The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
What does the Ring say?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 9 (4212 views)
Shortcut
What does the Ring say? Can't Post

Fellowship of the Ring. Gandalf and Frodo have just thrown the Ring into the fire, read the inscription, and now the Ring is on the Bag End kitchen table. Frodo says 'But he was destroyed - Sauron was destroyed!', Then the Ring seems to say something, and both Gandalf and Frodo look at it.

I've never quite been able to work out what it says: my best guess is 'Isildur' (which would make a certain kind of sense). But does anyone know better?

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

squire
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 9 (4176 views)
Shortcut
Maybe nothing we are supposed to understand? [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked at IMDB's representation of the script, which gives this direction:

[Gandalf:] The ring has awoken. It has heard its master's call.

AT THAT MOMENT: A FLEETING, LOW WHISPER of BLACK SPEECH emanates from the Ring. Frodo looks at Gandalf, each knowing the other has heard it.

If this is correct, I would assume the Black Speech fragment was some appropriate word or two from the Ring Spell ("Ash nazg", etc.) which is the most prominent example of the Black Speech given in the entire book.

Since the essence of the scene is kind "Did you hear that?" "Hear what?", it would seem to be important that the audience not be able to make sense of it. So "Isildur" or anything else we could recognize would be a little counterproductive, dramatically speaking.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 7:57pm

Post #3 of 9 (4161 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

So some actor had to go into the recording booth and do “words nobody can catch”. Smile
But certainly, it works just fine if the audience isn’t sure what they heard.

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

squire
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 9:43pm

Post #4 of 9 (4154 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... what could the film's writers have meant by "the Black Speech"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien only gave us four lines, being the part of the Ring-spell that fit onto the Ring and glowed in fire-like writing when the Ring is heated in Frodo's fire. However, it seems the film's language guy, David Salo, has produced the full spell in the Black Speech, or 'neo-Black Speech' as he might put it:

Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard guruthu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatuluk
Ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatuluk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu

Now, Tolkien's or Carl Hostetter's opinion of Salo's work be damned, when I found this, I rushed back to the scene we've been talking about, and listened to that little snip of speech with these earlier lines in front of me. This is the film-verse, after all. But, alas, I still can't match whatever "some actor in the recording booth" said to any of the words above! I can't say it sounds like "Isildur", either, though. I hear "...a-RE-dol..." or something like that.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 14 2017, 7:45am

Post #5 of 9 (4105 views)
Shortcut
So perhaps they just got the actor to make “sound effects” [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m now thinking that an actor could have been recorded saying scripted words, or the sound mixers could have taken some recordings of syllables and made it sound good, without ending up with anything that had a meaning.

There’s a sense in which it’s creepier if we don’t know what the Ring said!

~~~~~~

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 14 2017, 11:27pm

Post #6 of 9 (4050 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we should as the fox what the ring says. [In reply to] Can't Post

"What does the fox say?"

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 15 2017, 11:08am

Post #7 of 9 (4001 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it make more sense played backwards...? :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of us are probably old enough to remember a controversy about whether popular songs such as Stairway to Heaven contained secret messages if played backwards.

On a straw poll, at least, I found that once people knew what the words in Stairway were supposed to be, then they could hear them, kinda. But not before someone had suggested it. Maybe me hearing 'Isildur' is a similar psychological phenomenon of trying too hard to fit meaning to just sounds.

BTW - if anyone wants a go at the Stairway to heaven thing, here is the relevant clip of the song played backwards: https://en.wikipedia.org/...File:STH_reverse.ogg

...and this section of the Wikipedia article describes the controversy and tells you what the 'secret message' is supposed to be about. https://en.wikipedia.org/...laims_of_backmasking

~~~~~~

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 17 2017, 1:36pm

Post #8 of 9 (3849 views)
Shortcut
OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

The fox says "Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding"!

This means something!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 19 2017, 4:57pm

Post #9 of 9 (3744 views)
Shortcut
"Are we there yet?" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.