Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Armies of Dol Amroth should have been included in ROTK.

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Oct 12 2017, 8:53pm

Post #1 of 7 (667 views)
Shortcut
Armies of Dol Amroth should have been included in ROTK. Can't Post

I hate how weak the gondorian soldiers were portrayed in the last movie. The movie would have benefit of having the Swan knights saving the day then the ghost army.
Also, having Beregond to show not all of Gondor are weak. The guy that supposed to play Imrahil in the movie, could have been this character.
The Ghost Army can show up when Sauron releases the wraiths from the Barrow Downs in his final desperate attempt to seize victory.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Oct 12 2017, 8:55pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 10:21pm

Post #2 of 7 (640 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and the Southern Fiefs [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I would have had Aragorn mobilize southern Gondor as he does in the novel. He would have released the Dead Men of Dunharrow after taking the Corsair fleet and brought Gondorian reinforcements to aid Minas Tirith and not the Army of the Scrubbing Bubbles.

I agree with you about Beregond; I also wish that he and his son could have been in Jackson's The Return of the King.

There are no Wraiths imprisoned in the Barrow-downs. The Barrow-wights are a different sort of undead and are too far away to factor into the final battle at the Gates of Mordor.

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” -- The Doctor

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Oct 12 2017, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 7 (637 views)
Shortcut
Barrow Downs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want every adaptation to be as much faithul to the source material as possible. But taking the liberty of having the barrow downs wraiths as a force Sauron can use, is not in my opinion a bad idea.
Sauron in his tower using the black speech magic to awaken the wraiths, and sends them to slaughter the reinforcement, but the ghost comes in the nick of time and eradicate them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 11:16pm

Post #4 of 7 (635 views)
Shortcut
Again, what Wraiths? [In reply to] Can't Post

The only Wraiths that we know about are the Nazgūl, the nine Ring-wraiths.

I would have very much liked to see the Barrow-wights in the Fellowship of the Ring movie and even without Tom Bombadil that might have worked--either as an alternate way of introducing Strider, or with the Wandering Company of Gildor Inglorion rescuing the Hobbits.

But, I repeat, Wights ain't Wraiths.

Victariongreyjoy
Rivendell

Oct 13 2017, 3:02pm

Post #5 of 7 (592 views)
Shortcut
Maybe just make them some lesser wraiths? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The only Wraiths that we know about are the Nazgūl, the nine Ring-wraiths.

I would have very much liked to see the Barrow-wights in the Fellowship of the Ring movie and even without Tom Bombadil that might have worked--either as an alternate way of introducing Strider, or with the Wandering Company of Gildor Inglorion rescuing the Hobbits.

But, I repeat, Wights ain't Wraiths.

Taking the liberty of changing them from wights to lesser wraiths? Just a thought.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 13 2017, 4:40pm

Post #6 of 7 (587 views)
Shortcut
Ch-ch-ch-changes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Taking the liberty of changing them from wights to lesser wraiths? Just a thought.

Yeah, a screenwriter could certainly do that. But I don't see any need for it from a storytelling perspective. The Barrow-downs are too far away to make any difference in the battles being fought in Rhovanion. I hate the kind of sloppy screenwriting that would just 'magick' them there instantly. I hated it when Peter Jackson showed little to no respect for the distances involved in traveling across Middle-earth. Middle-earth shouldn't work that way.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 13 2017, 4:42pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 17 2017, 4:21pm

Post #7 of 7 (334 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Imrahil was awesome in the book and it was a shame he was cut from the movie.

1) FOTR 2) ROTK 3) AUJ 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.