ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2017, 7:39am

Post #1 of 4 (882 views)
Shortcut
Recently Mozilla started telling me at login that Can't Post

"This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised."

and "Learn More" adds

If a login page for your favorite site is insecure, you can try and see if a secure version of the page exists by typing https:// before the url in the location bar. You can also try to contact the web administrator for the site and ask them to secure their connection. Not recommended: You can also continue to log in to the website even if the connection is insecure, but do so at your own risk. If you do go this route, try to use a unique password or a password that you don’t also use for other important sites.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I've been a TORn member for several years and have not had this problem before. Nor is it occurring on any other sites I visit.
Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Thag you bery much.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 25 2017, 3:14pm

Post #2 of 4 (849 views)
Shortcut
Not here, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I've been getting warings late at night (and only late at night) at IMDb.com that it might be a phishing site. I haven't figured out what's up with that, either.

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 25 2017, 10:54pm

Post #3 of 4 (820 views)
Shortcut
Not to worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Firefox started doing this a few months ago for all sites that don't have https as the start of their url (meaning it's a secured site where all communications between you and the site are encrypted). The purpose of the message is primarily to warn people if a site looks like a site you'd want to be secure (banking, email, etc.), but isn't really that site.

TORn doesn't have a compelling reason to be a 'secure' site as we don't handle financial transactions or store any personal information other than email addresses and TORn passwords. Your TORn password is encrypted as stored on the site, but during the few seconds you type it in, theoretically someone could steal it if they happened to be hacked into your computer or browser at the time. Possible solutions would be (with #s 1-3 being the most secure):

1) change your TORn password often
2) definitely do NOT use the same password at TORn that you use for your banking, email, etc. sites
3) make sure the internet connections you use when you log in anywhere are as secure as possible (for example, never log into your banking site when you're on Starbuck's free, guest wifi, at the library, etc.).
4) use the 'remember me' feature when you log into TORn which creates a cookie so you never have to log in unless you log out first (I use this feature)

You wouldn't see that Mozilla warning at any other site you visit unless it has http at the start of the url (as opposed to https), and you were trying to log in.

Here's the page on Firefox that explains the message (which I got by googling 'Insecure password warning in Firefox').

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 26 2017, 5:16am)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2017, 8:49am

Post #4 of 4 (763 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.