4977 views)
Shortcut
Series continuity [In reply to] Can't Post

If Sauron has a human form in The Hobbit, then why didn't he have one in LOTR?

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 6 2017, 6:02pm

Post #6 of 8 (4961 views)
Shortcut
Sauron wasn't even in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

It was his understudy The Neck Romancer ... Wink

Well, actually no form for the Necromancer is mentioned in The Hobbit .. er, ok, book that is...

*BG goes off-topic?* Blush

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2017, 7:15pm

Post #7 of 8 (4946 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee wanted that Neck Romancer role in the worst way./ [In reply to] Can't Post

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 17 2017, 3:48pm

Post #8 of 8 (4744 views)
Shortcut
Correct [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman states it point blank in Fellowship as well.

Although I do dig that model that the OP posted. In fact I have it lol. I feel like that would have been cool to see, as it's more of a ghost that looks like a human than an actual human form, if that makes any sense.

1) FOTR 2) ROTK 3) AUJ 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Nov 17 2017, 3:49pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.