Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Filming for the Tolkien Biopic has begun

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 22 2017, 9:37am

Post #1 of 12 (872 views)
Shortcut
Filming for the Tolkien Biopic has begun Can't Post

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/...2?service=responsive

Still unsure how I feel about this (I've read conflicting reports as to what time period the film is exploring, is it pre or post-WW1? or a bit of both?) but those are good choices for the lead roles and it will certainly be interesting to see how this turns out.

squire
Half-elven

Oct 22 2017, 1:08pm

Post #2 of 12 (837 views)
Shortcut
OK, it's too early to really say anything [In reply to] Can't Post

We can assume all the mistakes in the press release are a combination of local-paper casualness and the film's desperate need to avoid all mention of The Silmarillion to a world audience that has never heard of it.

Who is the actor who is portraying Fr. Francis? I do hope he is not an Ian McKellen look-alike.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2017, 1:18pm

Post #3 of 12 (838 views)
Shortcut
Colm Meaney is Fr. Francis [In reply to] Can't Post

and he is excellent in "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain" (one of my I'd-watch-anytime movies).

He's quite different from Sir Ian, round-faced and curly-haired, and thick body-build. I expect him to bring a "ruggedness" to the role.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2017, 5:28pm

Post #4 of 12 (822 views)
Shortcut
No, sorry, Dernwyn, I think it's the other Colm Meaney, [In reply to] Can't Post

the one who played O'Brien in Star Trek TNG and Deep Space 9. But they'll both be perfect for a Fr. Francis.
Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2017, 8:56pm

Post #5 of 12 (809 views)
Shortcut
No, no, [In reply to] Can't Post

that's the one who's always walking around with his sleeves rolled up and fixing things! Wink

Fr. Francis tried to "break" the attachment between those two...Unsure

I'm intrigued by how he'll play the role.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 22 2017, 9:11pm

Post #6 of 12 (804 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to it [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree:

good choices for the lead roles

I'm not familiar with Lily Collins' work yet, but I've liked Nicholas Hoult in everything I've seen him in. I prefer when an actor 'disappears' into the character he portrays, yet is somehow memorable, and I think he does that very well.

Looking forward to this.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 31 2017, 10:34am

Post #7 of 12 (673 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I SO want this to be GREAT! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 31 2017, 10:35am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2017, 2:45pm

Post #8 of 12 (656 views)
Shortcut
Imagine my surprise... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was driving through the historic Wirral village of Port Sunlight not far from where I live this morning and found road closures, whacking great lights set up at the side of an area called 'The Dell', big wagons and general traffic confusion. Turns out they have been filming scenes for the biopic there - inside a place called Bridge Cottage and exterior scenes. They have also filmed elsewhere in Wirral at a place called Thornton Hough. When the film comes out I will have great fun playing 'spot the location'!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2017, 9:38pm

Post #9 of 12 (633 views)
Shortcut
Cool! And not only pleasure at spotting locations yourself, [In reply to] Can't Post

but forevermore you will also be the local tour guide of choice for visiting friends who are also fans. A cousin once took me to spend the day in the little town of Roslyn, Washington where Northern Exposure was filmed as Cicely, Alaska. Loved it - bought the KBHR mug! (This loooong video is a driving tour through the town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URo6Ck_hzt0 Don't know these folks, but they seem to have had a fine weekend.)

I've lost track of the number of times I've been tour guide to "Rivendell" at Kaitoke Park and the "Get off the road!" and 'breakfast with the wood elves' location on Mt Victoria. It's always a pleasure to be there and share them. Get yourself a picnic basket and thermos, and always have cake and/or biscuits, naturally. Be professional. Laugh
Have fun! (and post photos here when you can, please. Wink )

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2017, 2:51pm

Post #10 of 12 (573 views)
Shortcut
I used to love Northern Exposure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spent many happy hours watching it. Such a quirky collection of characters.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2017, 3:59pm

Post #11 of 12 (567 views)
Shortcut
*pinpoints location on Google Maps* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm...I wonder if you could find out, if they need some background atmosphere locals, for any outside shots? Cool

Yes, be prepared to give "tours" to friends who "just happen to be driving by..." Laugh

Interesting, that's almost right across the Mersey from the Yellow Submarine, I've been there!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2017, 11:16pm

Post #12 of 12 (546 views)
Shortcut
Yay Google maps and googling. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look what I found. http://portsunlightvillage.com/...orary-road-closures/ And you were there for it! They're evidently using the village for filming as a regular thing. I read that the village founder liked to use different English architectural styles throughout as he was building it, so it must suit various time periods as a stand in for other historic neighbourhoods which may no longer exist. After going down the roads with google maps and googling images for the places you mentioned, I feel that I've had a tour already and learned something about 19th C English social movements and town planning in the process. Thanks for this, Greenwood Hobbit!

Port Sunlight images: https://www.google.co.nz/...biw=1160&bih=653
Thornton Hough images: https://www.google.co.nz/...biw=1160&bih=653

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.