Favorite chapter of the Silmarillion

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 12 2017, 4:38pm

Post #1 of 15 (2890 views)
Shortcut
Favorite chapter of the Silmarillion Can't Post

Hey everybody!

Last year around this time I asked everyone when did they first read the Silmarillion, this time around I'm asking what is everyone's favorite chapter?

Luthien and Beren and Children of Hurin are my favorite popular chapters, but if I was to say my favorite "not as main chapter" I found the story of Eol the Dark Elf and Aredhel very interesting.

Cheers!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 12 2017, 8:41pm

Post #2 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut
Beren & Luthien [In reply to] Can't Post

That ranks as my #1. It is one of the most hopeful chapters in an otherwise grind-you-down kind of book, and the heroism is inspiring.

Tying for #2 would be the Voyage of Earendil--it gives insight into the natures of both Elves & Men, plus it wraps up a lot of threads. But mostly I like the voyage, including Elwing's desperate flight as a bird, collapsing at Earendil's feet, and then their brief time in Valinor.

The other tie for #2 is Of the Nolder in Beleriand, because there's a lot of dialogue and it gives insight into favorite characters like Finrod & Galadriel.

Great question, Oldest!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 12 2017, 9:52pm

Post #3 of 15 (2815 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really loved Beren and Luthien, it was such a beautiful love story and it makes it more beautiful that it was about the beloved Professor and his wife!Heart

Both the Voyage of Earendil and The Nolder in Beleriand were great ones. I want to go through chapters of the book again and reread the different stories out of that book.Wink

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 1:49pm

Post #4 of 15 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Flight of the Noldor (but only just) [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the Silmarillion heavy going, myself. I prefer the style that Tolkien uses in LOTR, whereas A lot of the Sil reads like material from the LOTR Appendices.

Then suddenly we're right in there with Feanor - one of Tolkien's best characters - and his dilemma about whether to hand over his finest sub-creations, or whether to rebel. It's even better that we readers know the Silmarils have already been stolen, and the characters don't (except Mandos maybe).

Then, after some pages of rebellion, blasphemy, civil war damnation and adventure, it 'goes back to sleep again' - back into Appendix mode - pretty much until we make it to Beren and Luthien. Then I like that bit too - again, we're into a much more immediate style.

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

enanito
Rohan

Oct 13 2017, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 15 (2726 views)
Shortcut
Fingolfin and Morgoth in mortal combat [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect my tolerance level for the Silmarillion might be a tad greater than others, in that it doesn't seem to be as 'heavy lifting' for me as for some others. That said, LOTR flows much easier into my mind, that's for sure!

While "Of Beren and Lúthien" is always great reading, I also really enjoy the preceding chapter, "Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin". I never tire of reading about Fingolfin's challenge to Melkor, basically doing something the Valar themselves couldn't quite ever be bothered to do. And then of course the fall of Beleriand along with Húrin and Huor's travails, all set the bleak stage for the redeeming tale of hope that is Beren and Lúthien.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2017, 8:47pm

Post #6 of 15 (2722 views)
Shortcut
Can I have a vote for Unnumbeared Tears? [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think that is quite a sensational chapter and written in very few pages. But it covers a lot and involvs just about everyone Elf, Man and Orc. I like the way we almost know at the start that things are not going to work out well, but we have a glimmer of hope and from then on it is all despair. With a little hope at the end. And a bit of desperate heroism which is essential to the tale, but on the other hand, who would volunteer to do it? Plus with my life the way it is and my beliefs about the real world, I can relate to desperate defeat better than glorious victory!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 15 (2717 views)
Shortcut
I can--and have!--read Fingolfin vs Morgoth over and over and over again. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the best parts of the whole book.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Oct 13 2017, 8:57pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 8:59pm

Post #8 of 15 (2714 views)
Shortcut
I was considering Unnumbered Tears as another tie for #2 [In reply to] Can't Post

It's got a lot going for it, for all the reasons you give. And it has a feel similar to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, where the tide of battle sways back and forth several times. On first read, I really thought they might win and wasn't sure what the chapter title referred to.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 9:02pm

Post #9 of 15 (2716 views)
Shortcut
"rebellion, blasphemy, civil war, damnation and adventure" [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like some of the juiciest bits of the Bible, the parts that are made into movies. Just another reason why someday we can hope The Sil makes it on screen in some format.

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 14 2017, 1:29pm

Post #10 of 15 (2695 views)
Shortcut
Unnumbered Tears is the most intense chapter for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I finish that one, I feel exhausted, as if I'd been fighting the whole battle myself.

Fingolfin vs Morgoth is also an adrenalin rush.

But for overall favorite chapter, I'll go with B&L. Heart

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Khim
Bree

Oct 14 2017, 2:44pm

Post #11 of 15 (2686 views)
Shortcut
To not answer your question... [In reply to] Can't Post

As an adolescent I immersed myself in all things Middle-earth. Of course, back then there wasn't very much to immerse oneself in, just The Hobbit and the LOTR. I was 13 when The Silmarillion came out and I immediately read it and enjoyed it very much, despite its unusual style. Off hand it is difficult for me to pick a favorite chapter, but I do recall vividly being moved by "Of Tour and His Coming to Gondolin," when I read it a few years later in "Unfinished Tales." That abandoned narrative was the moment I began to truly regret that Tolkien hadn't left us more to explore.

I am Khim akin to Mim.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 14 2017, 4:39pm

Post #12 of 15 (2678 views)
Shortcut
With you and CuriousG on this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can feel the hair rising on the back of my neck, just contemplating a re-read.

I almost prefer Beren and Luthien in the poetic form, but either way it's easily an equal favorite--or my favorite lengthy narrative.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 19 2017, 7:13pm

Post #13 of 15 (2367 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion is a very heavy book [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right on the way it is written, in my opinion its more like a history book than an actual story like LOTR. But we all know it is a story, just more written like a historyWink.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 19 2017, 7:16pm

Post #14 of 15 (2363 views)
Shortcut
I definitely agree with you over Luthien and Beren [In reply to] Can't Post

being a redeeming chapter of hope in the book. The Silmarillion is a much sadder and darker book, with alot of the main heroes getting slain, I think that Luthien and Beren's story was a bit of a break in the oncoming dark feel of the book, it brought some light into this particular tale.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 19 2017, 7:18pm

Post #15 of 15 (2365 views)
Shortcut
That is also an excellent chapter! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.