Santa Rosa fire
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2017, 11:31pm

Post #1 of 41 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Santa Rosa fire Can't Post

I don't know how much this news has gotten coverage outside of California, but there's a devastating fire burning in the Napa wine country right now. It's actually several fires, all burning out of control in heavily populated areas. They have evacuated at least 20,000 people and more are in danger. The devastation is awful and the death toll is going to be high - likely much higher than the media is reporting as yet, because it's moving so fast a lot of people didn't have enough warning to evacuate. My brother is one of the firefighters sent from other cities to help. He says there are no "back-up crews", all responders who arrive are immediately needed on the front lines. His crew arrived yesterday morning, and went to work immediately, fighting the fire for the rest of the day and all through the night. They finally got a brief break this afternoon before heading off to their next area of attack. He'll be deployed there for at least 10 days. They are fighting to save structures in extremely dangerous conditions, while burning trees and buildings fall around them on all sides.

Prayers, please, for all those whose homes and families are being destroyed or threatened, and for all the emergency personnel who are walking straight into danger to help them.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Oct 10 2017, 11:33pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 11 2017, 2:44am

Post #2 of 41 (943 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, oh yes. I didn't realize [In reply to] Can't Post

how fast moving these fires are. Prayers for all, and for protection for your brother and his fellow firefighters.

This is courage beyond anything I can imagine.

Thanks so much for letting us know, and do keep us updated as you can.Heart

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2017, 3:06am

Post #3 of 41 (933 views)
Shortcut
My best wishes to your brother [In reply to] Can't Post

and everyone caught up in the fires.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2017, 11:24am

Post #4 of 41 (906 views)
Shortcut
The fires are eating everything in their path! [In reply to] Can't Post

Prayers for your brother and all of those affected by these horrific fires!!! The firefighters get no rest and are so drained by the heat and heavy work! I'm so scared for them!

The news here in Michigan showed satellite views of California at night and how so much of the state is lit up from the fires. I cry when I see how many neighborhoods have been wiped out... and the number of people missing is terrifying.

Prayers for all and that the fires end soon... but especially for your Brother! *hugs* AND for any of our sibs in the area!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 11 2017, 11:25am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2017, 3:57pm

Post #5 of 41 (896 views)
Shortcut
It's horrifying how fast that's been moving. [In reply to] Can't Post

And some of the gusts are close to hurricane-strength; it's amazing more lives have not been lost. Unsure

Prayers for those affected, all the homes/ businesses lost, and especially those fighting these flames, they're in the front line of danger! Let us know how he's doing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ciars
Rohan

Oct 11 2017, 6:24pm

Post #6 of 41 (887 views)
Shortcut
Sending prayers [In reply to] Can't Post

This is being covered on news channels here too. It looks like a war zone, the fire fighters are really putting everything on the line in their efforts to protect lives and homes, their bravery and willingness to go into such a dangerous zone is awe inspiring, I hope and pray that they all keep safe. I’d just read a story about a couple lost in the fires who had just celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary, it was so sad to read, my sympathy and prayers go out to all lost and all affected by the fires.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 11 2017, 7:37pm

Post #7 of 41 (875 views)
Shortcut
Prayers your way. [In reply to] Can't Post

God help them all.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 11 2017, 7:47pm

Post #8 of 41 (877 views)
Shortcut
Prayers for everyone's safety [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand there is almost no containment, at least of last evening. It sounds horrible.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 11 2017, 11:16pm

Post #9 of 41 (860 views)
Shortcut
Watching it from our deck. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tubbs fire started just outside Calistoga CA, which is in the northern Napa Valley just a ridgeline away from us, and burned southwest into Santa Rosa. It's still burning out of control so far as we can tell. It's also been progressing somewhat northeast towards us, and we've been watching the smoke plumes all day. We have valuables packed up in our trucks and are ready to go if and when. The devastation is horrible from what we can see from news reports. The Mr. has dragged extensively around the house with his backhoe and we've wet everything down as best we can. Our son and his fiance are here to help too which is wonderful. Such an awful feeling seeing what's happening. Our hearts go out to everyone who has lost their homes. Currently the winds are tending to blow our side of the fire back on itself which should help. We're just hoping for the best here.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2017, 11:53pm

Post #10 of 41 (852 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother was working the Tubbs fire last I heard. I'm glad to hear you're on the side where the wind is currently in your favor! I hope it stays that way. Stay safe! Heart

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2017, 1:25am

Post #11 of 41 (834 views)
Shortcut
Please let us know how things progress in your area? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear you're ready to go but I hope the fire stays well away from you.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 12 2017, 1:33am

Post #12 of 41 (826 views)
Shortcut
Prayers for your brother's (& everyone's) safety! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 12 2017, 1:37am

Post #13 of 41 (833 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Silverlode [In reply to] Can't Post

Winds are calm this evening so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Many many thanks to your brother for his hard work! Please let him know we so appreciate it.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 12 2017, 1:41am

Post #14 of 41 (832 views)
Shortcut
So far, so good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Winds are calm this evening which will help firefighters in their efforts to get a grip on this monster. We are all ready to go if we need to, with the exception of loading my horse. Got the trailer all hooked up and ready. We're hoping and praying this will end soon, and sending our best to all who have lost so much. Thanks so much for your thoughts, Ataahua.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 3:24am

Post #15 of 41 (820 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the wind blows the fire back onto itself. All the fuel is gone. I can't even imagine what it's like for you now. Flooding and wind in the southeast and fire and wind in the west. Please be careful! You have to hope the roads stay open and passable and your home is safe! *massive hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 12 2017, 4:02am

Post #16 of 41 (818 views)
Shortcut
Sending positive thoughts your way [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you and your family are keeping level heads and are as prepared as you can possibly be. Good for you. Smile Sending positive thoughts and prayers that the winds die down to give the firefighters a chance and to keep the fires from spreading.

*HUGS*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 12 2017, 4:07am

Post #17 of 41 (817 views)
Shortcut
I just saw an update - 22 fires [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just mind-boggling. No wonder the firefighters are stretched so thin. I hope your brother has the chance to get some rest. Bless him and all the other firefighters working so hard to save homes and lives. Heart Please convey how much we appreciate what he and the other firefighters are doing, and that many people are cheering them on from all over the globe.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 12 2017, 11:32am

Post #18 of 41 (797 views)
Shortcut
Best of luck to you, Ettelwen--I hope you can stay safely in place. [In reply to] Can't Post

And at the same time, glad you're so prepared.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 3:24pm

Post #19 of 41 (775 views)
Shortcut
my former sister-in-law and her daughter among them [In reply to] Can't Post

The fire came to within feet of her business, says my SIL, and close their home (forcing their evacuation) but fortunately spared both. But she sounds like she's in shock, it happened so fast.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 4:06pm

Post #20 of 41 (766 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank Goodness! Of course they have to worry that it could turn around again!

Geez... the people in your world have been facing so many horrors! YOU BE CAREFUL!!!! Chew your food carefully! Look both way before crossing the road! GET SOME ICE CREAM!!!

*hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 41 (758 views)
Shortcut
the irony [In reply to] Can't Post

- noted by the local news - is that she runs a fireplace store.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2017, 7:50pm

Post #22 of 41 (744 views)
Shortcut
ok... that's weird... and cool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 13 2017, 5:44am

Post #23 of 41 (747 views)
Shortcut
I spoke to my brother briefly tonight. [In reply to] Can't Post

He said they worked almost straight through the first 48 hours but now some more crews have arrived so he's getting the night to rest and will be back at it in the morning. I passed on the thanks from everyone here. The situation is so huge and awful it's hard for them to feel like they're really accomplishing anything, as they can only save a tiny percentage of what's in danger, but he really appreciates the prayers.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 13 2017, 11:17am

Post #24 of 41 (724 views)
Shortcut
Beyond exhausted [In reply to] Can't Post

Your brother and those on the vast fronts must still feel the exhaustion down into their bones. I saw where reinforcements were arriving... thank Goodness. But the fires are so widespread. How far away would he and the others have to go to get out of the firezone? I'm glad you told him about us...

I saw on the news that they were interviewing one man standing infront of his modest home in the smoke where the fire had just gone through. He said he had grabbed a group of firefighters and pleaded with them to save his home... and they did. The man was heaving in tears as he tried to express his gratitude and honour for those firefighters.

One home at a time... what they're doing foot by foot, mile by mile, home by home makes such a difference. Incredible people.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 13 2017, 12:42pm

Post #25 of 41 (709 views)
Shortcut
You know you're exhausted beyond all normality when you can sleep on concrete in daylight. Real heroes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.