Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Readers, how many literary worlds do you reside in at once?
Poll: Readers, how many literary worlds do you reside in at once?
No, I’m a one-thing-at-a-time kind of reader
Yes, but no more than 2 things at once
Yes, 3 to 5 things
Yes, and I’ve lost count how many
No, don’t need my various titles to be different in type
Yes, I prefer to keep my current reading material dissimilar in type
Other
View Results (40 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2017, 5:51pm

Post #1 of 11 (4872 views)
Shortcut
Readers, how many literary worlds do you reside in at once? Can't Post

Most avid wordworms will agree that there is not time enough for all the things we want to be reading and that our TR list is ever growing. One could argue that by reading more than one story at once, you are doing the material a disservice by splitting your attention. Or not.

So I’m curious how many people read more than one thing at a time, not counting what you may be obligated to read for school or occupation. If you do read more than one thing at a time, how many? And does it need to be a particular mix? And do you have a book open beside you whilst you are scanning this? Wink

I tend to read no more than 3 things at once. My enjoyment suffers if I don’t keep them different species; I currently have bookmarks in a novel, a book of poetry and will seque into a short story if I come across something that intrigues me. And you?

Vote and enlighten us all!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 21 2017, 6:33pm

Post #2 of 11 (4827 views)
Shortcut
Several [In reply to] Can't Post

I overloaded on lit classes in school, so I don't mind having to jump between different worlds (I'm sure my sleep schedule would have said otherwise).

Right now I'm actively in 3 books, which all happen to be quite different. One is a novel, the other is a book about two books on film, and the last is a collection of interviews with a film director. I hit the pause button on two other books over the summer, as well as some poetry and diaries I still have bookmarked from earlier in the year.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 21 2017, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 11 (4817 views)
Shortcut
currently [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in Fillory, in WWII-era France, and on Dragaera.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 21 2017, 10:46pm

Post #4 of 11 (4790 views)
Shortcut
1 or 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually, I'm only reading one or two things at a time, but there have been exceptions.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2017, 3:05pm

Post #5 of 11 (4714 views)
Shortcut
Right now, I'm several places [In reply to] Can't Post

Egypt after Cleopatra's suicide; England during the Wars of the Roses; France during the Revolution; Israel during the Yom Kippor war; and again in the south of England just a couple of decades ago. I go back and forth between them all, depending on the length of time I have to dip into reading, and also depending on what kind of mood I'm in at the time. I have no trouble shifting back and forth.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2017, 3:32pm

Post #6 of 11 (4708 views)
Shortcut
Just curious, Elbereth [In reply to] Can't Post

You do not say whether you are reading fiction or non-. If it were all the latter, I would find it easy to navigate between these because they all fall within documented history. Not so if it’s fiction that’s fantasy.

This is one of the ways this genre is so different a reading experience. Because of the world-building in SF/F, learning your way around a contrived reality can be fun. But depending upon the amount of detail and how much they differ from one another, straddling more than one non-real world could deprive me of fully existing in any one. At least in my head it would.Crazy

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2017, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 11 (4610 views)
Shortcut
3 fiction, 2 non-fiction [In reply to] Can't Post

And no fantasy at this time, because I usually devour any SF/F as soon as I get them, therefore they don't make the long list! I'm waiting for a couple to make it into paperback because hardback is uncomfortable for me to read. I haven't graduated to an e-reader and may never.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 23 2017, 8:35pm

Post #8 of 11 (4576 views)
Shortcut
Normally one at a time [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now I'm trying to read 3 books (2 fiction & 1 non-fic/how-to), and I'm failing miserably!Blush Really, only one is getting sufficient attention to actually be read, and that is "The Two Towers." I might have finished it by now, if only I wasn't working for a living & trying to write a 2nd novel, LOL!

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 30 2017, 9:52am

Post #9 of 11 (3726 views)
Shortcut
The best thing about ereaders is being able to read multiple books simultaneously [In reply to] Can't Post

Currently:
- Roald Dahl: A Biography
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- The Guns of August
- Aubrey/Maturin series (currently on Treason’s Harbour)
- WW I alternative history
- Ender’s Shadow series
- Betty Zane
- Paul Anderson’s Psychotechnic League
- Kimagure Orange Road manga

Reading more than one at a time certainly slows my progress through each but I’m catching bits as the mood for each strikes me and for some of these, it’s a reread so speed isn’t exactly important. There would be a History of Middle-Earth edition in the list too but I like to read things in order of publication and I’m missing a volume. (Yes, I know, sad and kind of OCD.)

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Dec 13 2017, 2:06am

Post #10 of 11 (3315 views)
Shortcut
Somewhat depends on what the material is [In reply to] Can't Post

I read a lot of fan fiction, and there I usually read one or two tales at a time; if it's two I alternate between them because one has more tension/drama than I can handle at a time - and the other is usually pretty light-hearted.
I'll often have a physical book on the go as well. I don't usually read more than one physical book at a time, and these will vary from pretty near any kind of fiction to essays to biography to theology/philosophy. I'm currently in the middle of a theological book.
I also dabble in reading manga; this is usually one story at a time.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2018, 2:35pm

Post #11 of 11 (3078 views)
Shortcut
eh, waht? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a pile of reading on my table, though much of it now is non-fiction nature/environment based.

I usually read one book at a time.

...but inhabit many worlds: there are the couple of TV series (usually BBC/PBS things like SHerlock or Dr. Who or Poldark or Victoria) so I am usually going "eh, what century is this now?"

Also movies (and I only do the most significant ones) so it's like "ah, Thor, no, the guy with the whale, no wait, Snow White?" And I forget if Batman should hang out with Black Panther or Wonder Woman...

and why is Kili so taaaaaaaaalll...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.