Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What would be different if PJ did not have to "wing" The Hobbit movies?

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 20 2017, 8:51am

Post #1 of 11 (5560 views)
Shortcut
What would be different if PJ did not have to "wing" The Hobbit movies? Can't Post

I just watched the section of the appendices of BOTFA where PJ admits that he had not enough time for preparation and was making it up as he went along, which feels really honest and sad. What do you think would have been different if PJ had enough prep time?

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 20 2017, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 11 (5505 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of the famous quote... [In reply to] Can't Post

...(variously attributed to most of the usual suspects): "I apologize for the length of this letter. If I had had more time, I would have written a shorter one."

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 20 2017, 2:40pm

Post #3 of 11 (5505 views)
Shortcut
Same gripe, different reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Everybody knows PJ does sooo much better under the pressure of a deadline. If only he’d hadn’t had so much time to second guess himself the movies would have been *perfect*!"

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 20 2017, 3:23pm

Post #4 of 11 (5494 views)
Shortcut
If Jackson had decided to direct the films right from the beginning... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm sure that they would have been different. However, I don't think we can accurately guess what his approach would have been or how things would have turned out.

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Oct 20 2017, 10:27pm

Post #5 of 11 (5449 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely we wouldn't have got so much cgi...?

I was mortified when these films came out - I have softened quite a bit with them. I just watch them as "The Hobbit films" rather than the "LOTR's prequels" and they work better for me.

Cool

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 21 2017, 5:08am

Post #6 of 11 (5419 views)
Shortcut
PJ is a deadline junkie... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's true. You only have to watch the LOTR specials. But there they had a master plan. They changed details everyday but they had a plan.

I like the beginning of AUJ. If his was long planned I wish that he had more time for the rest.

When they changed it to 3 films he needed an end for film 2. And that very fast. And that went totally wrong in my opinion.

Noria
Gondor

Oct 22 2017, 12:26pm

Post #7 of 11 (5239 views)
Shortcut
When we talked about this a few months ago [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua said

"Tongue-in-cheek hyperbole is common among Kiwis - a way of injecting humour into stressful situations. I wouldn't take PJ's phrasing here literally."

And I said

".......Peter Jackson's style of filmmaking is organic and chaotic – he has a vision, a plan and a screenplay but on the day will deviate from the latter two if a better idea comes up.........

What I remember from back then is that the first portions of the movies were pretty well planned out but they had to start production before they did anything about the Battle of Five Armies sequence. PJ always knew that he had a break (in filming at least) after principle photography was completed so he had time to plan that out then."

glor
Rohan

Oct 22 2017, 7:43pm

Post #8 of 11 (5204 views)
Shortcut
A plan yes bu,t with the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

The plan was not PJs.

It's not if had more time to film, it's that he had no time to prepare, he didn't have a plan only Del Toro's.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 23 2017, 6:51am

Post #9 of 11 (5165 views)
Shortcut
I did not like the battle... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, right, he took time for the BOTFA..hmm, didn't like the outcome. So I guess more time would have changed much in general.

I think that PJs vision was in one point very different from that of LOTR. Realism! That's the main reason for me that the six films do not fit together. The Hobbit movies are not believable.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Oct 25 2017, 6:23am

Post #10 of 11 (5058 views)
Shortcut
I've never believed... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that Peter's comment about having to "wing" the Hobbit films was anything more than a wistful observation...

... which is to say that I honestly don't think more "prep time" would have had any significant effect on the films in terms of their design of content.

Name
Rohan

Nov 14 2017, 10:30pm

Post #11 of 11 (4739 views)
Shortcut
Who knows [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson said they were operating without storyboards, making up scenes while shooting. That's pretty nuts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.