The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
How would you feel about a CGI Saruman?

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Oct 13 2017, 9:45pm

Post #1 of 5 (943 views)
Shortcut
How would you feel about a CGI Saruman? Can't Post

If new ME movies are coming and the studio wanted to use Saruman by using CGI to have him back, just like what Rogue One did with Tarkin, how would you feel about that?

squire
Half-elven

Oct 14 2017, 1:07am

Post #2 of 5 (925 views)
Shortcut
Why stop with Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I understand you, CGI would provide a new movie with a Christopher Lee simulacrum that could play Saruman.

But aren't the other mainline actors from the Tolkien franchise getting older? or perhaps would be unavailable for a new film? Or perhaps are too old to play a 'younger' version of their characters, if the new film is a prequel to the current films?

If so, why not CGI them, as well? What could be the harm? Fans would get what they want: a Tolkien Cinematic Universe that could, potentially, run forever.

If it's not clear, I actually don't like this idea. The character is the thing in any kind of decent film, I think, so casting a new actor who can convincingly portray the character of the writer's imagination (Tolkien, or the screenwriter, it's the same at this level) is what counts. Or what should count.

I think cinematic universes are based on comic books, where the artists can draw the same character for decades without a problem. Film is different, and trying to do eternal characters with mortal actors is, I would guess, a recipe for disaster and also against what the medium of film is all about.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 16 2017, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 5 (836 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have a couple of reservations. First, would the Lee estate approve and receive appropriate compensation? Second, would the motion-capture actor be of equal skill and presence as Sir Christopher? (For example, the virtual Peter Cushing in Rogue One was body doubled by the distinguished Royal Shakespeare Company actor Guy Henry. I would hate for the underlying performance of Saruman to be done by some random studio intern, or worse, Jim Carrey.)

So if the Lee estate is on board and the body double’s bonafides are comparable, why not? Of course Rogue One’s Grand Moff Tarkin was plagued by the usual off-kilter eyelines, subtle facial distortions, and plastic skin problems common with all virtual actors, so expect the same with virtual Saruman. Many critics found his presence in scenes distracting even when side-by-side with totally cgi aliens. (They found Princess Leia, body doubled by the relatively inexperienced actress Ingvild Deilaan, even moreso.) So expect complaints.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Wainrider
Rivendell

Oct 29 2017, 2:12am

Post #4 of 5 (640 views)
Shortcut
CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Tarkin looked horrible and it was very easy to tell he was fake.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 17 2017, 4:18pm

Post #5 of 5 (542 views)
Shortcut
As a huge fan of Sir Christopher [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be perfectly fine with that. I can't imagine anyone else playing Saruman and Rogue One pulled off Cushing perfectly. No one I saw the film with knew he was fake until I told them. My dad even commented that it was cool that they brought back the Tarkin actor, haha.

1) FOTR 2) ROTK 3) AUJ 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Nov 17 2017, 4:19pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.