Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let me repeat this - the Hobbit moves were GREAT!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Argonnath

Dec 1 2017, 10:07pm

Post #26 of 29 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Just re-watched An Unexpected Journey last night [In reply to] Can't Post

Re-watched AUJ last night. Gonna watch DOS and BOFTA in the next couple days. I must say, despite their flaws, they're both still so enjoyable

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes, a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2017, 12:28am

Post #27 of 29 (2596 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching The Desolation of Smaug this evening... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I swear I flip flop endlessly on these films. Tonight, I must say I'm really enjoying watching DoS (Extended Edition). I think it depends on what mood I'm in. These movies are very different from LotR in many respects, but they retain the full heart inherent in the earlier films. You can sense the love that PJ, the cast and the crew have for moviemaking behind every frame.

Sometimes I don't like the heavy use of CGI over matte paintings, bigatures, etc., while at other times I marvel at the unique beauty WETA Digital's computer imagery brings to these films.

The storytelling in the films themselves is lighter. The tone is less intense - less grand epic ala David Lean and more lightfooted fairy tale adventure (not all unlike the comparison made of the books), albeit with some dark edges.

At the very least, regardless of my mood, I'll always take them over the majority of what passes for populist entertainment nowadays.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 2 2017, 12:30am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 2 2017, 7:01am

Post #28 of 29 (2575 views)
Shortcut
I watched [In reply to] Can't Post

Desolation of Smaug Extened Edition as well this evening and i must say that despite some minor flaws concerning a small list of mediocre effects and the editing of the last part,it is the definition of a great fantasy adventure-quest that came in our screen the last years.Personally, i really think that movie is the ultimate highlight of the whole trilogy.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Domien
The Shire

Jan 25 2018, 3:03pm

Post #29 of 29 (2065 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. In fact, I very recently wrote an article about my feelings on this trilogy. When I got to the end of it, I realized there were still many more things I could mention that I hadn't even written about:

http://geeksfromouterspace.com/...iminally-underrated/

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.