Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Can you spot the error on first read? I hope so!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 17 2017, 1:58am

Post #1 of 12 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Can you spot the error on first read? I hope so! Can't Post

http://web.sbu.edu/...tolkien's_second.htm

A big minus check mark.......grade, C-

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17 2017, 2:19am

Post #2 of 12 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Which one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see several errors (including errors of omission) starting with the fact that Sauron suffered a number of defeats during the Second Age. I am guessing that you are referring to this:

Elves of Numenor send an army to Middle-earth against Sauron.

It was of course the Men of Númenor, led by Ar-Pharazôn, that defeated Sauron and brought him back with them as a captive.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

squire
Half-elven

Oct 17 2017, 2:35am

Post #3 of 12 (1633 views)
Shortcut
The entire site is rather casually done. [In reply to] Can't Post

Along with the Numenor blooper (a big one), there are typos, odd omissions as Otaku notes, and a general sense of it having been thrown together from other internet sources.

We all make mistakes, and Tolkien's legendarium is huge, complex, and difficult to master. But this is, as far as I can see, an academic site put out by a professor who teaches a course involving Tolkien and the other Inklings, to be used as a reference by his students. It hasn't been updated since 2006, and I suspect it's basically dormant. He does ask for comments and corrections - any takers?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 17 2017, 2:37am

Post #4 of 12 (1629 views)
Shortcut
A quick glance and #3 jumped out at me......a rather critical mistake. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17 2017, 2:56am

Post #5 of 12 (1622 views)
Shortcut
More misinformation [In reply to] Can't Post

And a glaring one at that:

Elves are counseled to return to the west. But rather than going again to Valinor they go to the islands of Eressea and Numenor.

What Elves colonized Númenor? The Númenóreans were Men; granted, their first king was Elros, the brother of Elrond.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 17 2017, 3:03am

Post #6 of 12 (1620 views)
Shortcut
It is hard to make such glaring mistakes if one is at the least bit [In reply to] Can't Post

familiar with the topic. Imagine any other subject with such errors:

"After Washington defeated Lee at the battle New Orleans the south capitulated...."

"FDR dropped the atomic bombs on North Korea to force them to declare a ceasefire."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 17 2017, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 12 (1543 views)
Shortcut
In the Civil War my great great grandfather fought for the West.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 17 2017, 6:54pm

Post #8 of 12 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Mine fought to preserve the union suit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically great great grandmother's.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 17 2017, 9:06pm

Post #9 of 12 (1512 views)
Shortcut
Her's musta had a front door :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf to Denethor

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 17 2017, 9:47pm

Post #10 of 12 (1508 views)
Shortcut
And while our minds close in on gutter-bound... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reminded of my brother the hunter (I'm NOT). Whenever he spots a pile of bear poop he sticks a few sheets of toilet paper on top. Tongue

No humor in this family . . . Wink

*Ducks for cover*

Gandalf to Denethor

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 18 2017, 1:56am

Post #11 of 12 (1489 views)
Shortcut
The Elves of Numenor, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushMad

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 18 2017, 2:04am

Post #12 of 12 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Mine published the Lincoln Log: [In reply to] Can't Post

a timeline of our 331/3 president (also available in 45 RPM).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.