Daniel Falconer: Middle-earth from Script to Screen Book
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 17 2017, 12:50pm

Post #1 of 44 (3770 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Falconer: Middle-earth from Script to Screen Book Can't Post

or The Making Of Middle-earth will be published in the next days.
Amazon.de already sent out the book.

I'm hoping for a lot of new LOTR stuff.

https://www.amazon.de/...Hobbit/dp/0062486144 (11 images)
https://www.amazon.de/...king+of+middle+earth
https://www.wetanz.com/shop/books-movies-tv/middle-earth-from-script-to-screen (10 images)

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Oct 17 2017, 12:55pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 17 2017, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 44 (3677 views)
Shortcut
I am really excited for this book! [In reply to] Can't Post

But since I am in the US, I won't be seeing it for another monthFrown But still excited none the less.

I am hoping for some new LOTR stuff as well. I am just extremely excited for a coffee table book finally like this!Heart

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 19 2017, 4:03am

Post #3 of 44 (3594 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to get this one! I've had it on pre-order since... uhhhh... February-ish! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 19 2017, 12:13pm

Post #4 of 44 (3566 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping to preorder it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep hinting to my mom as a graduation gift Wink!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2017, 1:53am

Post #5 of 44 (3510 views)
Shortcut
oooo... great idea :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got notice today from Amazon.UK that they shipped it out today... and that I've been reimbursed a proper chunk of money since the price was reduced as of February.

Oh... I hope your Mom is really good at suggestions! And EARLY HAPPY GRADUATION!!!!! :D *geeky hand clapping*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 21 2017, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 44 (3451 views)
Shortcut
Oh yay!! I'm so excited for you!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you so much! Its helps that my mom is also a Tolkien fan herself!Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2017, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 44 (3437 views)
Shortcut
You tell your Mom [In reply to] Can't Post

that your gramma said it was a perfect present! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 21 2017, 11:12pm

Post #8 of 44 (3433 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I sure will!! [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartHeartHeartHeart

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2017, 12:10pm

Post #9 of 44 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Hey gramma, did you receive your copy of the book yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm itching to know!Wink(even though, I honestly enjoyed all the books from Weta so I know this will not disappoint!)Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 27 2017, 12:40pm

Post #10 of 44 (3344 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Yes! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I was just coming here to tell you.... IT'S HERE! It came yesterday from the UK! OMG! It's absolutely incredible! I've gathered the other books from Weta, too... and this one had me gasping before I even cracked open the page! Even the Table of Contents is unique. It's a big, heavy book of awesomeness! It's packed with photos, sketches, comments and text that walk you through each of the films' sets (Shire, Lindon, Mirkwood, etc.) and what went into bringing them to life. It even has 2 pages showing just the faces of the Hobbiton homes.

For example: Rivendell [pgs 90-115]. There are inserts and sections that cover:

The description of Rivendell and its place in the story.
The House of Elrond
Elrond (bio)
Elves of Rivendell
miniatures and full sets [complete with production photos]
...Example of text: "'Rivendell was the second miniature we made for The Lord of the Rings. Alan [Lee] didn't arrive with absolute certainty about the layout, so as we built the miniature he actually used it to map out the shapes, which was a very lovely thing to witness.' Richard Taylor."
conception and production info
Actors' comments
Rivendell recreated for The Hobbit films
Bill the Pony [his connection to Rivendell]
Art Direction
Elrond's Chamber and Balcony
The Man in the Moon [how the song was laced into the film by Bofur]
Narsil and Anduril
Heirlooms of Middle-earth
Dwarves' accommodations in Rivendell
Some details of Arwen's room
Elrond's Observatory
Thorin's map
Gilraen and Gilraen's Grave
The Ring of Barahir
Rivendell forge [with examples of tools]
White Council Chamber [including Lee's overhead/layout sketch]
Lindir

Okay... this has been a quick synopsis of just the chapter on Rivendell. Of course, there's varying degrees of coverage for each chapter and location... but I've only had time to look through the book for about an hour last night ;)

This is a serious read that will transport you into this world and the people who made it happen. I'm glowing with contentedness and awe.

Hurry! Tell your Mom! :D Even she will be gah-gah over this one! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 27 2017, 12:51pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 27 2017, 12:53pm

Post #11 of 44 (3327 views)
Shortcut
Oh my!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! That sounds so INCREDIBLE!!! Okay, I am even more excited than I was before!(And I was pretty excited! lol)

I'm so happy that they had made a book about the whole film story of Tolkien's marvelous world. The Weta books for the Hobbit and the Making of book for the LOTR's were great, (I have quite a fewWink) but I'm so thrilled that this book is coming!

I'm so glad that you are so happy with this book!!HeartHeart

My mom knows how much I'd love to have it, and has promised that I will probably have my own copy by the day it is released (Nov 21) I even told her that I would help pay for it has well. Smile My mom is very understanding over LOTR's( as I said before, she's a fan as well!)

Last year the week of Thanksgiving, I had borrowed a Harry Potter book about all the characters, and it was quite memorable looking at that while preparing for our Thanksgiving meal, so I'm kind hoping for something similar this year(This time looking at my favorite topic!Wink)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 27 2017, 1:03pm

Post #12 of 44 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Oh good :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I also love the Potter books and films! I'll have to check that book out, too ;)

*hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 27 2017, 1:06pm

Post #13 of 44 (3319 views)
Shortcut
My younger sister is a huge Harry Potter fan! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've borrowed a giant Potter book from the library a few months ago particularly because I knew she would love it since she loves anything "Harry Potter."

I just love coffee table books! They are amazing!

HeartHeartHeart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 27 2017, 3:41pm

Post #14 of 44 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Early Development? [In reply to] Can't Post

What I've been wanting to know: does this book throw a light on the early development of the films, when Guillermo del Toro was still in the director's chair? I've been anxious to see more of the early pre-production art including del Toro's version of Smaug. I know that a 6-foot tall maquette of the dragon was made, but I've never seen an image of it. I've been fervently hoping we would see that and other early concept art in this book.

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 28 2017, 10:39am

Post #15 of 44 (3267 views)
Shortcut
Anything new from LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Deleted Scenes of LOTR or anything like that which was not published before???

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Oct 28 2017, 10:44am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 3:40pm

Post #16 of 44 (3255 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Omission! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, my question was directed specifically towards the Hobbit films. I suspect that was already fairly clear.

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 6:17pm

Post #17 of 44 (3244 views)
Shortcut
I knew what you meant :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've been looking through the chapters that would cover early GdT contributions; but there's nothing so far. I haven't had time to go through much more, but I'll keep an eye open. So far, the book focuses on the films' sets/locations and how they were created and is seeded with contributing parts of the story. It covers what led up to the finished product, not the entire history of how the films were came about. More in the format of the other Weta books.

BUT it's so incredible and detailed. Very high quality pictures and tidbits of how each part of the stories came about :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 6:21pm

Post #18 of 44 (3241 views)
Shortcut
Not that I've seen so far. [In reply to] Can't Post

Take a look at my response to Otaku-sempai just below your question :) where I kind of explain how the book covers the various locations and what went into making the films.

I would LOVE to see deleted scenes and other production notes, but so far I haven't seen any. I've only had a short time to look through the book, but I'll let you know if I find anything :D I keep getting slowed down by the eye-popping pictures :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 6:32pm

Post #19 of 44 (3251 views)
Shortcut
TABLE OF CONTENT EXAMPLE [In reply to] Can't Post

In case the link isn't working, here's another one for the Table of Content example .

Check out my Yes! Yes! response to OldestDaughter for a description of how the Rivendell Chapter is put together :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 28 2017, 6:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 6:41pm

Post #20 of 44 (3240 views)
Shortcut
That's a shame. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been hoping for more coverage of the early stages of development of the Hobbit movies including during the period when the 'bridge film' was being considered. Maybe we'll see that in some future volume.

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 28 2017, 7:01pm

Post #21 of 44 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your reply. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if we will ever see EVERYTHING of Lotr.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 7:04pm

Post #22 of 44 (3234 views)
Shortcut
The Cold Fells! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In case the link isn't working, here's another one for the Table of Content example .

It's too bad that map on the Contents page doesn't show more of the Misty Mountains On the other hand, this is the first map I've seen that gives a good idea of the location of the High Fells of Rhudaur. The High Fells seem to be about one hundred miles or so north of Rivendell, in the Misty Mountains bordering the Ettenmoors, near the source of the River Hoarwell. Their placed on the eastern side of the range, but I suspect they were originally supposed to be closer to the western side.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 28 2017, 7:07pm)

squire
Half-elven

Oct 28 2017, 9:52pm

Post #23 of 44 (3209 views)
Shortcut
What are the 'High Fells'? [In reply to] Can't Post

I recognized your reference to the Cold Fells [sic] - that is the land where Aragorn's father was killed by trolls, in 'The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.' (It is a single word, not two):
Arador was taken by hill-trolls in the Coldfells north of Rivendell and was slain; - LotR App A.I.v., bold by squire
Now, maybe it's too much of a leap, but I've always taken that reference to be the same place as what Aragorn himself names, in Fellowship, as the 'troll-fells'. My feeling was, basically, how many different 'fells' can we really have 'north of Rivendell', when just one is shown on the map? For Aragorn says the troll-fells is just another name for the Ettenmoors:
'We have now come to the River Hoarwell, that the Elves call Mitheithel. It flows down out of the Ettenmoors, the troll-fells north of Rivendell, and joins the Loudwater away in the South.' - LotR I.12., bold by squire
Later, at the Council, Gandalf makes the same equation: the troll-fells are the Ettenmoors, which he traversed on his way back to Rivendell after escaping the Riders. The Ettenmoors, of course, are on Tolkien's Middle-earth map, right up there 'north of Rivendell' just as advertised.

Now you, and the mapmaker for the book's clever Contents page, seem to know something about a place called the 'High Fells'. I've never heard of that variation on the Coldfells/troll-fells, or neighboring formation, or whatever it's supposed to be. Where in his writings does Tolkien name it?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28 2017, 11:02pm

Post #24 of 44 (3204 views)
Shortcut
Reference to the Hobbit films [In reply to] Can't Post

Squire, you've never heard any of the references to the High Fells of Rhudaur in Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies? This is where the Nazgűl were entombed, probably at the beginning of the four hundred years of watchful peace that Elrond refers to in Rivendell (as opposed to Tolkien's Watchful Peace, T.A. 2063-2460, which covered a different period of time and represented the period when Sauron fled into the East to avoid discovery by Gandalf).

The tombs at the High Fells was the location that Gandalf and Radagast visit in The Desolation of Smaug before they continue on to Dol Guldur. According to the map in Falconer's book it is actually a bit north (and east) of the Coldfells.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 28 2017, 11:05pm)

squire
Half-elven

Oct 28 2017, 11:49pm

Post #25 of 44 (3187 views)
Shortcut
Ah, that explains it. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I know nothing of the latter two films.

I wonder why they even bothered to rename the location? Coldfells....troll-fells...Ettenmoors: all evocative and suitably mythical names that were available and correct for, if not The Hobbit, at least for The Lord of the Rings.

As for the invented "High Fells" location on the map, all the places seem to be just about anywhere the artist wants them to be. Hobbiton is closer to the Grey Havens than it is to Buckleberry Ferry, and the Ettenmoors are, absurdly, due north of the Midgewater Marshes. I would be leery of thinking of this map as any kind of indicator where anything "is actually" in terms of Tolkien's actual Middle-earth.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.